Need help finding the right portable amp for my cans.
Feb 4, 2012 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

pipe-dream

New Head-Fier

I appreciate the time and detail that this site freely gives to people like me to learn from!

If you have time I have a some information to throw at you in hopes of sending me in the right direction.  I am a newbie to these things.  Please bare with me.

Background.
  I have always loved audio!  I'm 21 years old.  Live in Canada.  I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH PRO-700s that I have owned for close to 4 years, also a pair of Grado SR80s for the past couple years, and hopefully on the way DUNU DN-16 "Hephaes" ordered a full week ago this next monday (6th) from Mp4 nation.  I have got conformation of the order but nothing els yet (should I be worried?). Im a bass head in most regards but I have my soft side too.  And I want the best quality for my budget! (don't we all!)

So I have been powering the ATH-700's and the SR80's via ipod (classic 80gb) for the majority of the time that I have owned them. In the past year I have bought a denon stereo amplifier and have been using it for listening to my itunes both through speakers and the cans through 1/4 jack.  To my recollection neither of my cans properly amped.  I don't know lots about all these portable amp's and digital to analog converters / (DAC?). All I know is that I want to do things properly.  I don't make lots of money (I understand you get what you pay for).  I understand that there is lots of other links to having good sound: Power, connections, signal, differences between high bit mp3's and flac files, etc, etc.  (Only as good as the weakest link)  I would like to believe I have a general grasp for quality.  And I would like to go to the next level!

Looking to properly amp my cans on the road.  *And later at the desk as well as through the rest of the speaker system at the desk. Will probably get a Amp/DAC non portable for this application.  Any information is much appreciated.

Again stressing that I am new to this stuff, live in Canada and don't have a lot to spend.  $100 give or take is a good place for me. (I'm not afraid to order outside my country, but if I can get it up here I will.)  If I am totally out to lunch with what I have listed please tell me.  Otherwise If there is something that you recommend and its a little more money, Getting for better bang-for-your-buck I will greatly consider!

Thank you for taking the time, It is greatly appreciated! 
pipe-dream

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the reply "ultrarider"!

I understand that you wanted to upgrade after the "headroom."  What did you upgrade too?  What features did you want over the previous?
I don't really want to have to buy gear twice.

I have been looking and leaning towards the Fiio E17 model. I'm glad that you recommended this manufacture.  As it's been favored brand (as far as I know).  I like this choice because i'm able to by from a dealer in Canada close by. Also, I like this because it can work as both a DAC for my stereo at home as well as a portable AMP/DAC for on the road!

Feb 6, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Thanks for the reply "ultrarider"!

I understand that you wanted to upgrade after the "headroom."  What did you upgrade too?  What features did you want over the previous?
I don't really want to have to buy gear twice.

I have been looking and leaning towards the Fiio E17 model. I'm glad that you recommended this manufacture.  As it's been favored brand (as far as I know).  I like this choice because i'm able to by from a dealer in Canada close by. Also, I like this because it can work as both a DAC for my stereo at home as well as a portable AMP/DAC for on the road!

I upgraded to a Practical Devices XM6 which , as it happens, is also based in your neck of the woods. Across the board the XM6 better device with the possible exception of the dual headphone jacks on the Bithead. Beyond it sounding better, the key feature I've grown to love is the ability to have it auto shutoff after 1 or 3 hours. I was forever burning through batteries on the Bithead because I forgot to turn it off. I was also looking for something that would work well with my ER4Ps as well as my HD650s. I've since picked up some DT 1350s, Atrio M5s and K701s. All of which are driven just fine with the XM6. It also lets you tweak the sound a bit with a bass boost and or a treble boost button. I use the bass boost regularly with the ER4Ps. The only downside would be the price. $395 stock. More if you toss in a few of the upgrades.

The Fiio E17 would certainly be on my radar if I hadn't dropped $400 last spring on the XM6. 

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #5 of 6
Sorry for the prolonged reply. The MX6 is out of my price range for the time being. And I would like to have a unit that doesn't require me to have pack of batteries at the ready. I think the E17 is going to fit the bill for me. It has quit a few features that I wouldn't thing something in this price range to have! On another note. Could you answer a question for me? I don't seem to understand it completely from the E17 thread.

The E17 is either a USB DAC or its a headphone amplifier, not both? 

Same goes for when using it with an ipod and LOD?
ex: Ipod + LOD to E17 = bypass ipod amp to E17 powering headphones, correct? Not DAC and AMP to headphones.

Im new to DAC's and amping headphones. This just didn't seem obvious when looking at the website.

Thanks again.

Apr 3, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #6 of 6
The E17 can be an amp, a DAC or both.

For example, if you are using with an iPod with LOD, then it will bypass the E17 DAC, and it will act as an amp only.

If you dock the E17 with the E9, then you will be using it as a DAC while the E9 acts as the amp.

If you use the E17 alone (connected to USB port), then it will act as DAC and amp.

At least that is how I understand it works.

Quote:
Sorry for the prolonged reply. The MX6 is out of my price range for the time being. And I would like to have a unit that doesn't require me to have pack of batteries at the ready. I think the E17 is going to fit the bill for me. It has quit a few features that I wouldn't thing something in this price range to have! On another note. Could you answer a question for me? I don't seem to understand it completely from the E17 thread.

The E17 is either a USB DAC or its a headphone amplifier, not both? 

Same goes for when using it with an ipod and LOD?
ex: Ipod + LOD to E17 = bypass ipod amp to E17 powering headphones, correct? Not DAC and AMP to headphones.

Im new to DAC's and amping headphones. This just didn't seem obvious when looking at the website.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back