Need help moving up from ER4S (I like that sound) to proper closed phones (<$800US), for commuting.
Dec 8, 2013 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

EtymoticFtW

New Head-Fier
1st time poster:
This is to upgrade my fun-factor when commuting (train) and working at home.  I want good accuracy & dynamics and a little isolation with better comfort than my ER4S.  I have both a JDS cMoy and HeadRoom Airhead which are just ok. I listen to rock, alternative, folk. Vocals are a priority.  Hate sibilance (duh, I guess everyone does).

Source: iPhone 4S (Lossless-CD) and some High-res 24/88.2 via Onkyo HF Player
Adding a CCK -> Resonessence Herus DAC next week.

I heard 4 different phones at my local store (open & closed). B&W P7, PSB M4U, Grado PS500, Sennheiser HD650.  HD650 was my favorite for accuracy.  PS500 I liked the comfort and bass.

I'm considering Fostex TH600, and trying to locate a Beyer T70(?) to hear.  
Suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Pete

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 3
It sounds like you prefer a bit more of a mid-forward sound signature. If I wanted an out-and-about pair of closed cans I might consider Ultrasone or Beyer, but both tend to be a bit more V-shaped. The Shure SH440 and 840 might be worth auditioning if you can.  Maybe the 940s as well, but they tended to be a bit weak in the bass, though they are more mid-forward. I'm not sure that any of them are so great with isolation however, nor so great if you have to turn the volume up too much. 

Edit: The Sony MDR-7520 might be the go as well, as the closed Sonys are somewhat mid-forward too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back