need help with amp+dac set up
Jun 27, 2018 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

therckr123

New Head-Fier
I have the fulla 2 and recently just got the vali 2 from schiit. How do I set up the fulla 2 as a dac only with my vali 2 amp? I tried doing it by myself but wasnt successful. I tried connecting an aux cable to the fulla 2 through the line in port and then connecting a rca cable to the dac out port of the fulla 2 into line in port of the vali 2 and for some reason didnt work. Please help if you can. I am of course a noob to the audiophile scene.

Jun 27, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 9
Are you using a 3.5mm to dual rca cable?

The 3.5mm goes into the line out on the back of of Fulla (it's got 2... you can either use the fixed or variable depending on which device you want to use to control volume). The rca plugs them go into the Vali's rca ins

Jun 27, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #3 of 9
Are you using a 3.5mm to dual rca cable?

The 3.5mm goes into the line out on the back of of Fulla (it's got 2... you can either use the fixed or variable depending on which device you want to use to control volume). The rca plugs them go into the Vali's rca ins

it has a dac out and one to use as a preamp. And yes I am using a 3.5mm to dual rca cable.

Jun 27, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 9
I have the fulla 2 and recently just got the vali 2 from schiit. How do I set up the fulla 2 as a dac only with my vali 2 amp? I tried doing it by myself but wasnt successful. I tried connecting an aux cable to the fulla 2 through the line in port and then connecting a rca cable to the dac out port of the fulla 2 into line in port of the vali 2 and for some reason didnt work. Please help if you can. I am of course a noob to the audiophile scene.

You're supposed to hook up a 3.5mm to RCA cable on the line out port of the Fulla2, the second from the left if you're facing the rear - icon is a circle coming out of it (there's a volume control icon next to the other one meaning it's controlled by the Fulla2 potentiometer) - not the line in port with the arrow pointing into the circle out front. You basically took a one way street, made it go one way then two blocks down made it go the other way, then you wonder why no cars are passing through that two block area.

When you connect it to the Vali2 make sure you connect the RCA ends to the inputs and not the preamp outputs.

Jun 28, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 9
Also, do you have anything plugged into the Fulla's headphone out? AFAIK all Schiit gear will mute the line/pre-out when they detect a connected headphone.

The switch that detects it could also be stuck... I've unstuck other gear before by just inserting and removing a headphone plug several times.

Jun 28, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #6 of 9
Also, do you have anything plugged into the Fulla's headphone out? AFAIK all Schiit gear will mute the line/pre-out when they detect a connected headphone.

The switch that detects it could also be stuck... I've unstuck other gear before by just inserting and removing a headphone plug several times.
I did what you guys said initially but you guys didn't tell me where to plug the device that is sending the audio data?

Jun 28, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 9
You're supposed to hook up a 3.5mm to RCA cable on the line out port of the Fulla2, the second from the left if you're facing the rear - icon is a circle coming out of it (there's a volume control icon next to the other one meaning it's controlled by the Fulla2 potentiometer) - not the line in port with the arrow pointing into the circle out front. You basically took a one way street, made it go one way then two blocks down made it go the other way, then you wonder why no cars are passing through that two block area.

When you connect it to the Vali2 make sure you connect the RCA ends to the inputs and not the preamp outputs.
yeah but what about where to plug the device that's sending the audio data?

Jun 28, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #8 of 9
yeah but what about where to plug the device that's sending the audio data?

Digital USB input on the Fulla2. Because that's what the DAC is for. Its line input isn't connected to its line output, only to its headphone amplifier.
Computer >>USB>> Fulla2 Input* >>3.5mm to RCA>> Vali2

*connect USB power input to a USB charger, make sure you use the correct ports

If you're not going to use the Fulla2 as a DAC then just use a 3.5mm to RCA cable and hook up the Vali2 directly to whatever your source is.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #9 of 9
Digital USB input on the Fulla2. Because that's what the DAC is for. Its line input isn't connected to its line output, only to its headphone amplifier.
Computer >>USB>> Fulla2 Input* >>3.5mm to RCA>> Vali2

*connect USB power input to a USB charger, make sure you use the correct ports

If you're not going to use the Fulla2 as a DAC then just use a 3.5mm to RCA cable and hook up the Vali2 directly to whatever your source is.

Thanks!!! I got it to work. Really appreciate taking your time to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back