Need help with choosing IEMs
May 31, 2016 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Wirez83

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I am here looking for help.

It's been ages since I used IEMs and I am back in the market for a pair.

Firstly I do not want something that hooks over the ear.
I have previously used etymotic 4s which I found way too bass shy. I liked the triple fi and the hippo VB.
I currently use Beyer DT880s with a tube amp for my desktop rig.

My budget is flexible but lets limit it to $150 for now. I don't want something that needs an amp.

Please help me out with some recommendations to narrow down my list to audition.
I listen mainly to Rock and Jazz.

Thank you :)

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 14
My go-to resource for IEM recommendations is the Buyer's Guide on The Headphone List, updated for 2016. It lists recommended IEMs by sound signature and price. The site is headed by ljokerl, who is pretty much a Head-Fi legend when it comes to reviewing IEMs, so you know the recommendations are good.

Jun 1, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 14
Try Dunu DN1000. V-shaped and fun sounding.

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #5 of 14
Hey guys thanks for the responses so far !

I'm strongly leaning towards the alpha delta AD01 as I am in Singapore myself.
The Dunu DN1000 are almost twice the price of those.

Any strong reason against getting the AD01 ? How is the build quality and fit ?

Jun 1, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #7 of 14
The Fidue A73 has an over-ear fit, which the OP does not want. To the OP, I owned a pair of Alpha and Delta AD01 for a little bit, but one of the MMCX connectors started cutting in and out, so I returned it. The fit is similar to other barrel-type IEM designs, but the length of the barrels is a bit too long; they stick out of your ears quite a bit. I would recommend the Phillips Fidelio S2 over it for a more balanced sound without anemic bass response. Also consider the VSonic GR07 Bass Edition, which is usually worn over-ear, but I wear them straight down without any issues. They provide more isolation and less sound leakage than the S2, but are more sibilant.

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #9 of 14
  GR07 DUNU and A&D are all available from lendmeurears!
Gonna drop by this weekend and pick a winner from the lot.

Thanks for all the help :)

They have a great range there. You'll have a good time.

One of the best IEMs they have there is the FLC8S. Be sure to listen to it.

Jun 5, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #13 of 14
Se215s now have a poor price perfomance ratio when compared with today's offerings. I would only recommend them to those who like forward mids A LOT

Agreed, I would only recommend them if they need a dedicated stage monitor with bulletproof build quality, not based on sound quality alone. To the OP, did you get the GR07 Classic or Bass Edition? Also, congrats on your purchase, hope you enjoy them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back