Need help from the STAX experts
Jan 2, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned a SR-Lambda that Germania had recabled, it did not stop them from sounding like a Lambda should. Isn't Jena Labs the company that really messed up that R-10 recable?

That's what the story is, although Jena's side of it of course is very different. I'm not a Jena fanboy, I don't even own any Jena cables. My stuff is Wireworld, Synergistic Research and Magnan. I only mentioned them because they seem to be the go to brand for recabling for companies like ALO and Lawton.

Jan 2, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...why haven't we done this yet? why bother with the DIY upgraded T2, when this would seemingly be much less similar to the BHSE?

I for one would be extremely interested in such a powerful, dc-coupled stat amp, especially if I could avoid using tubes!

You and me both. My background is in big amps and loudspeakers rather than headphone amps, but I've always preferred the sound of a mighty Levinson, Boulder, Simaudio, or Plinius than anything running tubes from Audio Research, Conrad Johnson, or BAT.

I think competition leads to better design, and while there's plenty of competition for ultra high end tube electrostatic amps from Woo, Headamp, RSA, etc. on the SS side you've got the KGSS and... what? There has to be some kind of market there for a challenger.

Jan 2, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveBSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what the story is, although Jena's side of it of course is very different. I'm not a Jena fanboy, I don't even own any Jena cables. My stuff is Wireworld, Synergistic Research and Magnan. I only mentioned them because they seem to be the go to brand for recabling for companies like ALO and Lawton.

Alex at APureSound developed a replacement electrostatic cable but never took it forward. Too expensive and very tiny demand compared to regular cable.

Why do you think that Jena cables might be a go-to brand for others? Think of it from a business perspective.

Jan 2, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alex at APureSound developed a replacement electrostatic cable but never took it forward. Too expensive and very tiny demand compared to regular cable.

I guess that makes sense, though I have to wonder how much bigger the market it is for recabling Ultrasones or Sennheisers. I suppose if you use the same wire for everything that would make it a bit easier.

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

I think competition leads to better design, and while there's plenty of competition for ultra high end tube electrostatic amps from Woo, Headamp, RSA, etc. on the SS side you've got the KGSS and... what? There has to be some kind of market there for a challenger.

And, eXStatA. I consider it as good as the amps mentioned, though I prefer the hybrid flavors. One builder preferred his eXStatA over the KGSS, though most comparisons have been done on the hybrid flavor. Yes, there are both SS and Hybrid versions of this amp.

There is an impressions thread, a build thread, and the original design thread - all here at Head-fi. Too bad the true demand isn't large enough to get anyone's attention, and not enough folks really want something better than the SOS.

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #21 of 35
Making tube amps is just simpler as transistors that can handle 1000V+ are few and far between while many tubes can do this with ease. There is also the issue of finding matched n- and p-channel units which is very hard indeed. Now there are transistors that will work and a high end SS amp that will outperform all the tube units will be made but there are other projects in front of it in line.

Quote:

I guess that makes sense, though I have to wonder how much bigger the market it is for recabling Ultrasones or Sennheisers. I suppose if you use the same wire for everything that would make it a bit easier.

You can use the same wire (which in the case of Jena is nothing special) but the geometry has to be very different.

Jan 2, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Making tube amps is just simpler as transistors that can handle 1000V+ are few and far between while many tubes can do this with ease. There is also the issue of finding matched n- and p-channel units which is very hard indeed.

No matched units but are you aware of these? They are proving to be great for single ended units. Nelson Pass has already designed some FirstWatt stuff and the improvement in noise over MOSFET is 20dB! I believe that puts distortion in the p-p class. 1200 volts, dissipates 136 watts. Minus 55 to plus 155 degrees C.

http://www.semisouth.com/products/up...5_rev1.8.0.pdf

There are high volume price breaks but they are currently $60 US each.

Clark

Jan 2, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #25 of 35
I wouldn't write off a tube amp Dave as the current designs can be just as dynamic and neutral as there all sand counterparts....the days of all tube gear sounding mushy and euphonic passed long ago......Tubes and Stats are match made in heaven in a lot of cases..just read up on the many systems here for a perfect sampling of what can be done.

You can select voicing to suit using any amp type (hybrid/all tube or all silicon) so look at all of them before making a final choice. Your source quality will also determine to a much higher degree (IMO) what the system will sound like in the end. Get it right for the entire system and it'll give you pleasure beyond measure
biggrin.gif

Peete.

Jan 2, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #27 of 35
The problem with the semisouth part is the input capacitance. Which when you
are running it at 100 volts like nelson does is not a problem. When you run it
close to its voltage rating, the drive power necessary to use it as an output device
is almost as much as the device would generate at 20khz.

What we need is higher voltage p-channel or pnp devices necessary to drive
equivalent low capacitance output devices. Other than the 2sa1968 which can
handle virtually no real power, the next closest device is 600 volts.

You could build a fully solid state version of the T2, it would have even more
parts than the hybrid t2, and with the parts i know about, it could do the
same +/-500 volt trails.

The best devices for huge voltage swings are still tubes. And will always be
tubes.

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As Spritzer points out, the 717 is superior to the 727. STAX was forced to retire the 717 due to a design infringement. If it weren't for this, we would have likely not seen a redesign of that product, probably just some very minor changes in a Mk2 version to keep things "fresh".

Any idea as to what the infringement was? Was there a lawsuit?

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't write off a tube amp Dave as the current designs can be just as dynamic and neutral as there all sand counterparts....the days of all tube gear sounding mushy and euphonic passed long ago......Tubes and Stats are match made in heaven in a lot of cases..just read up on the many systems here for a perfect sampling of what can be done.

It's not just the classic coloration of tubes.. I also like to leave my amps on all day so that they are ready to go in an instant whenever I feel like listening to something. I don't like having to wait a half hour or more for an amp to properly warm up. This applies to both tubes and SS by the way, some SS amps can take a few hours before they are really at their best.

Side note: I asked Ray Samuels if he might have a SS version of the A-10 in the pipeline. Short answer: no.

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And, eXStatA. I consider it as good as the amps mentioned, though I prefer the hybrid flavors. One builder preferred his eXStatA over the KGSS, though most comparisons have been done on the hybrid flavor. Yes, there are both SS and Hybrid versions of this amp.

Eh... I'm not one for building my own amplifier. If somebody is willing to build one for me in a nice case with top shelf parts I'd be happy to pay that person to do it, but I'm not gonna trust my O2s to my own skills with a soldering iron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back