Need help setting up AMP
Aug 14, 2009 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

niCe99

Head-Fier
Hi there. Just purchased a Pro-Ject Head Box II as my Headphone amp

My question is...i cant get it to work. Need some help on getting it to work.

I have all my connections connected and everything is plugged in. Source is a computer

Specs are

AMP - Pro-Ject Head Box II
Wires - Spell Binder Analog Interconnect Cable
Headphone - HD555
Sound Card - Auzentech Prelude 7.1

Thanks in advance.

Aug 14, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 9
volume up, amp is on?

Aug 14, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 9
Be sure you correctly plugged the power jack into it. The headphone amp doesn't have on-off switch.

I had a problem with a faulty unit. It turned on, but would only give me sound on the right headphone, and depending on the volume control it would change from right to left. The problem was that the potentiometer in the PCB board had a big crack, and a condenser was not correctly soldered.

Just to make sure you could try opening the amplifier. Very simple, unscrew the two screws from the middle of the metal case and push it backwards. You will be able to see the board. If you don't know about how a PCB should be, just put some picts here.

Hope it works!

Aug 14, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks so far.

Some notes from what i have done

-There is no power on/off switch
-the "power" adapter is "pushed in" but it appears to be half way in. i physically cannot push it in any further. (i posted up some pictures of it)
-My cables, i plug one end of each into my sound card (I assume it is color coordinated, so i put the red wire with the red slot and vice versa with the black cord/slot)
-The other end of the two cables, i place it in all of the slots within my Amp (ie i tried each combination of In/Out in my amp)
-I also tried reinstalling my sound card drivers to no success
-I opened my AMP but i have no clue as to what you said about cracks or damages; i am illiterate at the art of Headphone Amplifiers...or amplifiers in general.
-Audio settings via the computer, I have not tried anything "extreme" as in i have not gone in depth with that but i did tingled around with that to no success.

Here are the cables i am using
14082009657.jpg

The problem with the power adapter I explained above
14082009656.jpg

Back view of my AMP (I placed that tissue there to cover my S/N)
14082009655.jpg

Front view of my AMP
14082009654.jpg

AMP Opened up
14082009653.jpg

Another view
14082009652.jpg

Last View
14082009651.jpg

Cheers and thanks for the help

Aug 15, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #6 of 9
It doesn't look like the power plug is far enough in. You're probably not getting power to the amp. If it won't go any further in, you probably have a defective jack.

Aug 15, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #7 of 9
Well, as I have had that same amplifier let me tell you the following:

First, the power supply plug will stay like that. There is no way to put it in deeper. I think the first problem comes with the power adapter. Even so I had it and I could get some sound, so that is a minor problem.

For what the pictures have allowed me to see, it seems that one capacitor (on the "another view" pic, at the bottom right of the the pict) is not completely soldered. Same that happened with me.

Could you make a close up of the volume control (potentiometer) in the PCB? It would also help if you could make another close up of the internal part where the power adapter is connected. Look for any solder that seems to be badly done, or something missing and picture it.

Finally where did you buy it from? What store?

I suspect there is something wrong in the board. That is why I am asking for a close look up. It may be that pro ject is having some trouble with late production amplifiers.

The RCA cables should be Right channel for RED and Left channel for the other colour.

Hope you get it to work.

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the help.

I cleared the option of that it is neither the cords or the amp it self.

I brought it back to the shop where i purchased it and it worked perfectly there.

I brought it home and hooked it up to my dvd/video players and it works wonderfully.

The problem, however, seems to lie with my soundcard.

I tried 2 things so far.

1) I tried connecting to my sound card with no success
and
2) I turned on my onboard sound card and connected to that with no success.

The problem appears to be software related.

I am currently using Windows 7 x64.

any insight would be great. thanks!

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #9 of 9
OK this is seriously driving me crazy

does anyone know how to fix this?

Everything is plugged in but no sound is coming out

i set the default device to the s/pidf as well as every other combination possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back