Need help on cheap but good IEM/Earphones
Aug 1, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 10
I think you should extend yourself just a little and buy a set of...

Etymotic MC5 IEMs.

The little extra that you spend today, will make for happier tomorrows.

Jim

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 10
Although they aren't my favourite; For that price range I quite enjoyed my UE 200's for about a year using comply tips. I picked mine up for 30 dollars. Even though they aren't absolutely stellar sound, you'd probably be happy with them for the price. I was. They are also pretty durable as well. The only downside is that the silicone tips that come with it are too thin, and are kinda crappy.

Having recently upgraded to some Etymotic hf5's, I'd strongly recommend following astroturf's advice. You can pick up okay IEM's for that price, but you can pick up amazing ones for a little more. It seems the higher in price you go though, the less sound improvement you may feel. The biggest jump is from standard throwaway ones to a decent mid-range pair.

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks guys!
I currently have a pair of Brainwavz M4s. Although in my opinion they're great, but I don't know much about good audio xD
I am thinking about getting a new pair since my right ear seems to hurt when I wear them for only about 30 minutes. It's the lower back of the ear, right where the ear canal begins (feels kinda hard, maybe a bone or hard cartilage?), in case anyone knows how to fix it. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #5 of 10
hisoundaudio POPO iem...bigstrongbass and good clarity. check it out.

Aug 2, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks guys!
I currently have a pair of Brainwavz M4s. Although in my opinion they're great, but I don't know much about good audio xD
I am thinking about getting a new pair since my right ear seems to hurt when I wear them for only about 30 minutes. It's the lower back of the ear, right where the ear canal begins (feels kinda hard, maybe a bone or hard cartilage?), in case anyone knows how to fix it. 

Are you using the foam or silicone tips?

It could be that the fat dynamic body of the iem is contacting that area of the ear.

I think we should find these things out so that you don't end up with the same type as a replacement.

Jim

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #7 of 10
I am currently using the silicon tips. The pain seems to go away, at least the pain doesn't come within 30 minutes, with foam tips, but my ears get itchy after a while and it feels like there is pressure in my ear sometimes...I guess I have sensitive ears :/  

I thought it would end eventually and I would get used to it, but I guess I was wrong...

Now that I think about it my friend has the Apple in-ear earbuds, the "upgrade" from the ones that comes with an iPod/iPhone, and I can wear those for ages and not feel the pain...

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #8 of 10
I am currently using the silicon tips. The pain seems to go away, at least the pain doesn't come within 30 minutes, with foam tips, but my ears get itchy after a while and it feels like there is pressure in my ear sometimes...I guess I have sensitive ears :/  

I thought it would end eventually and I would get used to it, but I guess I was wrong...

Now that I think about it my friend has the Apple in-ear earbuds, the "upgrade" from the ones that comes with an iPod/iPhone, and I can wear those for ages and not feel the pain...

These may be then hanging more of the iems weight outside of your ear creating a kind of torque, if you will.

I am not aware of any quick fixes for that kind of problem.

Wish I could be of more help.

Jim

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
These may be then hanging more of the iems weight outside of your ear creating a kind of torque, if you will.
I am not aware of any quick fixes for that kind of problem.
Wish I could be of more help.
Jim

That might be it, although the M4s are pretty compact by the looks of the pictures. Definitely not as bad as TF10s, or other clunkers.

It's likely contact between the housing of the IEM and your ear, especially if you have either really small ears or dry/sensitive/irritated skin.

I'd strongly suggest either the philips she3590 or the UE200 as above for fit... The UE200 has a good balanced nothing-wrong sound, built pretty well, and is extremely comfortable. I'd get the cheaper on on amazon (~$18), the housing is narrower and angled straight down so you won't get much pressure, and they pretty much disappear in your ears, they come with a hard case that is pretty much perfect for carrying around, and 5 distinctly different sizes of pretty decent tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back