Need help choosing a Sennheiser headphone
Dec 18, 2017 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Vanish

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I'm a new member and also a noob one. I have very little knowledge about audiophile. My first pair are the Sennheiser HD 598. I bought it about 5 months ago after getting tired with cheap-easily-broken headphones. I'm very happy with my 598, used them mostly for gaming and movies. Now I looking for another pair to use at my workplace. And I'm so torn between HD 569, HD 598cs and HD 579.
After trying to read and watch reviews about them, I feel even more confused. I have some question:
- Are HD 569 and HD 598cs the same ? I mean they're both closed back, look similar, but are they really sound the same ?
- How the HD 579 performs compare to HD 598 ? I don't have much reference to compare to. So it'd be great if you guys could share your experience about the HD 579.
- Also I bought a Sennheiser 4.40 BT last month hoping to use it with my PS4 but ended up selling it because Sony slapped me in the face and said PS4 doesn't support bluetooth headphones :disappointed: And I don't really like the cold, harsh feel of 4.40 BT sounding. I like it warmer. And the around-ear pads made me stop using them after an hour because my ears hurt. I don't have this problem with the 598. So now I know I wanna look for a big, large over-ear ( circumaural ) headphones, warm sound with some more bass over my 598 ( I'm not a basshead) Closed back would be great but I don't mind open back either.
TL;DR: What should I buy HD 569, HD 598cs or HD 579 ? How they sound ? Are 569 and 598cs sound the same. A comparison of them all would be great.
And thank you ! :)

Dec 18, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 21
1) the 569 and 598cs are not the same, the 598cs is essentially better but it's up to the buyer to decide if it's worth the extra money.
2) None of those are going to have a lot of bass, that's just Sennheisers signature sound. Perhaps try a different brand?

Dec 19, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #3 of 21
1) the 569 and 598cs are not the same, the 598cs is essentially better but it's up to the buyer to decide if it's worth the extra money.
2) None of those are going to have a lot of bass, that's just Sennheisers signature sound. Perhaps try a different brand?
Thanks for the reply. If 569 and 598cs are not the same and 598cs essentially better. Could you please give me some info of how they are better ?
I love Sennheisers signature sound and I don't want a lot of bass, I just want a little more bass compare to my old 598.
Also how about HD 579 ?

Dec 19, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 21
Check out a Sennheiser HD630VB if you can get it cheap approx $200-250 us. Would make an awesome closed office can, with variable bass.Overall driver performance a step ahead of their 5xx line.

Just not widely known around here.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #5 of 21
Check out a Sennheiser HD630VB if you can get it cheap approx $200-250 us. Would make an awesome closed office can, with variable bass.Overall driver performance a step ahead of their 5xx line.

Just not widely known around here.
I'm afraid the HD630VB ear cups are not big enough for my ears. It has to be the super large ear cup like the 5xx series to fit my ears cause I always wear headphones for long session ( 3 ~ 8 hours ) And it's price in my region is like $450 which is kinda high for my budget. But thank you for the suggestion.
Yesterday I found a store that had the demo of HD 569 and 579. I tried them both. The 579 feels really similar to my 598, at least my uneducated ears feel so xD. The 569 however sounds way different. The bass is some kind of lower, easier to notice but not as punchy as 579. Idk...but they do sound fun to me. So now I'm leaning toward the closed back option. Just wanna know how the 598cs fair with 569. Cause currently there's no way I can demo the 598cs.
And also a guy at that store told me that I shoud be careful when order the 598cs. Because they're limited edition that mostly sold out. So those on sale online now have a chance to be fake product. I'm not sure what he said is true. I did read a post of unlucky guy getting a fake HD 598. If I choose 598cs I'm gonna order them from Amazon. Is there any chance I'll get a fake one ?

Dec 20, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #6 of 21
I'm afraid the HD630VB ear cups are not big enough for my ears. It has to be the super large ear cup like the 5xx series to fit my ears cause I always wear headphones for long session ( 3 ~ 8 hours ) And it's price in my region is like $450 which is kinda high for my budget. But thank you for the suggestion.
Yesterday I found a store that had the demo of HD 569 and 579. I tried them both. The 579 feels really similar to my 598, at least my uneducated ears feel so xD. The 569 however sounds way different. The bass is some kind of lower, easier to notice but not as punchy as 579. Idk...but they do sound fun to me. So now I'm leaning toward the closed back option. Just wanna know how the 598cs fair with 569. Cause currently there's no way I can demo the 598cs.
And also a guy at that store told me that I shoud be careful when order the 598cs. Because they're limited edition that mostly sold out. So those on sale online now have a chance to be fake product. I'm not sure what he said is true. I did read a post of unlucky guy getting a fake HD 598. If I choose 598cs I'm gonna order them from Amazon. Is there any chance I'll get a fake one ?
Just buy from Sennheisers Amazon page, 130 bucks for the 598cs and no chance of it being fake

Dec 20, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #8 of 21
Do you want a Sennheiser headphone ? Then your problems are over, buy the one from the image below and be happy:
Sennheiser-Orpheus-HE-1060-set.jpg

:p

Dec 21, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #11 of 21
Haha that's true :beyersmile: Now I'm choosing between HD 569 and HD 598cs only. Just want some more detail info of how they sound compare to each other.
But why exactly do you want a sennheiser headphone ? Why not another brand ? And the fact that you use a headphone that leaks sound would not be a problem in your workplace ?

Dec 21, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #12 of 21
I think OP might want one that doesn't require selling his kidney.

I don't think selling his kidney would be enough.

And the fact that you use a headphone that leaks sound would not be a problem in your workplace ?

My thoughts too. Maybe he has his own office?

Sennheiser in general is quite expensive in other countries outside the US and EU from 3rd party distributors thanks to tax, shipping, dealer mark ups, etc. As @Renato Fury has said, why does it have to be Sennheiser specifically? Do you want something that sounds similar to your HD598 or do you want any Sennheiser headphone. so long as it's from Sennheiser?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #13 of 21
Thanks for the reply guys!
Yes I kinda have my own workplace, I'm a full freelancer for now. But I'm not sure it'll stay the same in future. So now I only want to choose between 569 and 598cs. Both are closed back. The reason why I only want Sennheiser is because I like their signature sound, and their large comfortable ear cups. I know other brands may have better cans, but my priority is the comfort. My ears are big, and I wear glasses. So others over-ear headphones with smaller ear cups gonna hurt my ears after like 2 hours.
For now my only doubt is I don't know how HD 569 sounds compare to HD 598cs. I wanna pick one of them, just not sure which.

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #14 of 21
Thanks for the reply guys!
Yes I kinda have my own workplace, I'm a full freelancer for now. But I'm not sure it'll stay the same in future. So now I only want to choose between 569 and 598cs. Both are closed back. The reason why I only want Sennheiser is because I like their signature sound, and their large comfortable ear cups. I know other brands may have better cans, but my priority is the comfort. My ears are big, and I wear glasses. So others over-ear headphones with smaller ear cups gonna hurt my ears after like 2 hours.
For now my only doubt is I don't know how HD 569 sounds compare to HD 598cs. I wanna pick one of them, just not sure which.
If it was to use in an office that is probably a noisy environment I would extend the money a little more and buy this one:
Meze_Classic99_Photo_Colors.jpg

And the good thing is he does not need an amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back