Need Help finding DAC/ Headphone amp around $200
Jan 15, 2012 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Audiophile2

New Head-Fier

am looking for a DAC/Amp to drive my Grado Sr225i's,(pretty easy to drive). I am more interested in the sound quality of the DAC, I will be sourcing from my laptop and so i need something with a USB input. A major bonus feature for me is having a 1/4 inch jack because any adapters i have tried to use have broken easily. Three amps i was looking at were the Hi-Fi Man EF2A, the Maverick Audio TubeMagic DAC/Amp and for about twice the price, a NuForce Icon HD! I would like to know if one of the cheaper options (Hi-Fi Man or TubeMagic) would sound better than the other or if there would be enough of an improvement to warrant spending an extra 150-200 dollars. If there are any other DAC/Amps that would sound better for around the same price I am open to suggestion. 

I listen mostly to rock/alternative but I have a lot of rap and electronic too, so bass is kind of important and is somewhat lacking on the Grados, A bass boost feature would be nice
Thank you for your input!
color]

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 7

Quote:

am looking for a DAC/Amp to drive my Grado Sr225i's,(pretty easy to drive). I am more interested in the sound quality of the DAC, I will be sourcing from my laptop and so i need something with a USB input. A major bonus feature for me is having a 1/4 inch jack because any adapters i have tried to use have broken easily. Three amps i was looking at were the Hi-Fi Man EF2A, the Maverick Audio TubeMagic DAC/Amp and for about twice the price, a NuForce Icon HD! I would like to know if one of the cheaper options (Hi-Fi Man or TubeMagic) would sound better than the other or if there would be enough of an improvement to warrant spending an extra 150-200 dollars. If there are any other DAC/Amps that would sound better for around the same price I am open to suggestion. 

I listen mostly to rock/alternative but I have a lot of rap and electronic too, so bass is kind of important and is somewhat lacking on the Grados, A bass boost feature would be nice
Thank you for your input!
color]

Portable? i see u have the Maverick D1 on ur list. most like it here..but it's not portable and this is the portable thread However if you not only want great amp and DAC but also portability. The E17 Alpen is for you. Any other questions?

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 7
The iBasso D7 is very good sounding DAC/AMPs(can rival entry level desktop DAC/AMPs) and amazing value for the price with portability.

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #4 of 7
what you want to be getting is the fiio e7 it's perfect for what you will be using it for it's a dac headphone amp with a bass boost..check it out on the what hifi website look under "headphone amps" it retails at £65 in england and i know you can buy it from amazon for less supposed to be really good for the price..what hifi rated it at 5 stars..and they would know a thing or two about dac headphone amps!

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
what you want to be getting is the fiio e7 it's perfect for what you will be using it for it's a dac headphone amp with a bass boost..check it out on the what hifi website look under "headphone amps" it retails at £65 in england and i know you can buy it from amazon for less supposed to be really good for the price..what hifi rated it at 5 stars..and they would know a thing or two about dac headphone amps!

this thread is weeks old. usually we let it die or something if the OP doesn't respond. but i guess it's good that you are trying. he is looking for a high quality one. the E17 is really it.

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
bowie006 thanks for the heads up on the new fiio e17 alpen looks quite good and a nice price aswell...

yes it is. i am very active on the E17 thread on head fi. if you have any questions on anything feel free to ask in the thread or pm me or something

Users who are viewing this thread

Back