Need help making final choice on headphones
Jul 23, 2009 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dreadful

Head-Fier
I have been lurking around here for awhile now reading post and trying to figure out which headphones would be right for me. When I first came here I was thinking I would get the SRH840's once they got released. Then I started to think it would be if I got a set of open can and a set of closed cans. And I think I have finally ruled it down to ATH-AD700 for my open cans and for mostly home use (because of the soundstage) had thought about some grado's but ended up ruling them out since I wanted a set that would be good with movies and games along with music. For my closed cans for when its loud at my house/travel/and walking(most of the time i will use iem's for walking) I ended up going with M-50's FWIR it seems like they have a fun sound. I had thought about SRH440 but FWIR they have an analytical sound and I just want something fun to listen to. So before I pulled the trigger and ordered them I thought I would ask to see if its best to get the two different headphones or just one. And if anyone else has any headphone suggestions they are welcomes since my mine is not set on these.

My budget is around $200 US and I will most likely alos be getting a Fiio E5 but im not counting that in my budget. My music taste is indie and rock with some electronic and some rap(I only listen to it a few times a month). The bands are The Gas Light Anthem, Bloc Party, Band of Horses, Vendetta Red, Decemberist, Silversun Pickups, MGMT, UGK,Botany Boyz, David Banner, and several other southern rappers)

Sorry if the post is long and thanks for any help you can provide

Jul 23, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #3 of 11
Usage will most likely be split 5between my dell m1530 with stock sound card amy zune 80gb and my 360 once I get the equipement to directly connect it . And I would like to keep the budget around $200 I have $300 but I still have to buy iems my cx300 just broke and have been looking at RE0's . If needed tho I can drop the REO's for now and use that money for headphones and just get something like UHP336 to hold me over.

And thanks for the welcome

Jul 23, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #4 of 11
<3 AD700

They're really just great headphones - I haven't stopped enjoying them and I've been listening for about 2 weeks now. I still get that wow factor when I put them on.

Jul 23, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<3 AD700

They're really just great headphones - I haven't stopped enjoying them and I've been listening for about 2 weeks now. I still get that wow factor when I put them on.

+1

Jul 23, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #7 of 11
Hey dreadful, can I ask you what made you narrow your choice down to the AD700s? I have a similar music preference/ budget that you're working with and was just looking for some more information to help me with my own search for a start-up rig.

Jul 23, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 11
m-50 for the closed cans is the right choice. they are my fun, go-to cans for those late night electronic songs from my itouch. Hold off on the E5 till you hear how they sound from the zune. I sold my E5 since the m-50 did not need the to sound good.

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lustaficko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey dreadful, can I ask you what made you narrow your choice down to the AD700s? I have a similar music preference/ budget that you're working with and was just looking for some more information to help me with my own search for a start-up rig.

Mostly reading about them in the http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ath...thread-400695/ and other random threads where it seemed like people were recommending them alot (I really liked what people were saying about the soundstage) . This review aso helpped me make my choice techPowerUp :: Audio- Technica ATH-AD700 Review :: Page 1 / 4

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #10 of 11
Just ordered the m50s from brianf on ebay for $90 feel like I should of made a lower first offer but its still a great price. Now I just need to order my open cans was set on ad-700's but started thing about sr-60's or 80's again because I am worried about how good they would be with my type of music.

Apr 15, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreadful /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bands are The Gas Light Anthem, Silversun Pickups,

Thanks for turning me onto these bands who I never knew about

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back