Need Help with a persuasive speech going against iPods...
Apr 12, 2007 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

NtD Gr3nade

Banned
For my sophmore speech, I decided to make mine about iPods (or any MP3 Player) and hearing loss. I have a crapload of sources, and I have a very firm argument, but there is one part that I cant do. As a requirement, everyone must make a historical connection with their argument/topic, and I dont know how to tie together iPods and history. Advice anyone?

edit: Connection to an event or thing in history

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 34
I'd say that linking iPods with history should be the easy part. They basically revolutionized the way many people listen to music.
Take when the first Sony Walkmans (cassette players) were released. This had a huge historical impact on the way music was listened to. You could enjoy 60 minutes of music whereever you were.
Now, MP3 players have eliminated the need for physical media for many people and now we can listen to the majority of all of the music we own anywhere, this is historically very significant.

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #4 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleisgreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smoking

oooo, good one, not sure if it will work though. I will ask my teacher tommorow, but till then, any other suggestions?

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say that linking iPods with history should be the easy part. They basically revolutionized the way many people listen to music.
Take when the first Sony Walkmans (cassette players) were released. This had a huge historical impact on the way music was listen to.
Now, MP3 players have eliminated the need for physical media for many people, this is historically very significant.

Historical connection as in something in history that is very similar, like kyle's suggestion of smoking.

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... I'm feeling like an idiot here, but how are smoking and iPods related?
Are you telling me Im supposed to smoke my iPod?

Smoking in the early 1900's was popularized, made cool, and lead to health issues.

iPods were released in 2001, and were popularized, and are now leading to health issues.

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by NtD Gr3nade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Smoking in the early 1900's was popularized, made cool, and lead to health issues.

iPods were released in 2001, and were popularized, and are now leading to health issues.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up as I just about had the tip of my first gen Shuffle lit.

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #10 of 34
Possibly tattooing/scarification. Similar "everybody's doing it factor" and both (iPod use and tattooing) have inherent risks if done/used improperly, but are safe if proper precautions are taken.

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah i see what you mean. you can talk about chinese exclusion act of 1882.

clarification? Not really familiar with the topic, but could you do a quick summary?

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think this parallel works particularly well because smoking is unconditionally unhealthy, whereas ipod use is not.

-Matt

Due to recent trends in persuasive techniques by popular documentaries this is irrelevant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back