Need help from the STAX experts
Jan 3, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #32 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveBSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You and me both. My background is in big amps and loudspeakers rather than headphone amps, but I've always preferred the sound of a mighty Levinson, Boulder, Simaudio, or Plinius than anything running tubes from Audio Research, Conrad Johnson, or BAT.

I think competition leads to better design, and while there's plenty of competition for ultra high end tube electrostatic amps from Woo, Headamp, RSA, etc. on the SS side you've got the KGSS and... what? There has to be some kind of market there for a challenger.

If you already have a nice speaker amp I highly suggest picking up a Pro bias SRD adaptor to fill in the months while you are waiting for your KGSS.

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #33 of 35
My old speaker amps are gone, sold along with the rest of my former loudspeaker rig. That's the reason I bought the O2s. In order to really enjoy music on loudspeakers I have to listen at more than 85dB, which these days I can only do for maybe half an hour before I get listening fatigue.

With headphones, I can listen at 75-80dB and still get the same enjoyment for much longer and without fatigue.

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #34 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with the semisouth part is the input capacitance. Which when you
are running it at 100 volts like nelson does is not a problem. When you run it
close to its voltage rating, the drive power necessary to use it as an output device
is almost as much as the device would generate at 20khz.

What we need is higher voltage p-channel or pnp devices necessary to drive
equivalent low capacitance output devices. Other than the 2sa1968 which can
handle virtually no real power, the next closest device is 600 volts.

You could build a fully solid state version of the T2, it would have even more
parts than the hybrid t2, and with the parts i know about, it could do the
same +/-500 volt trails.

The best devices for huge voltage swings are still tubes. And will always be
tubes.

Thank you, Mr. Gilmore. Since I am not technologically fit to be in the same zip code with you or Spritzer, I will only nod in agreement on all points.

I do fully understand the IP quest, it has much merit, but I have never investigated those matters personally as I love tubes and do not leave my rig on all the time. In other words, my ignorance of SS amp design is more or less complete.

Off topic (but about tube amps), could you entertain two questions? What do you find most objectionable about output transformers for this application, and do you think the answer to ultra-fi Stat amp design lies in the EL34, as per the current offerings? It does seem a good fit, but my experience with other high power tubes is limited to say the least.

Looking forward to seeing you at Rosemont.

Clark

Jan 3, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #35 of 35
Arguably the best output tube would be a true triode, not a triode strapped pentode. Now large power triodes with indirect heaters are a rare breed and DHT's have their own set of limitations. If you can find the second edition of Morgan Jones Tube amplifiers book there is a design with 845's as output tubes for electrostatics. Speakers mind you but nothing we can't work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back