Need Help Choosing AMP and DAC
Jun 6, 2011 at 8:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Buttsack

Head-Fier
I'm looking at upgrading my receiver and getting a AMP and DAC (as separate units). I currently have a Sony STR-DE495 5.1 Channels Receiver with the 5 sony speakers and sub that came with it.

I don't want the amp to be able to run a good set of headphones without needing a separate amp just for headphones. I'd rather spend a bit more money and get an amp that can do both speakers and headphones. What should I be looking for when matching up a AMP with a DAC? Will $5000 get me a good AMP and DAC that I will use in 10 years time? I'd rather spend $5000 now and buy the system once, rather than to keep upgrading and losing money.

EDIT:
I've decided to get a pair of Audeze LCD2 headphones thanks to everyone's helpful advice. I've changed my mind on getting a amp that runs both speakers and headphones. A good pre-amp for headphones will do for now and I'll get a good amp later to go with the speakers I choose.

I still need some help deciding on a pre-amp. I'm after a pre-amp to match the Audeze LCD2 headphones for under $5000 without being overly priced.

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #2 of 24
  • what headphones do you have?
  • do you want a preamp with a headphone out, or an integrated amp with a heaphone amp?
  • do you also want to upgrade your speaker system?

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 24
1. I don't have a good set of headphones yet. I was looking at a set of Sennheiser HD-650 but they seem to be hard to find the right combination amp. I'd rather base the headphones I get around the best amp and dac.

2.  I would rather get a good amp and not worry about a pre amp. Is it possible to just have a really good amp that can do both headphones and speakers?

3. Yeah I want to replace everything with better gear that will last me another 10 years. What sort of money am I looking at for a really good DAC and AMP?

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 24
That sort of money will get you a great amplifier and DAC. Two options I can think of are the Leben CS-300 and Eddie Current ZDT, but the latter will need very efficient speakers. That leaves you about 1.5K for a DAC I think, and there are many great options out there.

But keep in mind that the most important items on the chain are the headphone and the speakers, and because of that, people usually chose a specific headphone/speaker that they like and then get an amp and source that complements them, since it's all about synergy. If you do get the amplifier and DAC first, you might end up with a headphone you really like but doesn't go along very well with your amp, for instance. It's much more reasonable to start with that has the biggest input.

That's also applicable to what you said about the Sennheisers. I don't think it's really reasonable to invest 5K on amp and source and then 500 on headphones. Again, they're the ones that will give you the biggest improvement.

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #5 of 24

Quote:
1. I don't have a good set of headphones yet. I was looking at a set of Sennheiser HD-650 but they seem to be hard to find the right combination amp. I'd rather base the headphones I get around the best amp and dac.

2.  I would rather get a good amp and not worry about a pre amp. Is it possible to just have a really good amp that can do both headphones and speakers?

3. Yeah I want to replace everything with better gear that will last me another 10 years. What sort of money am I looking at for a really good DAC and AMP?

• as mentioned above the last element of the chain (either speakers or headphones) is the most important. your choice must be made with these in mind 
  • as mentioned (again
    biggrin.gif
    ) the lebens are very good with speakers and heaphones. 

3.  for the dac I know a very good one (if you like the "analog" type of sound) : the ack dack 2.0.
        with some options I think that it run around 800/900$

Jun 10, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 24
hoho!

Jun 11, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 24
One route you may not have considered is using a speaker amp and transformer to drive a pair of electrostatic headphones and speakers. Something like a nice Simaudio or Primare integrated into a Woo WEE, which could drive a Stax SR-507 and whatever speakers you wish with the flick of a switch.

Jun 11, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #8 of 24
HE-6 and a couple hundred dollar vintage receiver would leave $3500 for a PWD/bridge with money left for cables/music.

Jun 12, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #9 of 24
Damn And i run my HD650's from a E7 Dac to a Graham Slee Solo, You should really be looking at HD800's for that type of level of Amp and Dac, My boyfriends using HD800's with Beyerdynamic A1 Amp and they sound amazing, Do you really need a $3500 Amp for HD650's ? 

