Need help deciding on IEM for 3rd Gen Ipod Nano
May 27, 2009 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ColdFyre

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I'm an avid proponent of doing forum research when it comes to buying most anything, so its time for me to buy some IEM's, so here I am. I believe Head-Fi is THE best source from what Ive gathered searching around.

For my wife's birthday I want to get her a nice IEM to replace the utterly worthless ear buds that came with her Ipod Nano. I've read quite a number of threads on here the past few hours. Hopefully some of you very knowledgeable and friendly folks could lend me a hand.

My wife tends to listen to mostly rock and alternative (Linkin Park, Disturbed, System of a Down, The Used, My Chemical Romance, SlipKnot, etc etc). But she also listens to pop, hip-hop, rap, r&b etc.

I've somewhat narrowed it down to some models I've seen in various threads, but im sure there may be some I should consider that I haven't included int he list below. Also I would definitely prefer to remain un-amped, just direct to the Ipod. Budget-wise im looking to stay under $130.

Some that I have considered:

Klipsch Custom2 and Image S4
Etymotic ER6 and maybe if i can find them cheaply the HF5
Shure SE210
Ultimate Ears SuperFI3 Studio
Head-Direct RE2 and RE1
Apple's IEM

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

May 27, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 9
Westone UM1s would be my choice.

You can also get ER-4Ps used for under $130.

May 27, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 9
Shure's black olive tips offer an incredible seal and are, in my opinion, extremely comfortable. Also, lately I'm really beginning to like my SE210. I've always found it's bass presentation to be lacking authority. It is, in a way, but it's overall presentation is actually pretty darn good for the price you pay for it. I'd say you can't really go wrong with the Shure SE210.

May 28, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #5 of 9
If unamped, don't go for Ety ER-6 -you want 6i (coulda been a typo!). 6 are lovely but an amp is mandatory...

May 28, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 9
I am really starting to love my Klipsch Custom 3s. The more I listen, the more I like. I have been using them directly out of the HP jack and they seem to love it with the EQ off. Also all day comfortable. If you look, you can pick em up for not much more that your budget.

May 29, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #9 of 9
OK, just pulled the trigger on the Ety HF5 in Ruby Red using that $50 off promo code on Amazon.com. $110 shipped with 2 day shipping (need them here b4 her birthday on the 4th).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back