Need help maximizing my ultrasone pro 750
Nov 26, 2012 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

exostenza

New Head-Fier
So I just decided that my Logitech g35 headset needs to be ditched as I miss actual good headphones. For cyber Monday I got a pair of ultrasone pro 750s for half price and am trying to figure out the best solution before they come in.

I mostly play video games and will listen to a lot of music I am sure but will probably not use them for movies. I currently have a creative x-fi extrememusic that I bought a really long time ago although it still works perfectly.

My question is will this sound card be enough and with the cmss3d it should do positional audio just fine. If there is a sound card that I am going to need to drive this headset to their fullest then let me know as I am most likely willing to afford it (I have 150 bucks gift card at the local comp shop).

Also what are the merits of a new soundcard versus the one I already own?

Any information what so ever on this topic will be much appreciated

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 10
The Ultrasone Pro 750 isn't a hard to drive set, although it does benefit from more amplified outputs, be it from a soundcard or a headphone amp.

Newer soundcards (of similar tier and higher) come with better DACs and better components, which translates into higher sound quality. For instance, the Creative X-Fi Titanium HD is a very high quality internal soundcard, one of the best consumer soundcards currently available, and the best soundcard for gaming, due to full gaming audio support from the X-Fi chip. However, if your X-Fi XtremeMusic is working properly, you could just get a headphone amp like a PA2V2 or O2, which will then provide proper amplification for your Pro 750.

It's all a matter of how you can stretch your budget.

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the input. I am thinking of grabbing the sound blaster z card when it comes out as it can drive every headset out there and has a few technologies that would help me for everyday operations like having a dedicated headset port so I don't have to keep messing with the plugs and also the directional mic as I wouldn't have a built in one.

I'll report back when I have this all setup so others will know how it works out. I just have no idea when the sound blaster z comes out.

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the input. I am thinking of grabbing the sound blaster z card when it comes out as it can drive every headset out there and has a few technologies that would help me for everyday operations like having a dedicated headset port so I don't have to keep messing with the plugs and also the directional mic as I wouldn't have a built in one.

I'll report back when I have this all setup so others will know how it works out. I just have no idea when the sound blaster z comes out.

Nov 27, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 10
The Z series aren't geared towards gaming, I'd recommend you to avoid it, just like the Recon3D series. Get an Auzentech X-Fi Forte or a flagship Creative X-Fi Titanium HD instead.

Dec 1, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 10
The Z series aren't geared towards gaming, I'd recommend you to avoid it, just like the Recon3D series. Get an Auzentech X-Fi Forte or a flagship Creative X-Fi Titanium HD instead.

Hmmm I've read a fee articles and reviews and saw a few demo videos on the z series and most of what they talked about was geared towards gaming such as positional audio over stereo, and scout mode etc...

What is your reasoning for thinking the z series is not geared for gaming?

Dec 1, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Hmmm I've read a fee articles and reviews and saw a few demo videos on the z series and most of what they talked about was geared towards gaming such as positional audio over stereo, and scout mode etc...
What is your reasoning for thinking the z series is not geared for gaming?

First of all, keep in mind I'm comparing the Z series and Recon3D series to the X-Fi series.

The Z series do have some improvements over the Recon3D series, namely through software processing which is better than Recon3D cards, but still quite a bit inferior to the hardware algorithm implementations found on X-Fi cards. And I'm not even talking about how the Z series and Recon3D series are mainly software based cards, something that has always been the lower end of gaming soundcards, meaning both series lack hardware EAX and hardware OpenAL and positional cue improvement algorithms, just to name a few.

Plain simple, the Z series cards are second (even third, if considering Audigy 2/4 cards) to X-Fi cards by quite a distance for your intended usage.

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 10
Well I read that eax and OpenAL are definitely dead and have been for a few years now so arguing that other cards are better because they do those only shows me your lack of knowledge on the subject (not being rude just being serious and straight forward) so I'm not convinced. Hardware accelerated audio for gaming has been dead for years and that is why we are seeing the current soundcards without real processors. The sounblaster z gives me a dedicated headphone jack with an amp on it and several other features including up to date drivers that my current x-Fi will never be able to deliver. Also the cmss 3d feature is not a hardware based feature - it is all software so saying that x-Fi cards have an an advantage there again demonstrates a lack of knowledge on the subject.

I read and read and read and it seemed that I'm not really missing anything buying this card due to the death of hardware based audio when vista came out. The last games to use eax or OpenAL were the original call of Juarez and unreal tournament 3 which are reasonably dated titles. Sad but true.

It is a shame that Microsoft killed off hardware accelerated audio but that is what we are living with now unfortunately.

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Well I read that eax and OpenAL are definitely dead and have been for a few years now so arguing that other cards are better because they do those only shows me your lack of knowledge on the subject (not being rude just being serious and straight forward) so I'm not convinced. Hardware accelerated audio for gaming has been dead for years and that is why we are seeing the current soundcards without real processors. The sounblaster z gives me a dedicated headphone jack with an amp on it and several other features including up to date drivers that my current x-Fi will never be able to deliver. Also the cmss 3d feature is not a hardware based feature - it is all software so saying that x-Fi cards have an an advantage there again demonstrates a lack of knowledge on the subject.
I read and read and read and it seemed that I'm not really missing anything buying this card due to the death of hardware based audio when vista came out. The last games to use eax or OpenAL were the original call of Juarez and unreal tournament 3 which are reasonably dated titles. Sad but true.
It is a shame that Microsoft killed off hardware accelerated audio but that is what we are living with now unfortunately.

You've read a lot, yet failed to realize that the same features are implemented in hardware and software separately, such as EAX, OpenAL, CMSS-3D, etc. But alright, you probably know best.

Good luck on getting your software based card, kid.

I'm out.

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #10 of 10
Look, I am not trying to be rude or overly confrontational. I just don't see how arguing that old cards do hardware acceleration on processes that are now completely dead is any justification for them being better. Also CMSS 3D is a DSP feature contained within the software so as long as it is being executed there should be no difference between the X-Fi, SoundCore 3D or my i7 running it. Creative says the extra features are offloaded onto the SoundCore 3D, so I am sure it takes care of the CMSS 3D if it needs to be taken care of.

I really just don't see your argument. 

"... meaning both series lack hardware EAX and hardware OpenAL" this is irrelevant as they are dead technologies "and positional cue improvement algorithms" this is untrue as the CMSS 3D is handled by the SoundCore 3D which means it is hardware driven and updated at that.

So?

I am willing to admit I made the wrong choice if I get a good argument against it. I am no fanboy for any hardware as I always want what is the best for my needs and the most reasonable in price to performance - I have no allegiances. In fact if my choice is not the best one I would rather someone tell me and then I would be able to make a better choice. You have just not made a sound argument is all and I am trying to tell you why. If you disagree please argue away as I am not mad here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back