Need help/new AKG K240 driver...
Sep 16, 2012 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ZebS

New Head-Fier
  So, here's the deal... A friend passed me a pair of drivers out of an AKG K240 Sextett he was refitting. Gray front, red backing. I decided to mount them in a pair of cans I had laying around 'cuz I like the DIY side of things. One of my friends was messing around and sent way too many volts through one of the drivers which appears to have fried it. Tried tried hooking it up via mono to a fairly minimal source, but it seems to be dead... Anyone think it's recoverable and/or have an orphaned AKG K240 driver sitting around that they might be willing to part with for a few bucks? REALLY want this to work, and already laser cut the custom mounts...
Thanks much,
Zebs.

Sep 16, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
So, here's the deal... A friend passed me a pair of drivers out of an AKG K240 Sextett he was refitting. Gray front, red backing. I decided to mount them in a pair of cans I had laying around 'cuz I like the DIY side of things. One of my friends was messing around and sent way too many volts through one of the drivers which appears to have fried it. Tried tried hooking it up via mono to a fairly minimal source, but it seems to be dead... Anyone think it's recoverable and/or have an orphaned AKG K240 driver sitting around that they might be willing to part with for a few bucks? REALLY want this to work, and already laser cut the custom mounts...

Usually there are several difference models of used AKG K240 600-Ohm headphones on sale on eBay, for under $100.
This link might help in some way.
http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,429,pid,429,nodeid,2,_language,EN.html

Sep 16, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 3
Well, this is currently a $3 project. I do retrofitting, and I was using the AKG drivers for a pair of the really cheap educational cans schools always end up with. Porting, padding, painting, whole nine yards. I was hoping to keep the pricing to a minimum as I only need one driver out of the things. I've also already cut and filed the mounts from a decent maple wood, so, the last thing missing is the driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back