Need Help Choosing AMP and DAC
Jul 12, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #16 of 24

Quote:
My source will be my PC, I've got a SPDIF port with onboard sound. I'd rather buy the best things to start with so that I don't have to upgrade any time soon.

Gotcha. For DACs the Ayre QB-9 is still a good choice, and those run around $2,000 on Audiogon. There's also the W4S DAC-2, the Wavelength Brick, the Calyx DAC, the M2Tech Young, and there are others available or coming. I'm amazed that a lot of mainstream hi-end companies still think they can get away with 16/48 limited, terrible sounding PCM270x USB implementations. IMO if you're not going to take USB seriously, don't have it at all. 

If you would rather be able to use any DAC you want new or used, I think probably the best choice right now is the latest JKenny USB converter (now on V3), but there are plenty of others (Audiophilleo, Diverter 192, Empirical Off-ramp 4, etc).

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #17 of 24
I will recommend to try both soundcard like Essence ST(RCA OUT) and external DAC like Anedio D1 (SPDIF) with AMPs.

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #19 of 24
If you're looking to spend that much, and are interested in the HD650, opt for the LCD-2s instead. The difference between those cans, vs. the differences in the DACs/AMPs in the remaining price range, are non comparable.

As someone mentioned, the speakers and the cans are the key to the setup.

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #20 of 24

Quote:
I'd like a pair of HD-800's but they seem too pricey.

You should put most of your money for audio to get the best transducers you can afford. The're the fundament of your audio system and they're determinant for it's sound. Even 100k DAC+AMP setup will be restricted by mediocre phones/speakers

Jul 19, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #21 of 24
I've decided to get a pair of Audeze LCD2 headphones thanks to everyone's helpful advice. I'll also get a pre-amp and worry about a DAC later.

I still need some help deciding on a pre-amp. I'm after a pre-amp for under $5000 without being overly priced.

Also when you guys suggest things to noobs like me it might help if you say what it is. Most of this exipment I've never heard of before and without a brand name I might be looking at the wrong equipment. Just trying to figure out what's "O2mk2" was bit of a pain and if I knew they we're headphones I wouldn't have worried about searching. I'm not trying to have a go at anyone it just helps keep things productive if you know exactly what someone is talking about. BTW thank you everyone for the help so far, it is very much appreicated.

Jul 20, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #22 of 24

Quote:
I've decided to get a pair of Audeze LCD2 headphones thanks to everyone's helpful advice. I'll also get a pre-amp and worry about a DAC later.

I still need some help deciding on a pre-amp. I'm after a pre-amp for under $5000 without being overly priced.

Will you be using any analog sources like a turntable that would require a traditional analog preamp? If not, you may want to consider skipping one entirely, and use a DAC with volume control like the PS Perfect Wave.

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #23 of 24

Quote:
Will you be using any analog sources like a turntable that would require a traditional analog preamp? If not, you may want to consider skipping one entirely, and use a DAC with volume control like the PS Perfect Wave.

No I won't be but I do want a pre-amp because I will need one with my future setup so if I buy a good one now there's no need to upgrade later. Will the PS Perfect Wave sound better then having a pre-amp?

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #24 of 24

Quote:
No I won't be but I do want a pre-amp because I will need one with my future setup so if I buy a good one now there's no need to upgrade later. Will the PS Perfect Wave sound better then having a pre-amp?

I think most mid-level DACs with volume controls are comparable in performance to a mid-level preamp, roughly around the $1500-3000 range. There are a few different implementations used in different designs, and as with any other component, some work better and more transparently than others. PS says that the "best preamp is no preamp", and while that's true to an extent, the Perfect Wave's volume control will not beat something like an Ayre KX-R or Simaudio Moon 850P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back