Need help deciding between RP-21 or ATH-A700
Sep 21, 2007 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Poor Tom

New Head-Fier
After many hours trolling these boards I mostly have decided on the RP-21's as my first audiophile purchase. But for some reason I keep looking at the A700's, yet I have not been able to find any useful comments on those cans on this site or any other.

I will be using these for casual listening, gaming, and plugged into my bass guitar amp to keep the noise low in the late or early hours of the day. Any insights would REALLY REALLY be appreciated, thanks!

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 11
For the 3 intended uses you've listed, are they all quite important, or is it mostly for listening to music.

i.e.
is gaming an important factor here in the use?
(And to go further into the use for gaming:: do you need alot of kick in the bass for the gaming experience / or do you need a headphone with strong positional audio for competitive gaming)

I do not know much about plugging a headphone into a guitar amp, kind of curious if it's safe to do so.

Sep 29, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 11
Sorry, but...bump on this? I'm really having a hard time deciding between these two as well. I have the ATH-AD900s, which are INCREDIBLE, but need something for riding the bus. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Are the A700s easy to drive?

Sep 29, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #5 of 11
I had the A700s and they were superb. I drove it out of my ipod and it was excellent (although you'd have to go 3/4s of the volume to make it shine). If I had to describe the sound, to me, it's "crisp" in the sense that it's bright with good bass definition (due to its close nature). It does well with female voices which gave me goosebumps - Alicia Keys, Norah Jones. It can also satisfy a bass head although as I said, you'd have to go 3/4s of the ipod's volume. You can have it for $125 through ebay (but just be careful, some of them say "we have it in stock" but they really dont, so ask beforehand).

Why I sold it:

1. size. If portability is what you seek, then, this is not for you unless you bring a bag everyday (backpack).
2. poor isolation. yeap, it's closed, but its like having some open cans in public. I took it for a bus ride one day and let me tell ya, I had to BLAST my ipod.
3. somewhat why: the way it looks. man, you just look like you're straight outta mars with these cans.

if it wasn't for those 3, I'd still have em. too bad i dont use cans-phones at home.

Sep 30, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #8 of 11
Any other input on how well the A700s would fare in a noisy environment? Thinking of just getting both on 7 day returns and choosing from there, but it'd be nice to get a definitive answer beforehand. Sorry for the insistence.

Sep 30, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #9 of 11
So isn't it safe to plug any headphone into a guitar amp's headphone out or is it made to drive 600 omh headphones or something?

Oct 1, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #10 of 11
Alright, Poor Tom. I've ordered both headphones from two companies that offer money-back guarantees. I'll be back to you with the quality of isolation, sound quality, and gaming capacity in about a week.

Hang tight,

Michael

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #11 of 11
Alright, a few impressions around ATH-A700 and Equation RP-21.

First, aesthetics.
The RP-21s, in my opinion, are much more stylish than the A700s, with a cool bronze color, as compared to the awkward wing-top and big round cups of the A700s. I'd much rather be seen in public wearing the RP-21s.

Comfort.
The A700s definitely take the cake here. Reminiscent of almost all Audio-Technicas, these are ridiculously comfortable, with pleather pads that don't squeeze whatsoever. Definitely not as comfy as velour, but damn close.

The RP-21s, on the other hand, have quite some clamping force that can cause discomfort, especially with long usage.

Isolation.
The RP-21s isolate noticeably more than the A700s, which isn't a surprise, as the A700s don't really create a seal around your ears, they simply rest on them. The A700s will indeed prevent sound from leaking and definitely HAS isolation, but in loud situations, I'd reach for the RP-21s first to block everything out.

Sound quality.
The RP-21s, at first, were actually a disappointment. They seemed far too recessed at the high end, and created an extremely in your face presentation overall. The bass seemed to dominate the rest of the scene. However, though some burn in helped a tad, the main difference was the quick mod suggested in the Equation Audio megathread, in which you take the earpad off, and remove the thick piece of foam from the driver. After performing this mod, the sound really opened up, mainly the higher notes. The sound was able to sound less as if it originated in my brain, and sound more like a pair of open headphones. With the mids and highs opened up, the bass feels more neutral now, and the headphones as a whole feel very even.

As for the A700s, well, they're great. Straight out of the box, I recognized the familiar Audio-Technica sound. The wonderful separation of parts in a huge soundstage, the warm mids and clear highs. Simply wonderful. I have a pair of ATH-AD900s, and I have to say the A700s do a GREAT job of sounding like open headphones while still being closed. No comparison to the ADs, but extremely impressive for what they are. However, beyond the larger soundstage, more sparkling highs, and more warm, emotion-filled sound of the ADs, the A700s indeed has the punchy bass that was missed by some with the open series.

Differences
Some direct differences between the RP-21s and A700s. The RP-21s bass is definitely more prominent, yet the A700 seems more detailed. The A700 definitely has better separation and soundstage, but removing the foam of the RP-21s gave it extra separation on the high end, making it a much more formidable contender. The RP-21s are missing some of the intimacy and emotion offered by the ATHs. Overall, I liked the A700s more. Better soundstage, more warmth, and just an overall feeling of comfort, both physically and sound-wise, compared to the squeeze of the RP-21 as well as the slightly more tiring sound signature.

Gaming (Threw this one in for anyone who might be interested)
As for gaming, A700s, on this board as well as others, have quite some regard for being EXCELLENT for gaming. Great soundstage, for hearing placement of enemy's footsteps, quite sufficient isolation to eliminate distractions, enough bass for you to 'feel' the explosions, just good all-around. The RP-21s will suffice as well, but without quite the pin-point sound-placement of the A700s. I feel as if I'm cheating when I can follow where someone is through the wall, and dispose of them as soon as they appear. A700s are the definite winner here.

MY Decision
However, as of now, I believe I'll be sending back the A700s. These were meant to be headphones for the bus, and the RP-21s are far more portable than the A700s. The more stylish design is also a plus. The sound quality from the RP-21s wasn't enough of a drop to warrant squeezing the A700s into my backpack somewhere. HOWEVER, this decision was LARGELY made on the fact that I already have ATH-AD900s for home music and gaming use, so I won't miss the sound of the A700s by any real means. If I didn't have the AD900s, it'd be A700s ALL the way, despite portability, style, and any idiosyncrasies of the sort.

My Suggestion
For you, I'd easily suggest the A700 over RP-21s, as it seems you don't need the extra isolation (just leak prevention) or portability, as you'll use it at home (I believe). The A700 is definitely the more impressive of the two, and will give you a good impression of the ATH sound, which only improves with the open models. So actually, if you wouldn't mind losing a bit of bass 'punch' but gaining some bass detail, I'd say, forget both of these, and go for the AD700 or even the AD900s. There would be some sound leakage, of course, but as long as you're not in the same room as people attempting to sleep, it should be fine.

Thanks,

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back