Need help on selecting a proper sound source for PC.
Oct 7, 2015 at 10:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Oculis

New Head-Fier
Up till now I used an integrated sound card on my computer connecting a set of speakers to the rear of the computer and headset to the front. Then splitting out the front and back into two separate audio sources and selecting front audio (headset) for applications like used for communication and read audio (speakers) for listening to music. I loved the ability to switch my music to headset with a click of a button and all that stuff when needed.

The problem now is that I've bought a decent pair of headphones to replace my "gaming" headset and now with less overwhelming base and clearer sound I hear a fair amount of noise from my front audio input. I've tried switching to rear audio and it does help but the same problem with noise transfers to speakers then. So I decided on getting some sort of external audio source to solve this issue and I can't decide what are some of the best options for my use case?

My first thought was getting Audioengine D1 but I soon found out that I can't really use it the way I want because it actually mutes the RCA output as soon as you plug in headphones in the front of the DAC.
So could anyone suggest some setup option that could achieve the convenience I want while providing decent sound quality. Should I just use two separate DAC's for speakers and headphones? If so, than any suggestions on which ones? Or maybe just buy a sound card that actually has the capability to attach both to the back? Or is there some device on the market with such capabilities?

P.S.: While I don't mind external devices for this task, I'd prefer a setup that isn't too bulky if possible.

Oct 7, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #2 of 8
Excuse my lack of terminology.  But I'm thinking you're in a similar situation that I was in.  I used the Fiio E10 (the E10K is a revised and better unit)  This is a DAC/Amp combo.  So you will use this as your DAC for the speakers and headphone and amp for the headphones. Out the back of the unit (line out?) you would connect this to your speakers, this bypasses the amp part of the combo. Then out the front(headphone out?) of this you would connect your headphones which would be amplified.  Having headphones plugged in does not mute the speakers, both will play at the same time.  You can control volume for the headphones using the volume knob on the E10.

There are many other options that are DAC/Amp combos but I only have experience with the Fiio E10 combo.  Just note that if you get a stand alone DAC you'd need a headphone amp as well unless you want to use your speaker amplifiers headphone out if it has one.

Oct 7, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #3 of 8
The Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 seems to have everything you need.  It's a solid state DAC, tube preamplifier, and solid state headphone amplifier. You can connect your speakers to a pair of RCA line outputs, or better yet the RCA preamp output.  Neither are muted when headphones are plugged in.  It also has upgradable opamps and you can of course upgrade the tube too, although opening it up is far from convenient.

Oct 7, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 8
 Originally Posted by abemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Excuse my lack of terminology.  But I'm thinking you're in a similar situation that I was in.  I used the Fiio E10 (the E10K is a revised and better unit)  This is a DAC/Amp combo.  So you will use this as your DAC for the speakers and headphone and amp for the headphones. Out the back of the unit (line out?) you would connect this to your speakers, this bypasses the amp part of the combo. Then out the front(headphone out?) of this you would connect your headphones which would be amplified.  Having headphones plugged in does not mute the speakers, both will play at the same time.  You can control volume for the headphones using the volume knob on the E10.

There are many other options that are DAC/Amp combos but I only have experience with the Fiio E10 combo.  Just note that if you get a stand alone DAC you'd need a headphone amp as well unless you want to use your speaker amplifiers headphone out if it has one.

Is it actually possible to separate the rear and headphone out ports on the computer with fiio e10? As I don't see any drivers for the unit I would guess that the unit attached would show up as a single audio device and even if plugging in the headphones wouldn't mute the sound from the speakers, would I be able to differentiate which programs should be played on the speakers from the ones on the headphones? i.e., could I listen to music on my speakers while using headphones for a VoIP program?
To better explain what I'm looking for, here's an image of the option I currently use on my integrated sound card to achieve what I'm talking about http://s13.postimg.org/uetm4ynpj/split_audio.png. It simply separates audio streams from rear and front and I can choose in most of the programs where do I want to output my audio and then I have three options instead of two, which are:
1) Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio) -> not really in use, tried multiple times this option but wasn't able to make it work no matter what I tried and there's no S/PDIF connector on my motherboard so not really sure what's up with this selection.
2) Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) -> this is where i plug in my speakers.
3) Realtek HD Audio 2nd output (Realtek High Definition Audio) -> this is where i plug in my headphones.

Oct 7, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #5 of 8
  Up till now I used an integrated sound card on my computer connecting a set of speakers to the rear of the computer and headset to the front. Then splitting out the front and back into two separate audio sources and selecting front audio (headset) for applications like used for communication and read audio (speakers) for listening to music. I loved the ability to switch my music to headset with a click of a button and all that stuff when needed.

The problem now is that I've bought a decent pair of headphones to replace my "gaming" headset and now with less overwhelming base and clearer sound I hear a fair amount of noise from my front audio input. I've tried switching to rear audio and it does help but the same problem with noise transfers to speakers then. So I decided on getting some sort of external audio source to solve this issue and I can't decide what are some of the best options for my use case?

My first thought was getting Audioengine D1 but I soon found out that I can't really use it the way I want because it actually mutes the RCA output as soon as you plug in headphones in the front of the DAC.
So could anyone suggest some setup option that could achieve the convenience I want while providing decent sound quality. Should I just use two separate DAC's for speakers and headphones? If so, than any suggestions on which ones? Or maybe just buy a sound card that actually has the capability to attach both to the back? Or is there some device on the market with such capabilities?

P.S.: While I don't mind external devices for this task, I'd prefer a setup that isn't too bulky if possible.

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card.
Back panel comes with separate jacks for speakers and headphones.

Oct 8, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #6 of 8

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card.
Back panel comes with separate jacks for speakers and headphones.

Wouldn't an external card be a better bet? I feel like something along the lines of Sound Blaster X-FI HD would be both, more resilient to interference and more universal in the sense that it could at some point in case of an upgrade be reused as a laptop sound card replacement. Though I might be totally wrong but I just noticed that when it comes to PC audio equipment more often than not, external devices are the ones that are being suggested.

Oct 8, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #7 of 8

Wouldn't an external card be a better bet? I feel like something along the lines of Sound Blaster X-FI HD would be both, more resilient to interference and more universal in the sense that it could at some point in case of an upgrade be reused as a laptop sound card replacement. Though I might be totally wrong but I just noticed that when it comes to PC audio equipment more often than not, external devices are the ones that are being suggested.

External would be better and the Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 will be better than any of these creative products.  I have both a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD (internal version of the X-Fi HD, possibly with better components and sound quality) and the D1.  The D1 is a better DAC and I guarantee it's a better headphone amp than any Creative sound card.

Oct 8, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #8 of 8

I think it's more external DAC/amps are more suggested, then external sound cards.
I think a low cost internal sound card, mated to a nice external DAC/amp, makes the best combo
Resistance to interference for electrical noise that might be generated inside the computer case is one reason (maybe the main one) for getting something external (be it sound card or DAC/amp)
So if you think an external sound card is more what you need, then get the external sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back