Need help understanding what type of headphone sound I like
Mar 11, 2018 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

BigEarsMan

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have the following 3 headphones. Beyerdyanmic DT880 32Ohm, Sennheiser HD 598, Sennheiser HD448.

I bough the former to as an upgrade on the HD448 which I've had some years now and is becoming a bit, damaged.

I really love the sound of the HD 448. To me it sounds right. I tried the HD 598 but it sounds a bit muddy to me? I hope I'm using the right term. But the me the HD 448 sound a but more, clear? While the 598 feels like it has too much of a bass? So I tried the DT 880 which I read were more neutral. I do like them more than the 598 I think. But to me they can be a bit high pitched? idk if what I'm saying makes sense. I was just looking for what should be an upgrade on these HD 448, but I'm really not sure what I should be looking for as an upgrade on the sound I already like about the HD 448.

I was looking at a headphone graph comparison on headphone.com as well. I can't really understand it. Sorry if I'm being dumb.

It would be really cool if someone could explain it to me.

graphCompare.php.png

Mar 11, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #2 of 19
Can you expand on what high pitched means to you? Too much treble?

Mar 11, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 19
So based on what we have present: that 5-9khz peak on the DT880 may well be your harsh/bright treble.

Overall, I'd say that you're likely to enjoy "Dark" headphones: HD650, AQ Nighhawk, many planars... Heavy on musicality and timing, laid back highs and smooth mids.

Question: Why does the bass seem more muddy on the 598? if I look at the graph the 880 seems to have more bass but it doesn't sound like it to me. I usually don't see people describe it as bassy but to me it is.

Mar 11, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #8 of 19
There's more bass present, for sure. The 448 drops off quickly below about 150hz.

Some of the "mud" may come down to instrumental separation, varying harmonic distortion values, and the low bass damping.

Many factors at play here... amp, source, can..

Check the graph I'm including of the 650 and your preferred Senn.

Notice the similarity in the critical midband? That's where human vocals come through cleanly.

graphCompare.php

Mar 11, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #10 of 19
i think a good way to figure out what you like is to play around with EQs. you can change the amount of certain frequencies, and in the process, figure out why a headphone sounds the way it does.

Mar 11, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #11 of 19
OK I see what you're saying about the graph of the 650. So that 1000Hz region is the mid range.

Yes I see you're point about the bass on the HD 448. Maybe I've grown accustomed to low bass or something :/

But it's strange to me that the headphones don't sound like their graphs in a way. I feel like there is enough bass on the HD448. And I feel like the 880 bass is less noticeable than the 598 :S

oh btw, is there anything cheaper than a HD 650 you could recommend?

Mar 11, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #13 of 19
The graphs and data serve a purpose, but it is your "feeling" that matters most. 1,000% of the time.

What you need is to find either a retailer or a meet.

Perhaps post a thread looking for more HF'ers in your area... Try lots of different cans with your amp and your music.

Don't have any of these options where I live.

Hey thanks for the info. And you did help me understand the graphs a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back