Need Help! I am so stuck...
May 21, 2008 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MikePio

500+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

I have two questions, starting with the most important.

1). I have never thought possible that music so simple could do so much with so little, that effect was devestating, Alina by Arvo Part, I have tried all types of music, classical, rock, electronic, ambient and most I tried do not produce the same effect. I am looking for something very similar in structure at least, I have checked Arvo Parts other albums and this one is most unique. Anyone know of something similar?

2). I have also tried Nurse With Wound (as you can see I am open to all types of music) Salt Marie Celeste and I was wondering if people experienced skipping sounds throughout the cd...

I enjoy slow, dreamy, contemplative, melancholic music that is powerful and heavy yet subtle, Minimalist music I suppose you can say...

Anyways thanks for reading!
Happy Listening
smily_headphones1.gif

-Mike.

May 21, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 4
Arvo Pärt kinda broke that mold; there's not much else like it, except maybe his other albums. Have you listened to any of Brian Eno's ambient stuff? One of those might be worth a try. Also, maybe Morton Feldman's solo-piano piece Triadic Memories; it's a personal favorite.

May 21, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 4
Brian Eno is a good recommendation, but there isn't really anyone else like Part. Just be thankful he's a living composer who, hopefully, will compose for years to come.

Sibelius might appeal to you, but he's not like Part. Try his symphonies.

And you might like Galaxy 500. They play rock, but a very slow, quiet and contemplative rock. I love them and Part, so they might be a good fit for you, too.

May 21, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 4
Thank you for the new recommendations!
Litening to some samples on amazon, sounds good!

And yes Arvo Part is a very unique composer and it is really hard to find a alternative to Alina
frown.gif

I am sure I won't get much responses on Salt Marie Celeste since its not known much and is really experimental and hard to digest..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back