Need help choosing a USB DAC
Sep 25, 2008 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

GeoD

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm relatively new to Head-Fi and already took a plunge on a set of Denon AH-D2000 which I'm currently working on burning in.

I primarily use my headphones when working on my laptop. My current setup is as follows:

Laptop -> Turtle Beach Amigo -> Yamaha Reciever -> Denon AH-D2000's

The sound is an upgrade from my previous setup, but I know I'm not doing the phones any justice.

Ideally, I want to upgrade and go with a quality USB DAC and headphone amp. I've done some research but come up baffled on what is a quality option to go with. I'd like to keep the budget +/- $500 for the USB DAC and +/- $500 for the headphone amp. I originally was thinking of going with a PICO, but decided to do separate DAC + Amp combo.

I looked at the Keces DA-151 DAC based on a review here, but I wasn't able to find too many options as far as stand alone USB DAC's. Are there DAC's out there that I could use off of my laptop and my receiver? Say when I want to play Xbox360 or something?

The amp I'm leaning towards is the WooAudio6 if that helps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I apologize if these are noob questions, but I have been reading and learning a lot, but still manage to be confused.

Cheers,

George

Sep 25, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by imademymark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can still get the pico, and use it purely as a DAC. it's fantastic that way

Definitely still considering this since it would also amp my headphones until I upgrade to a dedicated amp. The portability is nice too. Definitely still a top contender, thanks imadeymymark!

George

Sep 25, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 21
Geod,
Headroom may have some solutions for you such as the micros or ultra micros if you want a seperate DAC and amp, or if you want to combine the dac and amp i believe all of their dac options have a usb input.
Take a look at - Headroom

Dave

Sep 26, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 21
$500 I'd easily recommend the Pico. Haven't heard better at that price new and through USB. Only thing I'd consider is if you should wait for the DAC only version that's been rumored and likely to be decently cheaper.

Again there are vintage used DACs I'd recommend and I prefer the Apogee Duet (Firewire) as DAC only duty, but haven't found anything else new and USB better at that price (and heard DACs twice that which are overall worse IMO).

Sep 26, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 21
I am using a Stello DA100 with my WA6. It sounds great, but the DA100 might be stretching your budget.

I agree with blessingx that the Duet sounds great for it's price as well. It doesn't have a USB input though.

Sep 28, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 21
MHDT Paradisea+ Dac (three types of inputs, has tubed stage, incredible see-through chasis) with a DV or Woo amp.

Sep 28, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #9 of 21
While no one has heard it (and probably won't for another month or so), the Cambridge Audio DacMagic could be good. I'm interested in seeing if this can keep up with some of the "big boy" DACs.

Oct 9, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wonder if the pico dac will also come with optical and coax inputs

It isnt out yet but I feel comfortable saying "NO". I would think Justin would integrate the dac into an amp product and if so, who knows. Pico dac is just a pico without the amp and RCAs.

Oct 9, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #14 of 21
ahh then it looks like the dac magic will give it a pretty hard time
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back