Need help. Monitor 02 vs Zero vs Aune mk2
Mar 26, 2010 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

miyinan

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am only new to these hifi stuffs and looking for dac/amp combo (an easy and simple setup: laptop - dac/amp combo - headphone/speaker).

I have read a lot of threads in here and still trying to decide among these three choices, Musiland Monitor 02 us, Zero 09 (with AD1852, op627 and usb), and the Aune mk2.

As portability is not too important to me, I am personally leaning towards the Zero. I was looking at the Monitor 02 too, but it seems that it has a lot of driver problems. I am afraid that I can't get it work properly especially I am running foobar2000. The Aune Mk2 is nice too and smaller in size, but the components it uses are not as good as the Zero (correct me if im wrong). And for an additional $10 or so, I'd go with the Zero.

Also, I don't plan to invest in a standalone amp or dac in the near future. How do you guys compare these three just by themselves?

I only have a MS1 and a MS2 which both have 32 ohms only.

Many thx in advance!
atsmile.gif

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 15
the stock OP275 opamp in the 02US stinks, avoid at all costs! the Zero is said to have very low QA...so what about that Aune? put some nice opamps(they will put a swappable opamp socket for $5 or so IIRC), feed it w/ coax S/PDIF, run it on a discrete linear regulated PSU and you'll be there
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 27, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #4 of 15
Thanks for your leeperry. If I didn't read about the thread about hifiman ef2, I would go and order the aune mk2 by now (sorry im very indecisive
frown.gif
). However, the question now is the anue mk2 or the hifiman ef2. What do you think?

They cost pretty much the same. In terms of modification, tubes are more flexible than solid state, right? Are tubes (maybe i should say hybrid, cuz it is not just tubes
smily_headphones1.gif
) gonna be better in my case? I mean I am now just gonna use it as a dac/amp combo without any external dac or amp.

Thanks again

Mar 27, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the stock OP275 opamp in the 02US stinks, avoid at all costs! the Zero is said to have very low QA...so what about that Aune? put some nice opamps(they will put a swappable opamp socket for $5 or so IIRC), feed it w/ coax S/PDIF, run it on a discrete linear regulated PSU and you'll be there
smily_headphones1.gif

You can`t judge SQ of the combos by opamps,
Have you tried these units?

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #6 of 15
@miyinan: I don't have any experience w/ tubes, but you can easily get free opamps if you ask for samples...getting free tubes sounds kinda tough
biggrin.gif

and I wouldn't base my judgment only on what's being said here on head-fi, just a friendly advice.

@sonci: that will be my last answer to you...because you're on my ignore list.

yes, I've owned the 02US...and yes, OP275 is crap...ask majkel.

Mar 27, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@miyinan: I don't have any experience w/ tubes, but you can easily get free opamps if you ask for samples...getting free tubes sounds kinda tough
biggrin.gif

and I wouldn't base my judgment only on what's being said here on head-fi, just a friendly advice.

@sonci: that will be my last answer to you...because you're on my ignore list.

yes, I've owned the 02US...and yes, OP275 is crap...ask majkel.

Thanks for your advice, leeperry. And easy guys, everybody knows that hi-fi stuffs are subjective. So just read and listen, there is absolutely no need to argue on something.
regular_smile .gif

Mar 27, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #8 of 15
Yes, much of it is subjective but Sonci is absolutely 100% correct. You cannot blindly judge a unit based on what opamp is used in the circuit. Without actual audition of the units he really has no idea how they sound. I woudl just read around on information on all the units your interested in. If you can find some units to test that is really the only way you will know for sure.

@Lee, the guy is asking you to back up what you say. If you can't back up your own opinion then you are in the wrong place.

Mar 29, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 15
Okay, everybody. Last and final question(I hope so
smily_headphones1.gif
): uDac vs Aune mk2, how do they compare with each other? The uDac is newer and cheaper ($100 vs $160) and some say that it is way underpriced. Anyways, what do you guys think about it?

Tons of thanks

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #10 of 15
the uDAC doesn't use opamps, that's its strength and its weakness...also, it's using a $0.98 DAC chip.

both those 2 units will have stereo imbalance issues at low volume, and the uDAC is currently the FOTM...so you can't quite get proper feedback on it yet.

buy both, and see for yourself? there isn't million ways to buy audio gear...or wait for one of these two to show up in the sales forum, so you can sell it w/o losing much money.

Mar 29, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #12 of 15
not really, I didn't hear these two units...essentially on the uDAC you'll be listening to the line out of a $0.98 DAC(there's no opamps)...nothing seems to show us that it'd be better than say a CMI8768/ALC888 chip, that's the same price range
redface.gif

in the aune you got a PCM1793, which can actually sound REALLY good IME...pair it w/ some good opamps and it's pretty much impossible that you don't like it. It's also got a S/PDIF input so you can galvanically isolate the computer from the DAC(not possible in USB, so groundloops might/will occur) and get rid of USB jitter problems...and you can even use a cheap discrete linear regulated PSU(which will be very well spent money
wink.gif
)

Mar 29, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by miyinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks a lot, leeperry. I think I am gonna go ahead and order the Aune mk2
smily_headphones1.gif

np! let us know how it goes
happy_face1.gif

basically, you can upgrade the AUNE on many aspects(input/PSU/opamps), and it's got a DIR9001 S/PDIF chip so even cable/transport improvements would/should/will make an audible difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back