need help choosing portable amp
Jul 27, 2009 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

T.F.O.A

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,i'm thinking of buying a portable amp/DAC,and i already have some in minds,which one do you guys think is better?
RSA predator,ibasso d10 / d1,pico amp,or airhead/bithead from headroom
it's gonna be sticking in my desk with my macbook pro,not planning to take it out anywhere,but since i live in an apartment,i can't buy something too big. thanks

Jul 27, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 16
D10 is a good option w/ a Macbook because you can run optical out of your Macbook directly to the D10.

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 16
It's really difficult to find information on the Pico as their website just links back to threads here. Why don't they have pictures of the back of the units?

Also, the iBasso comes from China and I emailed them a question and never got a reply so I'm a bit leary...

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 16
iBasso service is very good, IMHO. A month ago I asked about a cable and they emailed me in about a day or so. I ordered a D10 on a Monday night and it arrived at my door in California on Sat. Not bad from Asia.

Their website is sometimes down but that's more their ISP than the company itself. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iBasso service is very good, IMHO. A month ago I asked about a cable and they emailed me in about a day or so. I ordered a D10 on a Monday night and it arrived at my door in California on Sat. Not bad from Asia.

Their website is sometimes down but that's more their ISP than the company itself. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.

Thanks for that input. I'm still a bit scared about placing an order since I did not hear anything back to my email.

Jul 27, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #9 of 16
I see thanks guys,but i'm also considering about sound quality,how does d10 compare with ibasso d1,pico or predator?just curious because i'm planning to buy another portable amp without dac..

Jul 27, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #10 of 16
Check the comparison thread on the portable DACs. Most of your questions can be answered there.

Pico and Predator are little more expensive but the D10 can get close to the sound w/ the right op amp rolling.

Jul 27, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #11 of 16
I really love my pico, I haven't heard the other amps, but I think it sounds really good with my D2000's, and it sounded great with my ex ESW9's.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by phototristan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for that input. I'm still a bit scared about placing an order since I did not hear anything back to my email.

Update- iBasso did email me back. Maybe they were closed on Monday or something.

Jul 28, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Update- iBasso did email me back. Maybe they were closed on Monday or something.

ibasso's website is just a little screwy. i wouldn't hold it against them. i ordered my d10 last thursday and it got here today (or it would have if i'd been there to sign for the package...grrrr). now i'm just pissed i gotta wait another day.

i want my d10!

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Not sure. But I was gonna say, they message me right back every time.

Jul 28, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doodle07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ibasso's website is just a little screwy. i wouldn't hold it against them. i ordered my d10 last thursday and it got here today (or it would have if i'd been there to sign for the package...grrrr). now i'm just pissed i gotta wait another day.

i want my d10!

Yeah, I wish they used FedEX or UPS. Both of those in my area allow me to go pick up the package on the evening after a delivery attempt. DHL, no. They have to hold it and you can pick it up the next day during business hours only. At least that's how it is in my area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back