Need help choosing HD485 or HD555
Mar 22, 2008 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

sackynut

100+ Head-Fier
Im looking for a good new pair of phones for home entertainment, and mainly listening to music as I go to sleep.

I currently use my PX100's, but I want to limit those to portability, and I want something a little more study.

I currently am deciding between the Sennheiser HD485's and the HD555's.

Price is an issue. If it wasnt I probably would have already bought the HD555's. I have enough to buy them, but if the HD485 lives up to what I want, there is no need.

Music I listen to: Electronica, Acid Jazz, some Experimental rock (think The Mars Volta [if you know who they are]). Most has some good, solid deep/powerful bass.

What my biggest concerns are besides price
: Sound quality (a biggie, I definitely want high fidelity cans). Bass (I am a bass head, and will sacrifice a small amount of quality for more bass impact. Bass soothes me, and therefore helps me go to sleep faster. I dont want subwoofers in my ear, but good solid bass is a huge plus. Along the lines of the frequency responde of the PX100's) Comfort (I am going to be using these to go to sleep, so they basically have to feel as though they dont exist, or at least damn close).

Ive heard that the 555's basically feel like feathers, and I have heard mixed opinions on the 485's. Some say they cant feel it at all, others say there is a light pressure.

Any thoughts? All help/comments are appreciated, thanks.

Note: I will be buying them (which ever I choose) off of newegg.com. The 485's are priced at $58. The 555's are priced at $90

Mar 22, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #2 of 25
I prefer the HD485 to the 555 any day, even if the price were the same. The HD555 look better and are more comfortable by a bit, but don't sound quite as good to my ear.

Mar 22, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #3 of 25
How do you like the comfort of the 485's? Do they ever make your ears/head uncomfortable?

Mar 22, 2008 at 7:20 AM Post #4 of 25
I haven't herd the 555, but I do own the HD485, at first they felt a bit tight but not overally clamping. I usually wear them for hours at a time with no problem.

Music wise I use these for electronica, & industrial (like VNV Nation) and they are about perfect for this genre. They have a very good bass response with out sounding boomy. There is a bit of a trade off for that bass, as the highs are a bit veiled, there not overally dark, but there on the warmer side of neutral.

Mar 22, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by sackynut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you like the comfort of the 485's? Do they ever make your ears/head uncomfortable?

never owned a pair, just heard other people's. They seemed comfortable for the short periods I used them, but I don't know whether anything about them gets annoying for long use.

Mar 22, 2008 at 10:22 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the HD485 to the 555 any day, even if the price were the same. The HD555 look better and are more comfortable by a bit, but don't sound quite as good to my ear.

Completely agreed, the HD555 sounds awfully thin and plasticish. Never understood why the HD555 is so common among american headfiers. One of the most despised piece of consumer gear in the german hifi forum.

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #10 of 25
I have one too and I agree. But if you help them using EQ, bass impact will get much much better !
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #12 of 25
For bass: HD485 over HD555 any day!

Mar 22, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #14 of 25
In all honesty, the 555's are not bass-heavy cans, but the bass is there. It is tight and controlled, and benefits greatly from a nice amp.

And as for burn-in, I recall about 2 years ago I opened up the box brand new, and immediately wanted to send them away. After 50 hours, they were listenable, and after 1-150 they remained at a nice steady status which I grew to love.

And they are among the most comfortable cans I ever tried. I would give em a try.

Mar 22, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #15 of 25
I'd go with the HD485's......not bad for $80 imho.......try em w/Hotel California[listening to Life In The Fast Lane as I type this btw]in DVD-A[24/192 Stereo track] the bass will amaze you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back