Need HELP! replacement cable for HE-500s
Jan 16, 2013 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Super MANSKITO

100+ Head-Fier
Locked on internet and i can't find one for less then $92.  There has to be a cheaper way to do this, they break almost instantly.  Have not had a cable last more then 2 months please some one help. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #3 of 13
You could get someone to make one with some quad cable (eg. Mogami or Canare). Hifiman connectors are available on ebay or head-direct.com

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
Locked on internet and i can't find one for less then $92.  There has to be a cheaper way to do this, they break almost instantly.  Have not had a cable last more then 2 months please some one help. 

What exactly broke?

I've had a cable crap out on me, the original one that came with the HE500 when it was first released. Some where up near the right channel cable, either the wire was pinched and snapped, or the little connector that hifiman uses might have moved and lost some connection with the cable (which really, why in the world did they go with that crap? Horrible idea; love their headphones, but damn I hate their connectors). I've gotten two cables since then. Picked up an HE400 cable for basically nothing (like $20?) which works just fine. And of course I had a custom cable made by Brian over at BTG Audio that is awesome (braided, sheathed, terminates balanced, with adapters for speaker taps and normal 3.5/6.3mm).

Very best,

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

What exactly broke?

I've had a cable crap out on me, the original one that came with the HE500 when it was first released. Some where up near the right channel cable, either the wire was pinched and snapped, or the little connector that hifiman uses might have moved and lost some connection with the cable (which really, why in the world did they go with that crap? Horrible idea; love their headphones, but damn I hate their connectors). I've gotten two cables since then. Picked up an HE400 cable for basically nothing (like $20?) which works just fine. And of course I had a custom cable made by Brian over at BTG Audio that is awesome (braided, sheathed, terminates balanced, with adapters for speaker taps and normal 3.5/6.3mm).

Very best,

Where did you buy the HE-400 cable? I would love to pay just $20 a cable.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

The cable for sale/trade forum here. People get aftermarket cables and basically give away the "crumby stock cables."

Very best,

No where to buy new cable?  I just cant believe that the cheapest cable new is $92. I mean the HE-300s are only $250 how can the cable be almost Half of the price of the headphones thats crazy.  

The reason I m looking for new is because they keep breaking on me I m going to need a steady supply I've been though 3 of the cables already. One sliver and 2 think black ones. 

Hi-fi man was kind enough to send me one free but i had to pay for the other two and i m a student i can't afford to do this.   I love my headphones listen to them every day but I will have to sell them if i can't afford to keep them working....

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:
No where to buy new cable?  I just cant believe that the cheapest cable new is $92. I mean the HE-300s are only $250 how can the cable be almost Half of the price of the headphones thats crazy.  

The reason I m looking for new is because they keep breaking on me I m going to need a steady supply I've been though 3 of the cables already. One sliver and 2 think black ones. 

Hi-fi man was kind enough to send me one free but i had to pay for the other two and i m a student i can't afford to do this.   I love my headphones listen to them every day but I will have to sell them if i can't afford to keep them working....

Well, they are all silver cables, so expect them to cost more.

You would do well to probably just have a third party person make you cables. BTG Audio can do it for a good price.

Another thought, have your Hifimans completely recabled so that you're not using the hifiman connection and instead using mini-xlr (like the Audeze). It'll cost serious bank, but be worth it in the long run if you know this headphone is for life.

Very best,

Jan 16, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Well, they are all silver cables, so expect them to cost more.

You would do well to probably just have a third party person make you cables. BTG Audio can do it for a good price.

Another thought, have your Hifimans completely recabled so that you're not using the hifiman connection and instead using mini-xlr (like the Audeze). It'll cost serious bank, but be worth it in the long run if you know this headphone is for life.

Very best,

I know they make sliver cables, I just don't need/can afford silver.  Very much on a copper budget lol. 

I just shot BTG audio an emaill.  I hope they can help, if they can I will report back. Thanks so much for the advice. In the mean time I will keep searching for a solution 

Jul 16, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #11 of 13
I know they make sliver cables, I just don't need/can afford silver.  Very much on a copper budget lol. 

I just shot BTG audio an emaill.  I hope they can help, if they can I will report back. Thanks so much for the advice. In the mean time I will keep searching for a solution 

So how did you go with the custom cable man ?
please share your experience here :)

Nov 14, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #12 of 13
To John:

The HiFiMan stock (OEM) cables for the HE-500 are "silver coated copper", not pure silver.

http://hifiman.com/Products/?pid=139 

You can call their customer service to verify that 1-201-443-4626

If you would like to make your own cables, you could use either  Mogami W3106 or Mogami W2534 Neglex Quad Mic Cable from a variety of sources online. It costs less than $2.00 a foot, is very sturdy, flexible, non-microphonic and sounds great. To accommodate the thicker cable size use either the Canare 3.5mm plugs which are very robust and very well made. Switchcraft also makes a 3.5mm connector in both straight and right angle that are also well made and accommodate a thicker cable. If you're going to go with a 1/4" plug, Neutrik makes a high quality straight and right angle plug such as the Neutrik NP3RX-B Stereo Right Angle 1/4 Inch Plug w- Gold Contacts & Black Shell . For detailed instructions on how to solder what where to to robrob's post and site for all the details.

Nov 14, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #13 of 13
I'm about to buy the HE-400 Canare cable, so you can have my silver HE-500 ones if you want. Name your price.

Since I have no trade rating on this site, I can link you to my eBay account and you can send me a message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back