Need Help Connecting Speakers to Computer
Sep 17, 2013 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

brian1115

New Head-Fier
Hi guys I am a noob to audio stuff.  I have these two Kenwood speakers in my basement that have not had much use.  I am planning on building a new computer and was going to get new speakers, but since I have these I might as well put them to use and save some cash.  The model #s of the speakers are in the pictures below.

Questions:

1.  What cables/connectors do I need to hook them up to my PC?
2.  What would be the possible resale value of these if I decide to buy new ones?
3.  I believe there is a sub that goes with them but I don't have it.  Am I correct?
4.  Do I need a sub to hook them up? and then to my pc?

Sep 17, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 17
These look like tower speakers. I don't think there is a matching sub to go with them.

I'd suggest a Topping TP21 or Indeed TA2021 t-amp to drive them. Or pick up a used audio/video or stereo receiver on your local Craigslist. Often good values to be had.

Sep 17, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 17
Monoprice.com 16 gauge speaker wire would work great.

As for the connectors to your computer and the amp, depends on what can kind of connection options your computer has for audio and what kind of amp/receiver you get :)

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #5 of 17
I would go with this amp, it puts a little more power for those things: http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-APA150-150-Watts-Amplifier/dp/B000VKXLBO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1379468370&sr=8-3&keywords=dayton+amp

Then, you need wire to complete this signal path:

Computer -> Amp (via 3.5mm/RCA cable plugged into the input on the amp) -> Speakers (via speaker wire)

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 17
For the money, I'd go with the Sherbourn PA 2-50 instead that is on closeout. Apparently same amplifier as the Emotiva mini-x a-100, with some extra features (remote, two sets of switchable inputs--same parent company sourcing the amp from the same factory). Should be a little bit better grade of amp.

Either way, I'm guessing your computer has a 3.5mm left/right audio output? So just need a 3.5mm to RCA cable.

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 17
But by having my speakers ampd more doesnt that just increase volume? sorry noob question.

Right.

That Sherbourn will be a better quality amp than the N22. Go read reviews of the Emotiva mini-x a-100. Same amplifier inside. In fact, the parent company of both Emotiva and Sherbourn has apparently decided to eliminate the Sherbourn brand name and just release equipment under the Emotiva name, which is why the Sherbourn is being sold at such a good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back