Need help finding budget DAC
Oct 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

BenTandBroken

New Head-Fier
I purchased the HE-400s over the summer and an Asgard 2 last week. All I have left to do now is get a DAC. I am looking at the ODAC with the RCA outputs and also the modi, but I'm not set on either. Any suggestions for the sub $200 range?i prefer one with USB capabilities but I also use my phone as a source on occasion. My musical preferences are pretty varied: rock, electronic, rap, indie rock, pop, classical. And most of my stuff is still only 320kbps, but I am starting to build a hifi collection that should at some point become my primary collection. (It's mostly flacs right now) so any help would be appreciated.

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #2 of 14
Many people that have heard both the ODAC and Modi will say they are comparable. Others that have heard both will say one is better than the other. Seems a coin toss to me in terms of SQ based on that (I am an ODAC owner, but have not heard the Modi). I'd pick the one that you feel looks the best or otherwise fits in with your setup and not stress at all about the decision.

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 14
Actually if your REALLY want something inexpensive try this

UCA202 DAC

Read about it on the Blog of an unmentionable Guru of sorts, either way it was well reported on, and hey man $30! 

I never got a chance to compare it with my oDac but, again the price is very nice. I would start with that, [Amazon has a return policy] and worse come to worse you'll hate it return it and get an oDac. But still, did you see that price! And I think it has RCA out as well, which should work very nice with ur Asgard 2

BUT let's assume you hate it, try the oDac for the HE 400, as the oDac is a smidge warmer 

Oct 12, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 14
Alright, thanks for the input! Before I decide to buy the ODAC with the mini USB, can I use the 3.5 mm to mini USB cable so I can use it with my portable music players or is that pointless?

Oct 12, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 14
ODAC can work with some Android phones. In other words, you have to have a portable device that can stream audio via USB like a computer can (Android is Linux based).

Oct 12, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 14
Alright, thanks for the input! Before I decide to buy the ODAC with the mini USB, can I use the 3.5 mm to mini USB cable so I can use it with my portable music players or is that pointless?

It's pointless, Ur Music Player has a DAC inside of it, USB or Coaxial or SpDif are the three most popular methods used for Bit by Bit audio streaming, a dac takes those bits and turns them into analog waves

the audio play, transmits analog through the 3.5mm out put, so if you put analog into a dac... well you won't get much out of it, 

USB or universal Serial bus, is an electronic transmission for well data, bits and byes

a 3.5mm TRS jack is for analog 

and any one who knows more about this [I should know more] feel free to correct me

either way yes using a dac [Digital to audio converter]  with a Portable Media player is well useless, 

Oct 13, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #7 of 14
Okay, that's what I thought. Ill research some more, Thanks guys :) One last question, I already ordered my ODAC and I went ahead and purchased the JDS labs with RCAs but does anyone know which would be better to use? RCA to RCA or 3.5mm to RCA because I have to buy cables anyway.

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #8 of 14
Okay, that's what I thought. Ill research some more, Thanks guys
smily_headphones1.gif
One last question, I already ordered my ODAC and I went ahead and purchased the JDS labs with RCAs but does anyone know which would be better to use? RCA to RCA or 3.5mm to RCA because I have to buy cables anyway.

RCA and 3.5 will provide the same performance. 

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #9 of 14

RCA and 3.5 will provide the same performance. 

BUT I happen to like my Coaxial RCAs I don't mind paying the extra price, but ofc I buy from Mono Price so <3 

I save money and get a nice high quality cable 

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #12 of 14
Congrats! How do you like the sound of the ODAC? What headphone amp are you running with it?

Running it with the Asgard 2 and so far i'm loving it. I have only listened to it for a few hours, but i do hear a bit more detail that is noticeable. i have yet to do an A-B comparison of my computer's DAC vs The ODAC, I am glad i went for the ODAC because i can tell it gives my music more body and brings out some of the mids and bass detail that my computer would run together. I do like to add a new component to my set up then listen to it for about 50-100 hours and try to pick out details in certain tracks so my ear gets entirely adjusted to it. After that time i remove the component and listen to the tracks again to see how certain details are affected.  I need some more time with it and i need to find some more HQ music ($$$
frown.gif
) before i give my final verdict

Oct 23, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #13 of 14
  Running it with the Asgard 2 and so far i'm loving it. I have only listened to it for a few hours, but i do hear a bit more detail that is noticeable. i have yet to do an A-B comparison of my computer's DAC vs The ODAC, I am glad i went for the ODAC because i can tell it gives my music more body and brings out some of the mids and bass detail that my computer would run together. I do like to add a new component to my set up then listen to it for about 50-100 hours and try to pick out details in certain tracks so my ear gets entirely adjusted to it. After that time i remove the component and listen to the tracks again to see how certain details are affected.  I need some more time with it and i need to find some more HQ music ($$$
frown.gif
) before i give my final verdict

mmm I liked my oDac as well :3 do enjoy it! 

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #14 of 14
Running it with the Asgard 2 and so far i'm loving it. I have only listened to it for a few hours, but i do hear a bit more detail that is noticeable. i have yet to do an A-B comparison of my computer's DAC vs The ODAC, I am glad i went for the ODAC because i can tell it gives my music more body and brings out some of the mids and bass detail that my computer would run together. I do like to add a new component to my set up then listen to it for about 50-100 hours and try to pick out details in certain tracks so my ear gets entirely adjusted to it. After that time i remove the component and listen to the tracks again to see how certain details are affected.  I need some more time with it and i need to find some more HQ music ($$$:frowning2: ) before i give my final verdict

Nice. I have the Asgard 2 and ODAC. Love it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back