Need help choosing a rotary switch from Mauser's website
Oct 7, 2009 at 5:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

KT88

500+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I'm building a Pimeta + GrubDAC combo, and I want to be able to choose between the DAC and the RCA input. I want a rotary switch with 2-3 inputs (I dont really care if there's more, just have no need for it, I'll leave the disconnected). I tried looking at mouser's website, and the selection is just overwhelming. Can you guys help me out? I'm not looking for anything fancy. Something nice that will get the job done (preferably w/o adding much noise.

Thanks.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #3 of 9
it means I must use TRS connector and I want RCA input so I'll be able to connect it directly to whatever I want, and don't have to make an adapter.

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #4 of 9
Do a search on "switchbox" using the Google feature in the top search item. Lorlin are available at Mouser and are pretty inexpensive. Note that when you get into the heavier switches, they take some effort to turn (you'll need a larger knob) so probably aren't suitable for your application. If you really only need 2 inputs, you could use a DPDT toggle switch as well. The Electroswitch C-12 (IIRC; search for the model here). is supposed to be quite nice, but this will definitely take some turning force.

Oct 7, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 9
unless its a gamma 1
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry i have nice trs to rca cables, i never thought of rca's on a small amp.

The best sounding would be a dpst isolated panel mount switch. Then your rca's could be soldered directly to the amp. Unplug the rcas and flip the switch to goto grub. Bad thing about this is you cant have the rcas and grub running at the same time.

Next up is a dpdt, but then all sources have to go thru a switch.

edit:

How about a switched rca?

http://mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kobi...gPtK5a/A%3d%3d

Oct 7, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 9
Thank you both. Both options look attractive. I'll try looking if there's a panel mount version of the RCA connector, since that one is used for PCB's.
I guess I'll get my self one of these rotary switches, and a pair of these connectors to try out.

BTW, would you suggest have all the ground wires (RCA+amp+Grub) connected together all the time, or should I use 3 pole switch (to avoid possible issues of noise perhaps)?

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #7 of 9
Id ground them all to one star point, thats why i was recommending 2 pole units. The best switch is no switch, and the easiest way to get a ground loop is to use a switch.

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #9 of 9
It is a nice idea, as it allows two separate boxes, but I want to have one of the DAC's inside the same box as the amp, this way all I'll have sticking out of the box is a USB cable, power cable, and that's it. Its very convenient since it means I have less things on my desktop (and when the GrubDAC is disconnected, I dont have to find a place for it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back