Need help w/ DAC choice...
Aug 20, 2009 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

hedmaster

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I am at a loss as to what my best option for a DAC is at this point.

My budget is about $300.

My goal, to get the best bang for the buck.

My current rig:

DIY computer w/ Auzentech X-Plosion sound card

Features and Specifications
  1. C-Media CMI8770 PCI chipset (8CH audio single chip with DTS® Connect and Dolby® Digital Live Real-Time Content Encoder)
  2. 8CH codec embedded PCI audio single chip
  3. Full-duplex 8CH 24bit/96kHz DAC / 2CH 16bit/48kHz ADC
  4. Integrated S/PDIF output supports 44.1kHz/48kHz/96kHz sample rate in XP at 16/24 bit resolution
  5. Integrated S/PDIF output supports 44.1kHz/48kHz sample rate in VIsta at 16 bit resolution
  6. The world's first DTS¨ Connect logo program certificated PCI audio board
  7. DTS® Interactive : A real-time 5.1 encoder that takes any 2 or more channel and encodes it into DTS® bit stream. DTS® Interactive provides a single cable connection via S/PDIF digital audio output to a DTS® enabled surround sound system by encoding all audio into a DTS® compatible bit stream at 1.5Mbps
  8. DTS® Neo:pC : An up mixing matrix technology that turns any 2 channel audio into 7.1 surround sound. DTS® Neo:pC, based upon DTS® Neo:6 matrix surround technology, transforms any stereo content such as MP3, WMA or CD audio, into a 7.1-channel surround sound experience
  9. Dolby® Digital Live(DDL) Real-Time Content Encoder converts PC audio into a 5.1 channel Dolby® Digital bit stream
  10. Swappable dual DIP type OPAMP controlled preamp circuit (4pcs output control OPAMP IC with DIY socket, 2pcs MIC input control OPAMP IC with DIY socket)
  11. Max 2.8Vrms full swing analog output gain by unique preamp circuit / incredible powerful analog output, improve dynamic range / SNR
  12. Proper OPAMP control circuit (+8V, -8V dual power supply circuit) for high quality audio quality, prevent audio distortion at high volume level
  13. Package contents: Auzen X-Plosion 7.1 Audio Card / MPC to MPC(2pin-2pin) CD S/PDIF audio cable / TOSLINK fiber optic digital cable / installation CD / warranty card / owner's manual
  14. Swappable OPAMPs: All Auzen soundcards support swappable OPAMP sockets for OPAMP upgrades.
HiFiMan EF2 amp

Shure SRH 840, Senn PXC 350, REO 2, PX 200, PX 100

Let's start with the sound card. From the specs, I don't know if I would be better off just running the mini plug out to the rca input on my amp.

I can roll the opamps, including: 627au, 637au, 8620BR, 627sm, 637sm, 797ar.
These are the opamps listed on their site. But, they also talk about adapters.
Don't know if I would need one or not, but it seems to be necessary from their description on their web page. Auzentech, Inc. Sound Cards. Audio You Can Believe In. World First soundcards for Music, HTPC, and Gaming.

I have already tried running a mini plug to rca to my EF2, nothing happens. I don't know if I am missing something here, or if anyone can give me any pointers, or what to look for?

Well, then let's look at external DAC options.

Don't need portable, but portable is ok, if that fits the bill.

Would it be a good idea to run out of the optical on the back of my soundcard to a DAC?

I have been looking at the ibasso D10-small, option of opamp rolling.
or the pico DAC/amp combo-stretching it at $400, but I could do it.
or the Compass for that price. Not too thrilled with the Zero-don't want to wonder if it will fire up every day
confused_face(1).gif

So, this is where I am. I have been pouring over these threads for months now. Which is the reason I have the Shures, and the EF2 now.

As you can tell, I am at the beginning of my audiophile journey, so any improvement will be just that for me-an improvement.
icon10.gif

Thanks for your help, guys,
Matt
L3000.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could get a used Pico DAC for around $300. I have a Pico feeding my EF2 and it's amazing.

Thanks Koven, that is definitely on my short list!
L3000.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 32
I have changed my mind on this one, please ignore
L3000.gif
popcorn.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 32
Anyone? Buehler, Buehler...

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 32
300US doesn't really get you much in terms of decent stand alone DAC...up that budget to 500US however and you have a fair number of good units to choose from. You should repost this query in the Source forum or ask a mod to move the thread there. Of cousre the best bang for buck category is DIY and the used market. Check Audiogon and the source FS threads here....look at anything from the 90's on up in the used market....you can get yourself a really great vintage DAC nowadays for not a lot of cash outlay.

