Need help deciding between a couple of IEM's
Jul 17, 2014 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

AceOfZen

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, you'll see, i'm looking for a good pair of IEM's to use along my iPod classic and iPhone 5 on the go, and after doing quite some research, i've narrowed my possibilities to 3 pairs of IEM's, all in different price points, all with different signatures and all form the same brand.

I'm looking for an IEM that works well with my iPod, as well as with my computer and that doesn't need amping.

My tastes in music are quite wide, but the main genres i will be listening to will be Metal, Rock and orchestral.

Here's the trick, quite a bit of my music, because of the nature of the genres, is found in compressed poor quality formats, and i really wouldn't like for these to be completely destroyed by the headphones.

Also, i'm not from the States, and i can only order from companies that ship worldwide.

I'm completely open to suggestions, but the 3 headphones i have found that have caught my eyes are the Shure se215, se425 and se535.

I love Shure's design and durability, but i'm worried that these headphones won't fill my expectatives.

The Shure se215 seems like the "safe way to go", but i have never tried BA and i would love to, and settling down for these dynamic IEM's would take away from the new experience.

The true bind and where i am really stuck is between the SE425 and SE535. I've read a couple of reviews between these and i've found them to be somewhat conflicting. SOme reviews say that the se425 are laid back and forgiving, while some others say the complete opposite. Same with the SE535. The thing is, between these two, there is one that is musical, while the other one is analytical, and i really, REALLY need help knowing which one is which, (i will take the musical one).

Also, some say the SE425 deal better with fast-paced music while the SE535 deal best with acoustic and vocals, and some others say the exact same opposite. I would really appreciate your help and would really be glad if you guys could help me discover which is the musical and which is the analytical earphone. 

As always, thanks for the help and thanks for reading. 

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #2 of 16
My opinion is that the 535 is the musical one - we've had a 425 or two returned on account of the high-mid edge that they have, for some it may be perfect, but myself and a colleague agree that these are a bit harsh and edgy. The last customer went down to the 315 model and was much happier.

But what you say about lossy/compressed formats doesn't really go with the 535 - you might get a bit too much detail there.

Maybe you can try a cheap balanced armature IEM like the SoundMAGIC PL50, this might illustrate the BA sound for you but for pleasurable listening I think you need to stick to dynamic in the Shure range such as SE315 and below.

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #3 of 16
I have the Shure SE535's (they are going back to Amazon today) and they did not scale well with poorer sources. To my ears, they were cold and too revealing/analytical. 

I was only able to enjoy them (somewhat) with high resolution music. Pairing them with my phone and streaming MP3's over the internet was a bad experience.

There are quite a few inexpensive IEMs on the market now that you might try first, especially if you'd like more experience with in-ears.

My current favorites come from AudioFly. I'm using their current flagship model the AF180's, which are in the same range as the SE535's, but are much more musical and sound fine when paired with my phone or my Sansa Clip Zip. They definitely benefit when playing hi-res music from quality sources, too, and are better than the Shures in every way.

I also have AudioFly's previous flagship, the AF78's, which are a hybrid headphone. Any of their double-digit line of headphones would be a good introduction to their musical sound.

Everyone's ears are different and everyone prefers different things from their music. It's probably best to try out as much stuff as you can, without having to commit to a $500 headphone right out of the gate. 

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 16
Hello, and thanks for your replies and suggestions. Regarding the SE315, i've read some pretty unimpressive reviews, even compared to the Dynamic SE215, and according to what i've read, Single BA is a tad bit worse than Dynamic, (IS it?). According to the reviews, the best of the bunch from shure are the 215 and the 535.

Regarding the Audiofly, it seems that they do not ship to Latin America (Do they?), you'll see i'm not from the US and shipping is a pain, that's part of the reason i'm inclined towards Shure, as they do ship internationally.

By the way, i do have high quality audio, i think (Are itunes files high quality?) but i also have some poor formats, and that's what really has me in a bind.
Again, thanks and i really hope you can clear my doubts.

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 16
I doubt you will have trouble re-formatting your audio library. Lossless format music is not too expensive, especially when it seems you have no issue with a $350+ IEM such as the SE535.

If you can find a local vendor, obviously try out as many as you can.

I myself have put in some time to decide between the 425 and 535, and from what I've read the 425 is more neutral, and the 535 is more musical.

If your sole use is on an iPhone or another low-grade portable device, I suggest at least spending a little money on revamping your music library. Perhaps you could buy the 535 first, A/B lossy formats and lossless, then decide to revamp library or return 535

Jul 18, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 16
Thanks for your thoughts. I am considering on buying an amp, just not right now, as i am going to be spending quite a bit on the earphones as you can tell, and i will not be able to purchase anything in a while, so there's that.