Nat.

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #11 of 24
Thanks for the help so far everyone. I was all set on getting new speakers and amp but I don't have enough room atm to fit a good set of speakers. I think for now I'll just get a good set of headphones, a good pre-amp and maybe a DAC.

I'd like a pair of HD-800's but they seem too pricey. Are they worth the extra money compared with the HD-650's or any other set of headphones? I listen to a wide variety of music so I'd want the 1 set of headphones for everything.

If I do get a pair of HD-800's would the Lehmann BCL, Zana Deux or Corda Symphony be the best combo?

Would a DAC make much difference in this setup? Is it worth spending $2000 or so on a good DAC? I don't want to upgrade any time soon.

Jul 10, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #12 of 24

Quote:
Thanks for the help so far everyone. I was all set on getting new speakers and amp but I don't have enough room atm to fit a good set of speakers. I think for now I'll just get a good set of headphones, a good pre-amp and maybe a DAC.

I'd like a pair of HD-800's but they seem too pricey. Are they worth the extra money compared with the HD-650's or any other set of headphones? I listen to a wide variety of music so I'd want the 1 set of headphones for everything.

If I do get a pair of HD-800's would the Lehmann BCL, Zana Deux or Corda Symphony be the best combo?

Would a DAC make much difference in this setup? Is it worth spending $2000 or so on a good DAC? I don't want to upgrade any time soon.

I would still suggest electrostats over the HD-800 - like the SRM-323S paired with the SR-507. If you don't want to go that route, you should really listen to the Audeze LCD-2 and the Hifiman HE-500 before going with the HD800. As for DACs, you may want to consider the modified EE Tube DAC (or wait for the improved V2 to arrive), the Anedio, or an Audio-GD. Otherwise I don't think there's that much of interest in the $1-2K range, just a lot of samey CS8416 receivers, BB PCM179x chips, and op-amp outputs. Meh.

Jul 10, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #13 of 24
The only problem is here in Australia I don't have much of a range to choose from and listen to. Which is why I want to take the safe road and get what a lot of people say is good. I've never heard a really good set of headphones so this purchase will be the first really good set I listen to.

The Audeze LCD2 seem like they are a really good headphone. I've got a bit more reading to do before I decide but I think it will be down to them and the HD800's. The EE Tube DAC looks good but I think I'll wait for the V2 if it has the better USB support.

I realize the heaphones and pre-amp need to be paired but does the DAC change anything when pairing them? I think to start with I'll get the headphones and pre-amp. I'll get the DAC later once I've listened to the headphones for a while and I can hear the difference the DAC makes. Or is the DAC essential?

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #14 of 24

Quote:
The Audeze LCD2 seem like they are a really good headphone. I've got a bit more reading to do before I decide but I think it will be down to them and the HD800's. The EE Tube DAC looks good but I think I'll wait for the V2 if it has the better USB support.

I realize the heaphones and pre-amp need to be paired but does the DAC change anything when pairing them? I think to start with I'll get the headphones and pre-amp. I'll get the DAC later once I've listened to the headphones for a while and I can hear the difference the DAC makes. Or is the DAC essential?

What is your source? If you are using a CD player, you don't need a DAC. If you are using a computer, you can use a sound card like a M-Audio or RME straight into your amp. In my opinion the best way to get sound out of a PC is asynchronous USB via either a converter or USB DAC, but you don't have to start with that.

Jul 12, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #15 of 24

Quote:
What is your source? If you are using a CD player, you don't need a DAC. If you are using a computer, you can use a sound card like a M-Audio or RME straight into your amp. In my opinion the best way to get sound out of a PC is asynchronous USB via either a converter or USB DAC, but you don't have to start with that.

My source will be my PC, I've got a SPDIF port with onboard sound. I'd rather buy the best things to start with so that I don't have to upgrade any time soon. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back