Need help with choosing which canal phones
Apr 13, 2005 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

snukster

Head-Fier
I know there a bajillion threads on the canal headphones I'm about to mention, but I couldb't find one specific to my issue. I have a Zen Micro and recently my stock buds stopped working. And now, I'd like a pair with better SQ. Choices are:

Sony x71s
Sharp MD33s
Pansonic HJ(something)
Senn X400/500

I already have the Sony's but have lost the silicone things. I liked them, but they got a bit too tangly. I thought maybe the other headphones were worth a try. As for the MD33s, but sister is currently working in Japan. How much do they cost over there? I read the fabolous review on the Pansonics which has made me want to try them out. I've heard they Senns are not only inexpenive but wonders as well. Which do you think I should go for?

Apr 13, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #2 of 15
What's your budget? I'd shoot for the ER-6i, E2c or E3c. The E3c being the most expensive, followed by the ER-6i then the E2c. The E3c and ER-6i are incredible canalphones...I think the ER-6i can be had for a street price of $90ish. I want to say the E3cs are more like 120 something but I'm not sure. Most people around here will probably tell you that the ER-6is are more detailed and "hi-fi" and the E3cs have a more fun sound and better bass. With a good source and good EQ though, the ER-6i don't lack much bass (but that's difficult with portables so...)

Apr 13, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 15
If you want to spend more, I'd second the three that the above poster mentioned. Other than that, the Panasonics seem to be the best.

Apr 13, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.karmalicious
If you want to spend more, I'd second the three that the above poster mentioned. Other than that, the Panasonics seem to be the best.

err...I think the Sharp one is but it's probably the most expensive.

Apr 13, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by snukster
My budget is tight...under $40 but preferably around 20.

Then go with either the mx-X50, mx-X00, or Panasonic HJ depending on whether or not you need isolation (panasonic if you do) or if you dont mind the lack of isolation that much (mx-450 or mx-400 depending on your taste in music, for more info on the two see other thread comparisons). I think someone has done a comparison between these two or three headphones (they are likely to have done a comparison between one of the mx and the HJ, not both mx vs. the HJ) so it would be interesting to see how their SQ matches up.

Apr 13, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #8 of 15
I dunno, you could try a nice Sennheiser bud with a SlicSound earpiece, and see what that does for you. I tried them with iRiver stock buds. Although I liked the improvement, the tips don't fit my ears well at all. My ER6i's however, totally blew me away.

etysmile.gif
Abe

Apr 14, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #11 of 15
i have the ex71s, md33s, and mx300s

sq: md33>mx300>ex71
comfort and stayability: md33=ex71 >mx300
cord material: mx300>md33>ex71
(the sony cord is more rubbery and gets tangled the easiest)

i havent heard the panasonics;
if you want earbuds, mx series, if you want canalphones go md33 - although the panasonics might be better for you since theyre cheaper. I might say just go for the panasonics.

Apr 14, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #12 of 15
I recommend Panasonic HJE50 over Sennheieser MX series. IMO, they sound better for all types of music unlike MX which is bass deficient and rolled off highs. Panasonic is super bright though its great for rock.

Apr 14, 2005 at 8:40 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by snukster
SlicSound? What's that?

...Did you go to Gshan's link? Silicone earpiece adaptors, and even though they don't work for me, I can probably hook them up to the EH220's (look at my profile for a description on those
biggrin.gif
)I gave to my little sister for an improvement. I will say I do like the EH220's more than my iRiver stock buds, and they were always darker, but less harsh unequalized. Good for a set of buds that cheap.
etysmile.gif
Abe

Apr 14, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #14 of 15
Love my Panasonics.....got them for about $20 at Buy.com a couple weeks ago. Nicely broken in now, from LOTR sound tracks to Zep boot's from the '70's...they're making me very happy! Learned about them here and am very appreciative!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back