Also, my main device will be an Ipod Classic, and i thought it was quite good as a source player, i've read a couple reviews on some players and it seems that it is even the best mass-produced player, (Is it?) I really don't know, but i believe its quality is actually quite good. 

Again, thanks for your replies and thoughts.

Jul 18, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 16
Also, in my town i can't seem to find a vendor that has actual high-quality audio gear. I'm not from the States, and i live in a rather lonely and small town and the only audio gear i can find is things from the likes of Beats and Apple, that's why i am putting all of my trust on your thoughts, experiences and knowledge.

Jul 18, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 16
ALright, after a lot of reading i've come to the conclusion that i should go with either the 215 or the 315. The usual dispute between dynamic and BA driver. In my readings i've often found that Single Dynamic are better than SIngle Balanced, is it true?

Now the question is not which one's better, but which one's better for me. I listen to jazz, blues, rock, metal, orchestral and instrumental music as a reference.

According to InnerFidelity's response chart on the earphones, it seems like the SE315 sound more like the 535, and i was wondering if they would give me a nice introduction to the world of BA

ALso, it would be of huge help to me if you guys knew if Shure counts with Total Satisfaction Guarantee should i not like the sound on either of them and be able to return and buy the other pair.

Again, thanks for your thoughts and for your help. 

Jul 18, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 16

The true bind and where i am really stuck is between the SE425 and SE535. I've read a couple of reviews between these and i've found them to be somewhat conflicting. Some reviews say that the se425 are laid back and forgiving, while some others say the complete opposite. Same with the SE535. The thing is, between these two, there is one that is musical, while the other one is analytical, and i really, REALLY need help knowing which one is which, (i will take the musical one).

Also, some say the SE425 deal better with fast-paced music while the SE535 deal best with acoustic and vocals, and some others say the exact same opposite. I would really appreciate your help and would really be glad if you guys could help me discover which is the musical and which is the analytical earphone. 

I've tried them both on many occasions on my music (mostly metal, progressive and symphonic, other related sub-genres). The most obvious difference is that the SE420/425 really make the higher frequency riffs and solos sound fantastic, along with female vocals that many bands in my collection have, like Tarja Turunen. I really wouldn't use "laid back and forgiving" on these, considering how the too flat bass response (which probably drops off earlier too) doesn't improve the recording quality of the first release of Angels Fall First (I was vindicated to my non-audiophile friends about that when the box-set came out and that album was labelled as "remastered") where the drums sound hollow.* Perhaps those who used "laid back" were comparing its reproduction of percussion to Grados, and the SE530/535 does a better job at reproducing those (a lot closer to a properly driven HD600 anyway), so it seems like the 420/425 sounds "laid back" because the drums aren't up front, while those who say otherwise were referring to the treble, particularly how aggressive guitar solos sound on those.

If I were to choose between both for my music I'd choose the SE425. It's cheaper, the treble is really nice and gets smoother with the olive tips, and the drums are there anyway, and I'd accept that as a trade off for the vocals and guitars (the percussion, particularly the bass drum, are only non-existent with the plastic tips). In the end though I ended up with a used ASG-1 because I'm cheap, but also because they were comfortable (they don't rely as much on the tips to anchor to my ears) and are easily driven by a smartphone (although the bass is a lot more precise with some amps and DAPs), although the treble rolls off too early. I have my home reference system for really appreciating the guitars anyway, so its pros outweighed the con for my needs. If however you can afford the extra $200 for the 535s easily and your music doesn't benefit from really airy treble compared to an overall better fullrange response, then get that one.

*Here's a YouTube link, and the drums sound like that even on the CD : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhX2ALfqIso 

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #10 of 16
I've owned the SE420, SE315, SE425 and SE535 Ltd Ed

Different people will have different tastes - and different preferences as far as the Shure range goes.  The only real constants are the shape (new bodies on the SExx5 range are all similar), and they all to a certain extent have most of the focus on the mid-range.

Here's my take (FWIW):

1. SE315 - virtually the only Shure I was really disappointed with.  Was supposed to have a little more bass impact - while retaining Shues normal signature.  I found that the lower treble sounded a little brittle/metallic - and they weren't really bassier - just a little boomier.
  2. SE425 - the most neutral and also the most natural of the range.  Vocals are beautiful without being overdone.  Both the sub-bass and upper treble rolls off a little early, so despite their clarity, they lack a little bit of punch, and also a little bit of sparkle.  they respond well to EQ though.  Some people thought they were boring.  I loved them - but I do like a neutral and natural sound.
  3. SE535 LE - Bass is really well defined, pretty linear, but there isn't a lot of it.  More than the 425 - but I was expecting more from a triple driver.  Mids are beautiful, silky, forward - but I found that after prolonged use the forwardness would become annoying.  I'm a big fan of female vocals and sometimes they would get a little peaky.  Treble I actually quite enjoyed.  I think the regular SE535 have been criticised for early treble roll off though. Focus is definitely mid-range.  probably the more coloured mid-range of the three.

