Need help re my first headphone amp
Feb 22, 2006 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rpdugan

Head-Fier
Just moved this from the Headphone forum...

OK...

Just got my K701's tonight... So far, so good...

I have a pair of K270's and a pair of K280's. I have never had a headphone amp before. I have two systems...

One has an old NAD model 1300 preamp
One has an NAD model 116 preamp

Do I need a headphone amp? What exactly does it do? What will I notice with a headphone amp vs not having one?

If I need one, what is the least I have to spend to have one "worthy" of the new cans? Recommendations???

Help!!!

Feb 22, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 10
I think there aren't enough people who own them and there hasn't been enough time passed to determine how great the K701 synergizes with different amps. But first you have to determine a couple of things.

What is your budget? Home or portable? Solid state or tubes? What kind of sound do you like? I think once you determine these factors then you can make a better informed choice.

Feb 23, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 10
I think the NAD 116 is not bad for driving headphones.

What do you want to improve over these preamps?

Feb 23, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
I think there aren't enough people who own them and there hasn't been enough time passed to determine how great the K701 synergizes with different amps. But first you have to determine a couple of things.

What is your budget? Home or portable? Solid state or tubes? What kind of sound do you like? I think once you determine these factors then you can make a better informed choice.

Budget $500 or less
Home
No preference
As acurate as possible

Feb 23, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1

Not really sure. Spending time here has "taught" me that a headphone amp is necessary for the best headphone performance.... Perhaps incorrect???

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #10 of 10

I know this is an old thread, but I own a NAD 116 that has served me well since 1999. This pre-amp has its own dedicated headphone amplifier designed to best drive an 8 to 32 ohm load. I have the KRK KSN-8400 headset and the NAD has more than enough power to drive them and sounds excellent with very little to no noise. The fact that it has a phono pre-amp is what makes it all the better. Granted, I would love to have something like a LittleDot MkIII exclusively as a headset amplifier, but I cannot afford it (yet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back