Need help picking a Setup under $150 or $300
Sep 24, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #16 of 35
Most of these headphones really don't need an amp. The most i would get is the fiio e7 or pyle phe7ab.

really. i see anyways, it can improve sound quality? im just wondering, im not really an expert with headphones but i play in a band so i know what a separate amp or equalizer does, it just works wonders but if it's not for the headphones, then i'll just throw all my money on a good pair then. thx for the advice tho, i'd look in to that :D

Sep 24, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #17 of 35
really. i see anyways, it can improve sound quality? im just wondering, im not really an expert with headphones but i play in a band so i know what a separate amp or equalizer does, it just works wonders but if it's not for the headphones, then i'll just throw all my money on a good pair then. thx for the advice tho, i'd look in to that :D

It depends on the specific headphone and what you're using it with.

Sep 24, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #19 of 35
  no, i was refering to zunehdrocks. anyways

TripBitShooter
the M50x is definitely out of my price range lol, would be worth it tho since i like it but i guess not now. :D

was doing some searching here.. i hear these superlux are getting great reviews particularly the hd668b and for the price that's a WIN. and the superlux hd330 does look good too. would that be worth a try. if so any amps you can recomend me?

You will want to look at the ATH M40x.  Two detachable cables.  A little lighter than the M50x.  Glowing reviews every where i have looked.  I wont be suprised if they make it into the next Head fi buying guide.    Much cheaper by about $70 US.   Also if open phones are an option look at the Sennheiser HD558

Sep 24, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #21 of 35
  You will want to look at the ATH M40x.  Two detachable cables.  A little lighter than the M50x.  Glowing reviews every where i have looked.  I wont be suprised if they make it into the next Head fi buying guide.    Much cheaper by about $70 US.   Also if open phones are an option look at the Sennheiser HD558

Cool i was actually looking in to that as well, i might get it to same some money, or just save up and go for the M50X or anything else better

Sep 24, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #22 of 35
Im from philippines, and i just found a specialty shop which i can go to to try this things and decide there. anyways im taking note of all your suggestions

http://www.ebay.ph/itm/Donscorpio-Dolphin-Over-ear-Headset-Professional-HiFi-Music-Headphones-/291090098586?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item43c652699a
A lot of these headphones can be found on ebay
Bigbargainonline on ebay= penonaudio
14 day after item's arrival return policy

Sep 25, 2014 at 1:10 AM Post #23 of 35
Another to consider is the Superlux HD681 EVO.

Out of the box they have a slow bass & upper bass boost (shocked me with how much bass they had, i really did not like it.)

But I have modded them, which has improved them significantly. (I seriously need get around to making a quick thread on my mod. Will edit in link eventually.)

After the Mod, the Bass is Tamed. Though leaves a little more Sub-Bass then what I am used to. A LITTLE bright, though it has NEVER been harsh, or too much for me.

Lastly, I HIGHLY recommend a High Power AMP that has absolute Minimal Coloring. For Example FiiO's E12. It is what I have, and Love it. Its a Straight Wire in terms of how it effects sound. Comes with Gain levels of "0" and "+16" And a Bass Boost. (I like their bass boost, it's subtle but makes a huge difference.)

The FiiO E12 and the HD681 EVO together may be squeezing your budget tightly, but I highly recommend. Or just get a cheaper Amp :/ The FiiO E11, A huge step down but looks like it'll do just fine. Or if you really wanna Cheap out, for for the E6 from FiiO, much cheaper, but will color the sound. (as you can tell I like FiiO's Amps when it comes to Portable)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEXT CONTENDER!!!

Uhh, right... Well the SkullCandy Crushers may not be quite "Hi-Fi" as many other headphones. But they got built in AMP. (Convenient) And It has a Bass Control slider, aka "Get Its B-Ass where you want it to Shake." Not to mention... "Yeeea Maaaan! I got the Hip Schiit here man! ~They see me rollin...~"

Oh Kay, enough of my impersonations of the people I gotta Deal with. And my little reference. But seriously a headphone worth looking into.
It Has the Amp Built in, so no inline big bulky monstrous Amps some people carry... And a Decent but "Fun" Sound.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Next thing you should look into getting is some HQ Music Player after your First Basic Rig / Set up. HiFi-Man has a great low end Media player. only $120 (make sure your looking at the standalone, not the ones paired with their higher end Ear Buds.) Obviously It's going to be a while before you start getting ready for another purchase, but It's what I'd recommend you do next.

