Need help choosing headphones (Pioneer vs Sennheiser)
Aug 15, 2008 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Nielo TM

100+ Head-Fier
I’m in the market for a new headphone, and I found two excellent candidates but need your help finalizing it. The headphone will mainly be used for movies, so distortion free bass is a must
o2smile.gif

SE-A1000 Pioneer Headphones - Audio - Video

Sennheiser USA - HD555 - Product Details

I currently use Sony MDR-CD380, but I would prefer something better. I did however purchased Sennheiser HD485 last year and it completely failed to produce deep bass without any distortion/crackling. At the near the end of the Matrix: Reloaded where the Mjolnir (Hammer) come in search of the Nebuchadnezzar, the bass level was so high the HD515/485 crackled like there was no tomorrow. The sound was completely broken up. I suppose that's because of its 30mm drives.

Lucky enough, I was able to get full refund, but I may not be so lucky this time around. So I have to know if those headphones can handle deep bass without any distortion, crackling and breakup.

Thanks

Aug 16, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 25
Never heard of those SE-A1000... They sure do look interesting. Kinda like the AKG K501's...

Not sure if anyone on head-fi has ever tried a pair?

Aug 16, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 25
that's way over by budget, and it's closed back

I can spend upto £60, but can't go any further. And it seems the Pionner HDP has to be specially orderd, so it might be impossible to return.

So looks like it's the HD555 for me, but I need confirmation of its bass quality.

Aug 16, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 25
Ya...i tried HD555 & HD595 ....

the HD555 are quite close to HD595 but HD595 have very upfront sound

Aug 20, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #7 of 25
Got the HD595 today, and the sond quality is amazing tbs
atsmile.gif

But at high bass levels (like on the scene I've described in my first post), the sound cracks/pops. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here, but the old CD380 didn't have this problem.

Aug 20, 2008 at 10:18 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nielo TM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got the HD595 today, and the sond quality is amazing tbs
atsmile.gif

But at high bass levels (like on the scene I've described in my first post), the sound cracks/pops. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here, but the old CD380 didn't have this problem.

Running them in can fix a mutitude of sins, see how they are doing in a week or two.

Simon

Aug 20, 2008 at 10:27 AM Post #12 of 25
Looks like I found the solution. It would seem these HDPs cant handle very low frequency. Maybe they haven't had time to burn-in, or they are simply incapable

but I found dropping the 31Hz by half on the X-Fi equalizer helps

These HDPs do sound more natural than my old CD380. But I do miss its low frequency capability. Unfortunately, that's all it was good at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back