need help to improve sound quality.....
Jun 18, 2010 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

crisco

New Head-Fier
Hi there,
first post.  Have enjoyed sifting through these forums over the past while.  I recently purchased a set of Beyerdynamic 860's (32 ohm).  I use these 50% of the time with my office computer (Dell Optiplex 760) and the other half of the time on my home system (a Creek Evo integrated AMP + Evo CD player).  I can clearly hear the difference in sound quality between the two sources, the latter being far superior. I'd like to improve the quality of my computer setup.  I'm assuming that the soundcard on my Dell (I think it is some sort of SoundMax Audio ESP...?) is the limiting factor. At any rate,reading through the various threads has (unfortunately) made me somewhat confused.  So.....a couple of questions:
1) can I improve the sound on my computer setup for less than $150? In other words, can this small injection of $$ make an audible difference.
2) if so, what do I need? A DAC. An amp. Both? an all in one combo etc?

Any help would be much appreciated.
thanks

Jun 18, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 4
1.  It depends on what you buy but sure, $150 is enought to get a noticable upgrade over an onboard soundchip.
2.  You can use a DAC or a soundcard if you can open the system.  Usually people use amplifers for high impedance headphones, which yours are not.

Jun 18, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 4
thanks for the input.  The only thing about my soundcard options is that the tower is a small form factor - therefore this likely limits the number of soundcards that will fit into my system.
But you think that a Dac would be the way to go....

Jun 18, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
thanks for the input.  The only thing about my soundcard options is that the tower is a small form factor - therefore this likely limits the number of soundcards that will fit into my system.
But you think that a Dac would be the way to go....

Actually, many leading cards right now have low-profile brackets included, IE the Forte.

I prefer external units, though.  They tend to be better, lower price range, and not full of features I'd never use.  (Surround Sound, DD/DTS passthrough, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back