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #24 of 35
well, the E11 has already been replaced by the E11k

Sep 25, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #26 of 35
I agree with others regarding M50s. There is also even cheaper option - Creative Aurvana Live and new model (I've just received mine yesterday and they are blast!) Aurvana Live 2. Prices are : AUS$79.00 and AUS$99.00  plus shipping respectively  and you can't go wrong with either of them. They are seriously unbeliveble value for money.

Sep 26, 2014 at 4:33 AM Post #27 of 35
http://www.ebay.ph/itm/Donscorpio-Dolphin-Over-ear-Headset-Professional-HiFi-Music-Headphones-/291090098586?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item43c652699a
A lot of these headphones can be found on ebay
Bigbargainonline on ebay= penonaudio
14 day after item's arrival return policy

cool thx :D i'll try to see as well if i can get a hold of this things to test it out first 

Sep 26, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #28 of 35
  Another to consider is the Superlux HD681 EVO.

Out of the box they have a slow bass & upper bass boost (shocked me with how much bass they had, i really did not like it.)

But I have modded them, which has improved them significantly. (I seriously need get around to making a quick thread on my mod. Will edit in link eventually.)

After the Mod, the Bass is Tamed. Though leaves a little more Sub-Bass then what I am used to. A LITTLE bright, though it has NEVER been harsh, or too much for me.

Lastly, I HIGHLY recommend a High Power AMP that has absolute Minimal Coloring. For Example FiiO's E12. It is what I have, and Love it. Its a Straight Wire in terms of how it effects sound. Comes with Gain levels of "0" and "+16" And a Bass Boost. (I like their bass boost, it's subtle but makes a huge difference.)

The FiiO E12 and the HD681 EVO together may be squeezing your budget tightly, but I highly recommend. Or just get a cheaper Amp :/ The FiiO E11, A huge step down but looks like it'll do just fine. Or if you really wanna Cheap out, for for the E6 from FiiO, much cheaper, but will color the sound. (as you can tell I like FiiO's Amps when it comes to Portable)

NEXT CONTENDER!!!

Uhh, right... Well the SkullCandy Crushers may not be quite "Hi-Fi" as many other headphones. But they got built in AMP. (Convenient) And It has a Bass Control slider, aka "Get Its B-Ass where you want it to Shake." Not to mention... "Yeeea Maaaan! I got the Hip Schiit here man! ~They see me rollin...~"

Oh Kay, enough of my impersonations of the people I gotta Deal with. And my little reference. But seriously a headphone worth looking into.
It Has the Amp Built in, so no inline big bulky monstrous Amps some people carry... And a Decent but "Fun" Sound.

The Next thing you should look into getting is some HQ Music Player after your First Basic Rig / Set up. HiFi-Man has a great low end Media player. only $120 (make sure your looking at the standalone, not the ones paired with their higher end Ear Buds.) Obviously It's going to be a while before you start getting ready for another purchase, but It's what I'd recommend you do next.

im actually planning to, i know that my phone isnt really fit for playing music (it can but it's just not built for that) so im looking at some good players over the web. im also looking at the e11k so i'll probably go for that or if i can i''ll go for e12 :D

as for the superlux, im trying to get a hold of a HD668 b and the Evo unfortunately the lady at the store told me that it's no longer in production... ? is that true? i think ill go for the ATH M50x i just need to save up a little.

Sep 26, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #29 of 35
Thanks for the suggestions guys, in conclusion i dont think i'll be able to get a very good setup at $150 so im going to wait a while and go for a setup under $300. so you guys can suggest something a little more expensive, it can be a combination of amp/headphone/etc or just a headphone :D thx again i'll try to look some more what i can get localy haha

Sep 26, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #30 of 35
Stick with either your original choice of SRH440 or look at Takstar PRO80. You will not need an amp for either.

I do not know of a more detailed headphone for $100 than SRH440 and completely disagree with the previous poster mentioning they're not worth it.  The 440 are an excellent headphone and the pads can be switched out to Brainwavs HM5 pads or SRH840 pads to increase comfort levels. I will never sell my SRH440. 

If you want to look into a cheap dac / soundcard as well check out this one here for just $25.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151280231669?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Put that with SRH440 run FLAC or MP3 files and you will be very surprised how good it sounds.  You'll come out on top with change left over from $150.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back