need help: iem upgrade for softer sounds and beats
Apr 27, 2010 at 12:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

sayrum

100+ Head-Fier
i am looking for an upgrade to my senn cx500 (out of a d2+, mostly 192 mp3).
i listen to classical (more chamber) music, jazz w. vocals, ambient and trance.

so i need the detailled treble (NO sibilance plz.), clear mids and tight (somewhat deeper) bass.

isolation and comfy fit is apreciated.

*sigh* and all that for under 200 usd.

was considering the klipsch s4 ($59 bargain at the moment) but read about "weak" bass.

maybe the good old q-jays (also "weaker" low end?). am looking forward to first impressions of the t-jays though...

just now i read about the re0 (ugly imho, but that´s secondary), would they be a "fitting choice?

any deals for the se420? would love to try them, never had shures before, but so far beyond my $200
frown.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 18
If you're worried about weak bass on the Klipsch S4 but are considering the RE0, I highly recommend doing some more research. Plenty of reviews out there for both.

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sayrum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am looking for an upgrade to my senn cx500 (out of a d2+, mostly 192 mp3).
i listen to classical (more chamber) music, jazz w. vocals, ambient and trance.

so i need the detailled treble (NO sibilance plz.), clear mids and tight (somewhat deeper) bass.

isolation and comfy fit is apreciated.

*sigh* and all that for under 200 usd.

was considering the klipsch s4 ($59 bargain at the moment) but read about "weak" bass.

maybe the good old q-jays (also "weaker" low end?). am looking forward to first impressions of the t-jays though...

just now i read about the re0 (ugly imho, but that´s secondary), would they be a "fitting choice?

any deals for the se420? would love to try them, never had shures before, but so far beyond my $200
frown.gif

Where is this $59 bargain?

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're worried about weak bass on the Klipsch S4 but are considering the RE0, I highly recommend doing some more research. Plenty of reviews out there for both.

read alot about the klipsch, detailed and wunderbarer fit, but somewhat laking in bass. so what are you refering to specificaly?
what is your take on the lower end of these iems?

Quote:

Originally Posted by spider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where is this $59 bargain?

there is a thread here with link a to the deal.

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sayrum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
read alot about the klipsch, detailed and wunderbarer fit, but somewhat laking in bass. so what are you refering to specificaly?
what is your take on the lower end of these iems?

As a general rule the RE0 is considered bass-light and the S4 is considered bass-heavy. There are tolerances based on individual preferences but as a whole this is true. For me the S4 hits way too hard down low.

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a general rule the RE0 is considered bass-light and the S4 is considered bass-heavy. There are tolerances based on individual preferences but as a whole this is true. For me the S4 hits way too hard down low.

Absolutely 1+ on S4 vs RE0 bass. S4 is definitely bass-heavy -- boomy to my ear. RE0 is bass-light -- extension is impressive (lowest notes it can get to), but the impact (punch, feeling of bass) is not very strong -- it needs a good amp to help with that some.

But for your music types, the RE0 with its incredibly clarity and detail should be very satisfying to you. Bass will increase slightly over the first 40-60 hours of use -- give it some time.

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #11 of 18
Where did you read that the bass was light on the S4? If they are bass light then the review you read must have been written by an extreme bass head. They were pretty overpowering to me (although not a basshead) and the RE0 was closer to what I wanted but definitely light compared to the S4. They both sound very different from each other so I suggest you do some more research on them.

Also check the FS threads. I saw a SE420 there not too long ago.

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you read that the bass was light on the S4? If they are bass light then the review you read must have been written by an extreme bass head. They were pretty overpowering to me (although not a basshead) and the RE0 was closer to what I wanted but definitely light compared to the S4. They both sound very different from each other so I suggest you do some more research on them.

Also check the FS threads. I saw a SE420 there not too long ago.

@rawrster,
devil_face.gif
i know you dont like alot off bass but you cant think se420 is good for bass surely? its by far the most bass light iem i have

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #13 of 18
You should read my post again. I did not mention anything about the sound of the SE420. As a matter of fact I have never heard the SE420 which is why I did not mention anything about it nor will you ever see a post by me mentioning their sound. The first post mentioned that the OP wanted the SE420 but it was over budget so that is why I mentioned about the FS threads.

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #14 of 18
wow, so many posts, thanks everyone!

the klipsch s4 being bass light i read in a german review on hifi-forum.de
but boomy bass is no good for me either
frown.gif

i used to "use" the senn hd25-1, nice fast response in the low end and terrible fit. (my poor ears)
the overall sound sig i liked!!

sound stage pretty narrow.
but i guess i can´t expect much better sound stage from iems...

oh, i also owned the ath ck7, loved the clarity but too little bass. cords broke after heavy usage for 2 years
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back