Need help getting a speaker/amp setup for my house. Used for laptop plug in, and record player (500USD budget, not strict).
Feb 9, 2014 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ziplock1

New Head-Fier
My headphone setup is ATH-m50 with an Fiio E9 amp and E17 DAC. The setup is awesome, but I can't do chores/host parties/listen to records with it. Ive read that the Dayton B652/Lepai Amp combo seems to be a pretty nice setup. Any thoughts on that?

Music listened too: My records range from Glenn Miller to CCR. If my laptop is plugged in, the palette is Hip-hop and Chillout.

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #2 of 6
Well, the Dayton B652/Lepai Amp is definitely nice for listening to music, although not going to provide loud party volumes. Certainly could be good for providing background music.

What is your overall budget?

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 6
With a $500 budget, you can definitely do better than the Dayton B652/Lepai Amp. That's a good option for people with less than $100.

If you would like powered speakers, Sweetwater currently has a great deal on buy one, get one 1/2 price (speakers sold as each) on the JBL LSR 305 and LSR 308. They would be a good speaker choice even without that discount. The 308 would be better if you have room for the larger size for bass heavy music.

On the other hand, if you think you might want to eventually build an HT setup or plug in other components (turntable, gaming console, cable box) then passive speakers and some kind of receiver would be the way to go.

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #6 of 6
I should probably shoot for an HT setup. The flexibility is pretty appealing, as well as the one thing for all my components to plug into. It also allows me to buy stuff piece by piece over the next year, so I can spend more per component.

I took a look at a few B&W speakers around my town. The Bowers & Wilkins 686's (running 478$ a bestbuy) sounded really good. It was recommended by the dude who works there that I get these, and if I decide to upgrade in the future, I can keep these to use rears. What are your thoughts on that?

A fact I didn't mention earlier...
The only equipment I own now Fisher CA-880 Amp+Receiver that my record player plugs into. Should I upgrade that first, or speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back