Need help choosing a pair of inexpensive portable over-ear, fully closed (winter) headphones, mostly for rock, metal, heavy dubstep(!!).
Nov 2, 2013 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

MygpuK

100+ Head-Fier
Good day everyone and thank you for this great forum!

Intro: Was not an audiophile before dubstep, just because those feelings are something unbelievable for me :D. So, before audiophiling i got no proper gadgets as a proper cellphone and acoustic system. Now I am looking for a proper audiophile headset for the money i can afford.
Please, excuse me for the off-topic: the choosing of proper cellphone. You of course have the right to ignore that part of my topic, I am just kindly asking.

Sorry for bad english.
I have poor choice in my country, so I buy abroad (site 
www.computeruniverse.com
because i can trust those guys, you may consider only their choice range or make me trust another seller with good customer services, such as consultations and warantee case issue solving, implied seller warantee is also a plus to me) As i got money to afford a new cellphone, I got those principles to choose something satisfying:

Basically, no money limit (expectations: under 250$, may afford a bit more).
I take in consideration the following things to choose whether the expensive is better:

1. Bigger battery = better. If everything else is equal. By bigger I mean fewer recharges, not taking in account the impedance of the headphones, with no music it must be something like 500+ hours stand-by, 400+ min talking 2G (Sony Xperia M as reference, the reference may be wrong!!), also I may go balls deep regarding technical specs, meaning that I shall try to find out which CPU/Display technology consumes less energy, whether the optimisation was good enough... etc. I'm not crazy, just a geek))

2. Not laggy. As far as i know 1 core 1 ghz is enough. Cannot know the gigahashes/sec though. Don't know where to find such info lol.

3. Solid. Just solid. Yes, i may accidentaly let it fall to the asphalt from the height of ~1,5m. I wish to not worry the display will be broken for sure. I mean i will not throw the cellphone into the wall, of course.

4. Preferably, android. Windows mobile is possible, depends on the other factors.

5. I may got frightned by the brand, because only the following brands proved to me they have solid products: Nokia, Sony, Samsung, Apple, maybe I forgot someone.
I mean whether the brand is not of these, please try to convince me the build is ok :))) I will check of course, but teh internets do not give proper info 100%.

6. No camera is still ok.

7. As far as i know, TFT displays consume more energy than any other technology. Not a priority, really, but IF all other factors are equal, and another technology is too expensive, I would choose a smaller display :)))

8. The least priority, the speakers.

P.S.: To be clear, I choose the cellphone FROM the audiophile perspective. I did so in the lowest price segment, not paying attention to LG solutions(!!). I found out Sony Xperia M (300$) should be the best choice, I THINK I'M WRONG, men! :)
P.S.S: I do not need "extra" those priorities because i understand it will vary the price!

Thank you for your patience, if you've read that nonsense :)))

So, regarding the headphones. I've heard (of course, i should've read the tech info you put in the forum, I just have no time ATM, sorry!) that a higher impedance headset will be result in less-than-full quality of the output sound. Maybe, the loudness was meant, russian is just too vast to be sure without asking.
To be clear, i don't mind if the cellphone will have empty battery at the end of the day, listening music all the day long at full volume.  I suppose lower volume = less consumption.
To do the best choice at those two we must do some in-depth analysis, if you are willing to help me out! :)
My freakness is that i love to use my headset instead of a regular hat for winter. (~ -15C, should be like ~ 0C for your climate if you're afraid of such temperature).

Basically, no money limit (expectations: under 150$, may afford a bit more).
I take in consideration the following things to choose whether the expensive is better:

1. Solid build. I act with care, but I wish them to not break if I did nothing wrong. In the low-cost category everything is plastic. I'm okay with plastic, but it's quality is exceptionally low every time. That's why I wish something that will last many years IF I do no mistake (like providing extra force to put em on the head and off it, if you understand me).

2. Better audiophile satisfaction. To clear this out we have the following 2 priorities.

3. Noise isolation. I need loudness just to cover the outer noise, basically.

4. Sound quality. I cannot find proper term, but as far as I know, the headsets which pretend to output music close to the thought of it's author are called MONITORS. If I'm right, that's what I am looking for.  Clearness in the meaning of that if author wished it to sound like 13123 herz it must be that exact number. Or as close to it.
I suppose higher impedance = better quality. Here is where the problem hides:
 I suppose higher impedance is better, the question is, which cellphone from the given "list" above will let me use, say, 60 Ohm headset? I understand the basic electronics, that we have the battery which gives only 3+ Volts and we have the chips inside the cellphone which may use CPU, GPU, GSM, microSD FLASH reading and so on.
I just cannot know ATM how well is that optimized overall in the cellphone.
1. Which is the AUDIOCHIP used in the cellphone?? How shall I know that??
2. How can I know AUDIOCHIP max OK supported headset impedance???
3. The AUDIOCHIP also deals with output sound quality how?

