Need help for full-size cans with portable rig
Jul 21, 2007 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tnmike1

Headphoneus Supremus
Using a 4g Imod with either Supermacro IV LE or maxxed Portaphile. Usually use either ety4p or Vibes, but also want a full-size headphone while sitting at desk or reading in bed.

Have Beyer 990 and 880, both 250 ohm, but am hearing on this forum and elsewhere they may be too demanding for my portable amps. So, question is, do i sell them and look at something else? Music is classical and jazz. So far, have looked at (altho not heard):

1--Darth Beyers
2 -- AKG 701
3)--Beyer 990 32 ohm on Beyer's Manufactur website.

Any additional input would be helpful

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #2 of 7
I'm not a big fan of portable amps as I use IEM's with my ipod but if I were going to use a full size can from my portable setup, it would probably be the Denon. The ipod does a very respectable job of driving my 5000's without an amp. Toss one into the mix, and I have little doubt it would make 'em sing. Being closed cans and uber comfy is a nice bonus. Haven't heard the 990 or Darths but I can say the 701 wouldn't be my choice in your situation. I think there was a pair of 2000's up for sale recently. If they're still there, I'd give those a long look.

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 7
I would not choose any of the phones you listed. They are not built for portable use.

How about a more efficient headphone built to be knocked arounda bit:Creative Audio RP-21.

Jul 22, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 7
If you already have a 990 and 880... uhh, there's nowhere left for you to go but Denon or Darth if you want better SQ. Those amps should be able to push 250ohms, BTW... especially the Supermacro, that could prolly push a Darth.

MDR-V6 is a portable closed can and can be used unamped or amped.

Jul 22, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 7
the portaphile will spank the hell out of those phones. you dont need any new headphones, but i wouldnt recommend going on public transportation with your setup.

make sure you get cable management cuz i hate stuff all of it in my pocket and having it fall out everytime i change the song on my zune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back