Need Help | Comfortable Open-Back Headphones | Warm Sound | Budget $700-1000
Dec 17, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #16 of 56

Cool.. Thank you.. One less HP to look into.. Looks like companies typically lean towards a more neutral/flat sound when it comes to their top tier headphones..

Yeah, that's an interesting discussion in its own right.  AKG's flagship is geared mostly toward neutrality, HiFiMan went for it with the HE-6 although not so much with the HE1000, Sennheiser and Stax seem to aim for utmost neutrality, MrSpeakers Ether seems to go for neutrality unlike every other MrSpeakers headphone, and now Audeze seems to have gone that route too with the LCD-4 (to some extent at least).

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #17 of 56
  HE-560 is on the bright side of neutral so I would not pick that one. 

Definitely depends on your system.

If we're talking about Sennheiser/AKG/Beyerdynamic offerings, then HIFIMAN makes signifcantly darker/warmer headphones.

I don't know what you used with the HE-560.

But for entry level sources, the OP will find the HE-560 to offer smooth treble, ample bass quality/impact, and generally a warmer tonality.

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #18 of 56

Cool.. Thank you.. One less HP to look into.. Looks like companies typically lean towards a more neutral/flat sound when it comes to their top tier headphones..

I would not discount the HE-560.

It's easily a headphone that can be considered top-tier with the right setups.

Some even prefer the modded HE-560 (grill mod) over the flagship HE-6 or the HE-1000. Now that's saying something.

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #19 of 56

If we're talking about Sennheiser/AKG/Beyerdynamic offerings, then HIFIMAN makes signifcantly darker/warmer headphones.

But for entry level sources, the OP will find the HE-560 to offer smooth treble, ample bass quality/impact, and generally a warmer tonality.

Some even prefer the modded HE-560 (grill mod) over the flagship HE-6 or the HE-1000. Now that's saying something.

Hmmm... Thanks for this.. I will look into the 560s.. I really wish I could try out headphones somehow.. Looks like I can't make it to the CANJAM SOCAL 2016 either. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #20 of 56

Hmmm... Thanks for this.. I will look into the 560s.. I really wish I could try out headphones somehow.. Looks like I can't make it to the CANJAM SOCAL 2016 either. 

You can always message me in detail describing the kind of sound you're looking for.
I'll be happy to give you advice regarding setups and the best cost-to-performance deals out there.

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #21 of 56

Agreed, my HE-500 is dark as hell compared to my Sony's, AKG's and Fostex Headphones and I don't recall the tone of the HE-560 to be all that much brighter if any..

I haven't seen those preferences personally but the HE-560 is definetly a  force to reckon with.

Seeing as you seem to like Shure and Sennheiser you should put the HD-600's and SRH1540's at the top of your list thus far

Dec 18, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #22 of 56

You can always message me in detail describing the kind of sound you're looking for.
I'll be happy to give you advice regarding setups and the best cost-to-performance deals out there.

Thank you.. I will send you a PM shortly..

Quote:
  Seeing as you seem to like Shure and Sennheiser you should put the HD-600's and SRH1540's at the top of your list thus far

I buy Sennheisers and Shures because, based on my experience, their products seem reliable, well built and they have good customer support. Now that I have spent some sufficient time on Head-Fi, I have come to learn that there are other products out there that I need to give a shot. But yes, I do have the Sennheisers HD6X0s and Shures on my list still. 

How do you know if OP will find HE-560's treble smooth? You don't, so telling him that is just misleading Maybe he will, maybe he won't. Look, I'm not saying HE-560 is a bad headphone but the OP requested for a warm headphone so I don't think HE-560 with it's treble peaks will suit him at all.  

And Youth may be right about the treble peaks. I am sensitive to sibilance.

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #24 of 56
Have any headphones in your price range caught your eye that haven't been mentioned? Maybe someone can lend an opinion to you

Dec 20, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #25 of 56
The OP has messaged me, and I'll be corresponding with him!

Anyone else with helpful recommendation, feel free to chime in 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #26 of 56
HD 600 isn't available everywhere. Like in India HD 600 isn't available.

If I were in your shoes I'd go with HD 600/650 with O2/ODAC.

Thank you. I am currently in the US. I probably will be returning to India for good in less than a year. So I guess I have enough time to research and buy something I like before I return. 

Quote:
  Have any headphones in your price range caught your eye that haven't been mentioned? Maybe someone can lend an opinion to you

Not really. Currently looking into Senn HD650, AKG K712 and Nighthawk. There is going to be a meet up in Austin in January. May be I will be able to decide on one when I try some headphones there. If I cant make it or I don't find any thing that suits me in the meet, then I would have to start reaching out to people here to see if they could lend their cans.

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #27 of 56

Not really. Currently looking into Senn HD650, AKG K712 and Nighthawk. There is going to be a meet up in Austin in January. May be I will be able to decide on one when I try some headphones there. If I cant make it or I don't find any thing that suits me in the meet, then I would have to start reaching out to people here to see if they could lend their cans.

Used HD650's and K712's are fairly common and usually cheap. You could almost get both used for the price of the nighthawk.

Dec 21, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #28 of 56
Used HD650's and K712's are fairly common and usually cheap. You could almost get both used for the price of the nighthawk.

The price of 712 is not bad on Amazon. Even the HD650 is being sold for a reasonable price on Amazon. They have this $500 bundle for HD650 which includes a $200 Amazon gift card. Basically you pay just $300 for the headphone.

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #29 of 56
The price of 712 is not bad on Amazon. Even the HD650 is being sold for a reasonable price on Amazon. They have this $500 bundle for HD650 which includes a $200 Amazon gift card. Basically you pay just $300 for the headphone.

Fair enough but I saw a pair of HD650's going for $170 here in the past 3 weeks....

Dec 22, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #30 of 56
I'm sorry, but using reviews and other people's comments on forums is not a very reliable way of picking a hifi purchase that will work for you.

Take the Sennheiser HD700 for instance - try reading about it online.
A lot of people absolutely hate this particular headphone, calling it overly bright.
Other people love it and hear no brightness at all, while yet others hear the brightness but think it's just a plus for them as it makes the headphone sound better in their opinion.

Sure enough, if you look at it's frequency curve at Headroom for instance, you'll see that the HD700 has a treble peak at 6500kHz and another shortly after 11000kHz:

But here's the thing: No headphone is perfect.
And look at the other headphones in the graph above - the HD700 is certainly not the only headphone with "problems" (or whatever we should call it.)
Yet many people love it anyway.
Remember that opinions are subjective and relate to: 1) The equipment people are using with a headphone in question, and 2) Their experience with headphones etc. in general.
So just because one person in a forum thinks a headphone sounds bright doesn't mean you'd think the same if you listened to it yourself in the very same system the other person is using. Or in your own system.
And some people on forums just replicate what they've heard or read, without even having listened to the gear in question themselves!

If you want an advice, I'll recommend that you go listen to gear in shops, on meetings etc.
That way you'll get a much better picture of what will work for you and what won't.
You can also order stuff from shops, but then make sure you pick shops that give you the right to return the item within a certain time frame.
Then you can try it at home which is the absolutely best way of making a choice.

Good luck with you purchase :)

Best,
Henrik

Users who are viewing this thread

Back