Need help choosing a USB DAC
Oct 13, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #16 of 21
See if you can stretch for a Benchmark USB DAC -- go used if you need to. It is a far more sophisticated DAC, a very good headphone amp and the company provides strong user support. It is built for pro use, so it will last a very long time and will hold its value while others fade into oblivion. I own several USB DAC's and even though I prefer a far more expensive one (the Cosecant V3 from Wavelength Audio) I enjoy listening to the Benchmark every time I fire it up (it is in a second system). Regards, James

Oct 13, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #17 of 21
This thread isn't complete without mentioning USB Monica. Lovely organic DAC - Non-OS makes sense. (The new touted RWA tube amp uses a non-OS DAC...)

I have to say though that the new Pico DAC with RCA outs sounds very interesting. I love small high quality solutions.

Oct 28, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Telynau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See if you can stretch for a Benchmark USB DAC -- go used if you need to. It is a far more sophisticated DAC, a very good headphone amp and the company provides strong user support. It is built for pro use, so it will last a very long time and will hold its value while others fade into oblivion. I own several USB DAC's and even though I prefer a far more expensive one (the Cosecant V3 from Wavelength Audio) I enjoy listening to the Benchmark every time I fire it up (it is in a second system). Regards, James

The DAC1 is just slightly under the Cambridge 840C in terms of price, but farther below in quality. For a modern DAC, I would suggest the 840C above most everything else for under $1,500.

The DACMagic is worth trying out for budget, along with the Apogee Duet (if you have a mac) or the Headamp Pico DAC-only (when it is released).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back