Need help on entry level speaker choose
Aug 17, 2004 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

questchen

New Head-Fier
hi, I am a new babe here and very interested with the discussion here. I am still a student. Recently, I am condsidering to build up my own computer-based system in my own room. How to choose the speaker became my problem cause I found so many diffierent kinds of speakers which has been discussed here.

Before read the discussion here, my configration is Creative Gigaworks S700 (5.1) + Audigy 2 ZS (for gaming) / AV-710 (for music), maybe plus one creative decoder DDTS100 to connect my CD player or future DVD player.

After read some good suggestions here (esp. the article talking about computer speaker has no mid-range
frown.gif
I like listening to some human voice and some instruments besides sometimes playing game), I begin to consider to build a 2.1 system which consists of a "real" speaker and "real" subwoofer and amp. My preference is that It good for music and then gaming and may be easily upgraded to 5.1 system for game and movie in the future.

My budget is under 500$ for 2.1 system, and later add amp. I am not very sure that where can I buy (better online) and what speakers and amp is suitable for my case.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Aug 17, 2004 at 12:37 PM Post #2 of 10
Is your mind made up about getting a 2.1 setup? I'd recommend just getting a basic 2.0 setup (two speakers, no subwoofer) to start. Any subwoofer you get within your total budget ($150 max. probably) is not going to be very good. An amp is not optional, either; you'll need one to drive real speakers -- only computer speakers and powered studio monitors don't need an amp.

Anyway, my recommendation would be to get a pair of Paradigm Atoms ($200 for the pair) and a Pioneer A-35R amplifier ($165). The Atoms are classy sounding and have a slightly bumped up midbass which makes them enjoyable without a subwoofer. The Pioneer is one of the few warm-sounding inexpensive solid state amps, making it forgiving of inexpensive sources and speakers.

Aug 17, 2004 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 10
Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I get your suggestions. But I also have a problem to buy them -- where can I order them? is there good place to shop these entry-level speakers? I found Wharfedale, Polk in amazon.com, but can not find Paradigm Atoms.

Thank you very much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Is your mind made up about getting a 2.1 setup? I'd recommend just getting a basic 2.0 setup (two speakers, no subwoofer) to start. Any subwoofer you get within your total budget ($150 max. probably) is not going to be very good. An amp is not optional, either; you'll need one to drive real speakers -- only computer speakers and powered studio monitors don't need an amp.

Anyway, my recommendation would be to get a pair of Paradigm Atoms ($200 for the pair) and a Pioneer A-35R amplifier ($165). The Atoms are classy sounding and have a slightly bumped up midbass which makes them enjoyable without a subwoofer. The Pioneer is one of the few warm-sounding inexpensive solid state amps, making it forgiving of inexpensive sources and speakers.

Aug 17, 2004 at 1:34 PM Post #4 of 10
Paradigm, like most of the higher end speaker vendors, generally frown on Internet sales. However, you can often find places willing to sell to you online over at Audiogon. There are also stores in most cities that sell Atoms. If you must buy online and can't find Atoms, the Wharfedale 8.1s and 8.2s aren't bad either, though people will argue if they're in the same class. The PSB Alpha Bs are similar in quality and price to the Atoms, and you can buy these online, but they have a slightly different tonal balance that makes combining them with a subwoofer more desirable.

Aug 17, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 10
I also heard that some bad comments on Wharfedale 8.1s, I found PSB Alpha B on http://brandnamez.com/merchant.ihtml...AffNo=44658133, It's pretty good choice, I think.

This same thing happened to amplifier. I also found it is very hard to get pioneer elite A-35 amplifier on line. Could you please all recommend some other good candidate which is available online.

By the way, could you please introduce a subwoofer as you say this pair of speaker may be more desirable with a subwoofer. Forgive too many questions. I really a new guy in Hi-Fi and really want to enter into.......

Thank you for your suggestions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Paradigm, like most of the higher end speaker vendors, generally frown on Internet sales. However, you can often find places willing to sell to you online over at Audiogon. There are also stores in most cities that sell Atoms. If you must buy online and can't find Atoms, the Wharfedale 8.1s and 8.2s aren't bad either, though people will argue if they're in the same class. The PSB Alpha Bs are similar in quality and price to the Atoms, and you can buy these online, but they have a slightly different tonal balance that makes combining them with a subwoofer more desirable.

Aug 17, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 10
Aug 17, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #7 of 10
As a wharfedale 8.1 owner, I've to say the 8.1 are perhaps contreversial but there is no question for me that they belong to the 250$ range. It's far cheaper to get them now. They seem to be love or hate speakers. I honnestly didn't hear to this date a speaker I would buy under 500$ new that would replace my 8.1. Don't know about the atom, they're not widely distributed around here.

They sound good on average amps but scale up very nicely with better amps.

Aug 17, 2004 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 10
Prices on speakers vary a great deal, dependent on many variables. Three weeks ago, I came across a sale at my local Energy dealer that persuaded me to purchase a brand new pair of Energy C-3 bookshelf speakers for $300.00/pair (regular price $500.00/pair). I usually don't have $$$ for $500.00/pair speakers, but for $300.00 these are a great deal.

I would recommend listening to the speakers you are interested in, then look for the deals online. Be aware that buying from an unauthorized dealer may mean no warranty, which is usually 5 years parts/labor.

Aug 17, 2004 at 8:26 PM Post #10 of 10
If you dont mind used, here is an amp:

Nad Amp

Here are speakers:

Monitor Audio Speakers

Velodyne Sub

For these prices, this may just be your cup of tea!!

These are just suggestions and you are under $500 all be it used.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back