If I was buying again for me, hands down I would go SE425 (I've often thought about repurchasing).  But it suits my preference for neutrality and natural vocals.

But here's a couple of options for you (away from the Shures).

If you like clarity but warmth (bigger than neutral bass) - have a look at the Brainwavz S5.
If you want a triple hybrid driver - really clear, slightly bright, gorgeous bass - take a look at the Altone200.

Both are relative newcomers - but both are incredible value.  There are active threads on both + I've reviewed both recently.

Hope this helps.

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #11 of 16
@Brooko
Thanks for the recommendations, but do they ship outside of the States? To latin america? You'll see i'm not from the US and shipping is an issue, if you could provide me with that info i would be really grateful.

So in your thoughts the best of the bunch are the 425's? Do you think i will enjoy even my Low-quality audio? I do not mind them to be a little revealing, i just don't want them to rip the song apart to the point it's no longer enjoyable. Also, are they easy to listen to? I'd not really like a tiring sound.

I'm really looking for a different Sound from the typical dynamic drivers, just to try something different.

Also, do you know if Shure counts with Total Satisfaction Guarantee should i not like the pair and be able to change them?

Thanks again.

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #12 of 16
  @Brooko
Thanks for the recommendations, but do they ship outside of the States? To latin america? You'll see i'm not from the US and shipping is an issue, if you could provide me with that info i would be really grateful.

You can get them from Amazon but the problem there is how much the shipping and tariffs (bribes) would cost. Check the laws in your country and see if there are any loopholes, or worse, if it's generally known that customs agents are a bit sketchy. If they are, there might be other people there who can help you legally*

*Like some couriers might not be under scrutiny - over here those who ship huge boxes aren't inspected as they are assumed to be from overseas contract workers and they don't want to hassle dollar earners that keep our currency afloat; some people here coordinate that for those who have no friends or relatives in countries where they have this service. However if it's a single FedEx package, might as well have prepared money to buy two of whatever item it is - many of us learned that the hard way. There was also this nationalist economic control policy that keeps FedEx and UPS from operating like they do in the US, and only documents go through without Customs inspecting them.

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #14 of 16
  @ProtegeManiac
I've actually searched for them, but Amazon does not ship to my country. I would rather buy things form the official page than from Amazon and Ebay.

I'm not sure if Shure sells directly from their site, as they have to protect their dealer/distribution network. Here's a list of official online dealers: http://www.shure.com/americas/where-to-buy/online-retailers Note that the warranties usually only apply if you get them from official dealers; otherwise, your warranty will be with/through that retailer.

I checked the local retailers and some of them have websites; maybe you could shoot them an email in case the local outlet you checked out didn't have them in stock? Check Apple stores too if you have those near you - over here some of those concept stores (the licensed ones not run by Apple themselves) sell Shure, Ultimate Ears, Sennheiser, even Brainwavz.

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #15 of 16
  @Brooko

So in your thoughts the best of the bunch are the 425's? Do you think i will enjoy even my Low-quality audio? I do not mind them to be a little revealing, i just don't want them to rip the song apart to the point it's no longer enjoyable. Also, are they easy to listen to? I'd not really like a tiring sound.

I'm really looking for a different Sound from the typical dynamic drivers, just to try something different.

Also, do you know if Shure counts with Total Satisfaction Guarantee should i not like the pair and be able to change them?

Thanks again.

No probs.

1 - For Brainwavz - try MP4Nation.  Make an inquiry with them online.  They'll soon tell you if they can ship to you (wherever you are - "Latin America" encompasses a whole lot of area, and you weren't specific).  Website is  www.mp4nation.net

2 - For the Altone200 - contact their rep direct on Head-Fi - http://www.head-fi.org/u/345448/mobyn
Thread with more info : http://www.head-fi.org/t/726736/t-peos-announce-closing-preorder-of-altone200-and-start-official-sale

3 - Again, hard to tell you what YOU would like.  I've explained how the differences are to my ears with the Shures.  If you like a very neutral sound, the SE425 may be the way to go.  If you like something more dynamic with more forward presentation in the vocals - then probably the 535.

4 - Shure & Total Satisfaction Guarantee - you're asking the wrong people 
wink.gif
.  make the inquiry to the Shure rep in your area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back