That being said if you want to buy new then consider the following units

Audio-gd DAC19 MK III
Mood Labs Concept
Pacific Valve Fathom

Used,

PICO (reconsider this one)
Parasound 1100S
CAL
MSB Link III
Entech Number Cruncher
Monarchy Model 22B
AudiogoN ForSale: Parasound dac-1100h/d

That should give some types to pour over.

Peete.

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...then consider the following units

Audio-gd DAC19 MK III
Moon Labs Concept
Pacific Valve Fathom...

Don't confuse "moon" (as in moon-audio) with "mood". It's the:

moodlab concept

Here's the link:

moodlab

It is a great unit -- I use it every day at 24/96 via the output of a Monarchy DIP upsampler:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/po...ml#post5899999

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
300US doesn't really get you much in terms of decent stand alone DAC...up that budget to 500US however and you have a fair number of good units to choose from. You should repost this query in the Source forum or ask a mod to move the thread there. Of cousre the best bang for buck category is DIY and the used market. Check Audiogon and the source FS threads here....look at anything from the 90's on up in the used market....you can get yourself a really great vintage DAC nowadays for not a lot of cash outlay.

That being said if you want to buy new then consider the following units

Audio-gd DAC19 MK III
Moon Labs Concept
Pacific Valve Fathom

Used,

PICO (reconsider this one)
Parasound 1100S
CAL
MSB Link III
Entech Number Cruncher
Monarchy Model 22B
AudiogoN ForSale: Parasound dac-1100h/d

That should give some types to pour over.

Peete.

Thanks Peete. I have been pouring over your recommendations. I am curious about why I should reconsider the Pico DAC. It comes with some very good reviews. Could you please elaborate?

Also, I am concerned with the Audio gd. I have been reading the thread on the gd, and it is filled with poor QC. Is this still the case, or has something been done to improve QC? I see that you can buy them through Pacific Valve.

Pacific Valve Fathom is also very interesting to me.

How would you rate the LD DAC? I know it hasn't gotten much press here, but still, the reviews that exist are positive. It seems like quite a good bang for the buck. You get a Little Dot DAC with balanced out, nice form factor, good warranty, and it is a nice small footprint as well. Thoughts?

Thanks for your help,
Matt

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could look into an used Oritek V4, I have seen them for as little as $325. Good luck.

Hi Miguel, thanks for the recommendation. I have been looking at this, and it seems that people are thrilled with it. Some have said this is the best DAC for under $500!

I am keeping my eye on this one, most definitely.

Do you have any experience/ thoughts about the LD DAC?

Thanks again,
Matt

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pico DAC used falls within your budget. Even if you have to strech your budget to buy one new, nothing is going to beat it in the sub-$500 price bracket.

Covenant, thanks for the tip. I have been pointed to this DAC before, and have read nothing but positive reviews for it.

I am very interested in this one as well. It is very popular, and they seem to be for sale quite regularly on this site.

I wonder how this compares to some of the others listed here. Of course, you know I am quite interested in the LD DAC, and how it would compare to this as well. Any thoughts/ experience with that?

Thanks much,
Matt

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't confuse "moon" (as in moon-audio) with "mood". It's the:

moodlab concept

Here's the link:

moodlab

It is a great unit -- I use it every day at 24/96 via the output of a Monarchy DIP upsampler:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/po...ml#post5899999

Gotcha, thanks! I was wondering if that wasn't what he meant. I kept getting google results on how to handle moon rocks, lol!
atsmile.gif

So, you like your moodlab? I haven't heard of this before, though that isn't saying much, since I am such a n00b.
icon10.gif

Thansk,
Matt

Aug 25, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #14 of 32
I'm surprised no one has chimed in about the iBasso D10. It's an amp/dac combo, but can be used as a standalone DAC. It has optical and USB inputs too. And it's $275 USD.

Aug 25, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by punkaroo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised no one has chimed in about the iBasso D10. It's an amp/dac combo, but can be used as a standalone DAC. It has optical and USB inputs too. And it's $275 USD.

Hey punkaroo, thanks for the tip. I was also looking at that one. I have heard it is pretty close in sound quality to the pico. It also has swappable opamps, which I like!

What do you think of yours? How would it compare to the LD DAC, or pico, or any others mentioned on here.

Thanks,
Matt
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back