NEED HELP UNDERSTANDING "BURN IN"
Mar 13, 2008 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sizwej

100+ Head-Fier
Let me keep this short.I recently read a detailed review of a certain solid state amp.The author described how his amp had steadily improved, from the time he got it,to about the 300 hour mark of use.I guess what confuses me, is that i dont understand what would change within the amp (solid state,not tube amp) over time.The idea of burn in when it comes to speakers and headphones makes sense,but i've never heard of any av equipment that sounded different over a period of time.Or..am i comparing apples to oranges?

Mar 14, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 12
High quality caps, and to a much lesser extent, resistors need time to settle.

What was the SS amp in question ?

Mar 14, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 12
ok,so does the same apply to regular av receivers,or ht amps?

btw: the ss in question is the little dot mkv

Mar 14, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 12
regular av recievers have so many variables, it's a wonder any of them sound good....well IMHO they don't sound good for CD/LP playback. TV and movies are the AV components forte. HT amps not so much since they can still be built to hi end specs. A really good separate HT processor/MC Amp or multiple 2 channel amps is the best way for AV. Very expensive ...isn't everything to do with audio though
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's a simple test that proves what I'm talking about. Take your Mk V and use it as a pre-amp in your main system. Listen in 2 channel direct mode on the AV receiver then swap in the Mk V and repeat. Should be very clear which one sounds better. The MK V has hi end parts, a short simple,elegant signal path,executed and built well. No contest IMHO.

Try it,

I tried my MK III as a pre-amp in my main system (just for kicks) and was astounded by the results. This being a head to head against an Adcom GFP-750. I'm selling the Adcom....to make a long story short. No the MK III isn't replacing it...but a similar design pre-amp with more inputs is at 1/3 cost of the GFP-750. Some amazing gear coming out of China these days.

Mar 14, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 12
This is one of those topics that'll be debated until hell freezes over. Like religion. I belong to the school that never lets burn-in get between listener and equipment. Right out of the box, they're in my lineup. Does it sound "better" over time, after hundreds of hours? I dunno. All I know is that if the equipment is good, it'll sound good with little or no burn in. If it's junk, no amount of burn-in will make it better. This goes for headphones, amps, DACs, components. But this is just my two cents. I'm sure others will disagree.

Mar 14, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's junk, no amount of burn-in will make it better. This goes for headphones, amps, DACs, components.

Precisely, Agreed 100%.

Will one notice burn in on an AV receiver, even a really expensive one ? I doubt it. On the LD Mk V ? Most certainly...YES. It apples and oranges in a way. One is a jack of all trades while the other is a master of one.

Mar 14, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 12
Mar 14, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is one of those topics that'll be debated until hell freezes over. Like religion. I belong to the school that never lets burn-in get between listener and equipment. Right out of the box, they're in my lineup. Does it sound "better" over time, after hundreds of hours? I dunno. All I know is that if the equipment is good, it'll sound good with little or no burn in. If it's junk, no amount of burn-in will make it better. This goes for headphones, amps, DACs, components. But this is just my two cents. I'm sure others will disagree.

x2

BTW: your avatar makes me very nervous Peete
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #9 of 12
Seems to me the proposed 'importance' - and subsequent positive changes - of any burn in correlates directly with the cost of the equipment in question.
wink.gif

As some others have mentioned though, I don't see the point of buying something and leaving it plugged in for however long (untouched) while it burns-in. Surely better to be actually listening to it and (maybe) hear for yourself, rather than kid yourself that everything is now so much better because you left it running for a week....

Apr 12, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by fl00r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

BTW: your avatar makes me very nervous Peete
wink.gif

LOL, That's the only way Saddam could lose weight, that and getting hanged..(gallows humor, literally)
biggrin.gif

Whistles while head on a swivel.......ducks......puts on body armor (hey this USED to fit)
biggrin.gif

Regards,

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back