need help: iem upgrade for softer sounds and beats
Apr 27, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #16 of 18
The RE252 would be a better option than the RE0. The Custom 3 has a "thick" sound and some micro detail does get lost and is not the best option for high frequency detail. The CK10 is an obvious choice, very high level of detail, tight, clean presentation, very natural and realistic, but the top end is a little hot without EQing cut at 12kHz where there's a sizable spike. Tip choice will play a role, i.e. Comply foams to soak up some of that high end energy. A recent addition to my own collection is Fisher Audio's Eterna, a surprisingly good earphone and a great choice for someone who worries about not having enough bass. The bass is extended but maybe not as tight as you might seek. However, it's not muddy and doesn't overshadow the midrange, and the whole thing is really well balanced.

Overall I might lean you towards the CK10. New it can be had for slightly under $200 and will offer most everything you're looking for.

If you worry a lot about bass, very few earphones out there play the really low frequency information with adequate intensity to create a visceral experience. Many will have low frequency information and decent extension but will typically roll off just shy of the subsonic realm and lack serious visceral presence. On a scale of the widespread average, the CK10 fairs very well but isn't visceral. The only visceral earphones I've used were the IE8, UM3X, and Eterna. Some others I've used can be EQed to gain this visceral presence, but most require significant gains on the bottom end.

I would of course suggest the Monster Turbines as well, although I personally have not listened to any version of them yet. Their various models have been highly regarded, so I would not exclude them as great options. Pick the model that offers better treble, and you'll probably be happy. The bass is supposed to be decently tight and detailed too, but research all the models and read up on each and how each compares to some other options.

I toss in the Eterna because it's very, very good and very, very cheap. I'd certainly put it up there with most anything else mentioned so far. Treble detail is good but not strong or includes some micro detail capability like the CK10. It's one of the more fun earphones you would hear though and very well balanced for a bass dominant earphone. The sounds stage is outstanding too, as is transparency and separation. Consider the Eterna the opposite side of the coin from the CK10. The CK10 offers excellent top end. The Eterna offers excellent low end. Both don't really do anything wrong anywhere else.

The RE252 would be something in between the above two. It's more balanced and offers qualities partway between each. I feel the RE252 is significantly superior to the RE0. Frankly, I was one of the very few people disappointed by the RE0 (partially personal taste) but see it as a great option that does little wrong. The RE0 lacks dynamic breadth and articulation. It lacks sound stage and locational cues. I must be one of the only people who hear the treble on the RE0 as being noise rather than musical information on the top end. I'm a fan of the Triple.Fi 10, the CK10, and RE252 which all do treble better than the RE0 in terms of presenting real information. For as much as the RE0 is touted, I feel it lacks in many critical areas. The RE252 is what one could consider a fix to many of the shortcomings of the RE0, but the sound presentation is quite a bit different.

With the Triple.Fi 10 still available within $200, it's certainly an option. There's some good and bad qualities to the Triple.Fi 10, and for as good as it is, I think you can get a little better overall package with the above options unless you were specifically looking for the type of sound the Triple.Fi 10 offers. The Eterna is a lot like the Triple.Fi 10 but offers a more mild top end, a better stage presentation, and a more extended low end. The Triple.Fi 10 does offer more detail information though but at the same time the Triple.Fi 10 lacks micro detail and some dynamic range (everytihng's medium to loud, very club like in presentation).

Frankly, most everything mentioned is quite good. It's simply a matter of picking the one that best fits your taste in music.

Apr 27, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #17 of 18
@mvw2, Good point,You may well be right there. The custom 3 may well have less micro details in the treble than the re252 or ck10, i dont know ive not heard them but ive always found the custom 3 to be very detailed in the treble and mids, the only iems i have that pick out more details in the treble are tf10 and westone 3.

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #18 of 18
Yeah, the Custom 3 isn't bad in itself. It's not something you'd pick up casually if the Custom 3 was the only earphone there. However, if you can listen to a bunch back to back, certain aspects start showing through. The Custom 3 has a relatively thick note, mainly the bass. The treble ends up being a different driver, so the earphone retains a robust low end while also having good top end clarity. I point to the RE252 and CK10 because back-to-back they offer more detail overall.

One thing the Custom 3 does really well is sound stage. It's big and spacious with a good linear since of distancing. This is one aspect I really liked about the Custom 3 versus a lot of its competitors.

Out of the bunch I just have to give the edge to the CK10 though. It simply offers a higher level of detail, including subtle information, and sounds quite realistic, more so than other options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back