need help selecting new cans
Dec 20, 2014 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sakana420

New Head-Fier
i recently had akg 550's . i thought they were good but lacking bass . is there a sealed head phone that offers better SQ and a little more bass . my price range is 200-350.

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 10
  i recently had akg 550's . i thought they were good but lacking bass . is there a sealed head phone that offers better SQ and a little more bass . my price range is 200-350.

I'd take a look at some MrSpeakers Mad Dogs. I don't own them myself, but based on reviews, they deliver excellent performance, and they are closed cans.

Also, I'd browse through the 'for sale' forum here if there is anyone who happens to sell off some higher end cans that fit in your price range.

Dec 25, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #7 of 10
Pardon if you're tried this already - have you thought about trying some with an amp?  I don't like the hassle of an amp since I mostly listen with my laptop.  However, I had a cheap little ART headphone amp (ART HeadAmp 4 to be specific) a while back that made a great deal of difference in the low end extension with a number of my headphones (namely, Grado SR 60s). 

I eventually gave it to a buddy who likely treated it badly and it broke.  I think it lasted for 2 years of gentle use and about 2-3 of abuse. :wink: 

Joe

Dec 25, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #8 of 10
Dec 25, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #9 of 10
  Questions like these are why we have a Recommendations subforum now. Use it.

Seriously.....follow the one #@?! rule with a finger icon...bolded and in red at the top of this page. This site has rules...not many but they have a purpose. You have another thread and it was linked at the top of this page.

Dec 27, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #10 of 10
  i dont really care for beats . no sq just bass.

That's what the majority of headfiers say, but most of them have never even heard them. Trust me, if you're after nice bass, give them a try. They don't have as much bass as say a M100 by VModa, but the midrange and highs are better. I think the bass is better quality too. Doesn't hurt to audition them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back