Need help choosing
Mar 21, 2012 at 4:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sagiweis

New Head-Fier
Hello,
Im looking for a set of portable headphones for bus rides and etc., that im also gonna use in my pc. i narrow the list down to 3 models: AKG K81dj, AKG K450, Audio Technica ATH ES55. I need your help choosing between these 3 (of course if you have a better suggestion, im open to it - around 70$ ). Some reviews ive seen said that the k450 are very small and i wondered if it makes them uncomfortable or bad (especially in comparison to the K81DJ).
last thing: I saw on ebay the akg k450 in 50$, sounds like fake or original?

Thank you.

Mar 21, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 16
I have the k81's and really like them. I have done the blu-tak mode to tame the bass and in my case I have not found them to clamp too hard (and I have a big head). I can't comment on the others listed but do find the AKG to be reasonably detailed especially for the use you are going for. They are also driven easily by most player outputs but can be better with an amp. I have not heard them but if you can stretch your budget a bit you may be able to find a used pair of Senn HD25....supposedly very detailed for a small closed set of cans. Good luck with your adventure....

Mar 21, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 16

Quote:
I have the k81's and really like them. I have done the blu-tak mode to tame the bass and in my case I have not found them to clamp too hard (and I have a big head). I can't comment on the others listed but do find the AKG to be reasonably detailed especially for the use you are going for. They are also driven easily by most player outputs but can be better with an amp. I have not heard them but if you can stretch your budget a bit you may be able to find a used pair of Senn HD25....supposedly very detailed for a small closed set of cans. Good luck with your adventure....

10x, its a very looooong adventure XD
question: what is blu-tak?
The problem with the k81 and the Audio-Technica is that im probably going to put the headphones in my army bag with lots of cloths and other stuffs, and im afraid they will break or damaged because they dont have a hard case like the K450. what do you think?
but specs wise, which headphones produces a better sound?

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 16
I have not heard that particular AT can but my experince with AT is they are mid forward and bass shy. As for the blu-tak mod it is the stuff used to hang posters in school....a tacky putty that you line the inside of the cups of the AKG and deadens the bass some. It really helps to bring the lower mids forward....search the forums for blutak mod and you will find pics and instructions of how to do this

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 16
Look at the JVC HAS650($40). It is compact, closed, and very sensitive. it has a warm sound signature.

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #6 of 16
tjohnusa - as i said my main concern about the k81's is that they will break while folded inside my bag. you think its possible?
There is someone here who own the K450 and can tell my if their size is too small or uncomfortable? plus if its possible to buy them as i said from ebay in 50$ or its might be a fake?

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #7 of 16
There's also the Audio-Technica ATH-WS55, I've found them to be even better than the K81/518DJ when it comes to impactful bass for a portable closed headphone, and they have better clarity too as the K81 is too dark.

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
There's also the Audio-Technica ATH-WS55, I've found them to be even better than the K81/518DJ when it comes to impactful bass for a portable closed headphone, and they have better clarity too as the K81 is too dark.

problem is that they are not portable enough (not foldable), and cost a little bit too much. other suggestions?

Mar 22, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #9 of 16
Sony V6. Not so compact, however it does fold. It is back down to $80. Not that cheap, but not that expensive. Well worth the price. Mine is 24 years old and still works fine. I just needed to replace the earpads.

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
Sony V6. Not so compact, however it does fold. It is back down to $80. Not that cheap, but not that expensive. Well worth the price. Mine is 24 years old and still works fine. I just needed to replace the earpads.

The sony v6 are too big for me... Do you think those are genuine? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-AKG-K450-Headphones-k-450-Stereo-HiFi-DJ-Earphone-for-MP3-MP4-ipod-us-/170799588979?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item27c472e673#ht_3041wt_1110

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #11 of 16
The K450 is $88 on Amazon. It seems highly unlikely that you can get a new one that is real with free shipping from China for under $50. What don't you like about the JVC HAS650?
Perhaps you should be looking for an IEM rather than a headphone? Compact headphones don't isolate well unless they have plenty of clamping force like the Sennheiser HD25-1mk2.
I guess you will probably say the JVC HA-M750 is too large?

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
The K450 is $88 on Amazon. It seems highly unlikely that you can get a new one that is real with free shipping from China for under $50. What don't you like about the JVC HAS650?
Perhaps you should be looking for an IEM rather than a headphone? Compact headphones don't isolate well unless they have plenty of clamping force like the Sennheiser HD25-1mk2.
I guess you will probably say the JVC HA-M750 is too large?

well, yes, they are too big. im looking for something in the size of the k81 (on ear), not iem's. (Amazon doesnt shipps the k450 to my county)

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #13 of 16
The problem with compact headphones is that they don't isolate well unless they have great clamping force, which will probably give you headaches if you use it for a long time. It is also very hard to get strong impactful bass from a compact headphone. If you must get a compact headphone under $70, how about the Sennheiser PX200II?

I don't know how large the K81 is. The JVC HAS650 is quite small though. The JVC HAS160 is even smaller and cheaper, however its isolation  is even less, and it has less bass. It is pleasant to listen to though.

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #14 of 16
isolation is not so important for me, i just need them to be on-ear, foldable (prefer with hard case so they will not break in my bag, but i saw that only the k450 has a hard case), with a decent sound. I guess that the Sennheiser PX200II + hard case that fits, is a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back