P.S.: You may of course answer me with links from the forum! I am kindly asking you to not do the effort explaining me such things.

I'm not a big audiophile or a clearness maniac, so I may consider several options, depends on price.

5. The cushions. Everyone speaks of leather, but I've never used it. So, I know material is fine, like velvet or similar, leather is ok, but no standart extra-cheap cushions. As far as i know, they just start to fray after several months. I wish this part to be as solid as possible.

5. It may have the weight of a truck, I just need to run freely with the headset on (AND HAVE IT COMFORTABLE, I just can't give me the size of my head, lol. Something like medium to big). Or fall with the face to the ice (winter headset, lol) not being afraid I will damage the headset. (or even if it falls to the ground so)

6. I suppose 50 mm magnet is better then the less.

7. I would rather have more clarity than bass.

8. Size. There may be heavy snow. They just shouldn't be too big to fit inside my winter coat hood. To be somewhat precise, max 3-4 cm. of the cushion-level overall thickness.

I ask you to put several choice options in different price segments, having every other priority locked, only the sound quality may vary (#2, #6), starting at 40$, I suppose.
P.S.: Text so big I did more than 3 mistakes :D
MANY THANKS AND THANK YOU MUCH!!! I really hope you will help me as experts! 
L3000.gif

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 28
To be clear, portable does not mean foldable. Everything is portable to me, but the cellphone tells me that he cannot have proper drivers installed.

MODDING IS NOT A PROBLEM if I can get what is needed.

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 28
ONLINE AND STILL WAITING for response to post #1... Though can fall asleep without preventing :D. I cannot know whether the link below is a up-to-date fully covering the criteria list. Sorry for troubling(

Tell me please if what I have choosed until I was awaiting responses FITS all my criteria above. (still waiting your opinion from the criteria given, please!)
Note that I am only supplying links to tell the prices of found products!!! 
(Looked in http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-108-portable-headphones-reviewed-denon-dn-hp1000-added-09-07-13)

1. I've checked that side and found nothing good... tell me please where I can possibly supply with the given criteria in post #1....

2. Audio-Technica ATH-M50 - liked them as hell! Good option with the criteria given above?? To be clear, with that link being given, I have set two variables: isolation and sound quality. I wish build and price as PLUS.
 Other options: Numark PHX pro, Superlux HD668B, Sony MDR-ZX700, MDR-V6 (hope i can find them, seem outdated)
Where can I buy that beauty? :frowning2:
Sony MDR-ZX700 - second priority.
Numark PHX Pro - third priority if first two not available. 

Full list: denon dn-hp700(8.1)  Ultrasone(8.0) Koss Pro DJ100(7.8) Numark PHX Pro (7.8) Sony MDR-XB700 (7.7) Bose Triport(AE1)(7.4) Prodipe Pro 800(7.4) Sennheiser HD428(7.4) Audio-technica ATH-SQ5(7.3) Klipsch(7.1).

Do they fit to the criteria? I am currently trying to find it out myself.
Very tired, please halp :frowning2:

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 28
Hello,

First of all, bigger driver =/= better sound! higher impedance =/= better sound as well. As for what phone to get, I have 0 idea for that sorry :xf_eek: but I know Nokia is like the tough guy.

For headphones, I personally do not find ATH-M50 to be comfortable. There's the UE6000 that is better than it under $200 price bracket. If you like the ATH-M50, the UE6000 is even better IMO

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 28
Hello,

First of all, bigger driver =/= better sound! higher impedance =/= better sound as well. As for what phone to get, I have 0 idea for that sorry
redface.gif
but I know Nokia is like the tough guy.

For headphones, I personally do not find ATH-M50 to be comfortable. There's the UE6000 that is better than it under $200 price bracket. If you like the ATH-M50, the UE6000 is even better IMO

Hope it helps!
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for your thought! But as I stated, I have zero idea which internet seller to trust. Local choice is very-very poor.

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 28
  Thanks for your thought! But as I stated, I have zero idea which internet seller to trust. Local choice is very-very poor.

Order it directly from the manufacturers website! They may be able to direct you to their authorized dealer who is usually reliable :)

Nov 3, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #9 of 28
i think u should look at the KRK KNS8400...( its got a MONITORing pedigree :p)
its rock solid, its comfy, its clear sounding, it wont leak much sound..its quite compact for u to slip a hood over it :p
its not tat costly...maybe 100bucks?
Also v easy to power this can, any fone...or sansa clip will do.

http://www.amazon.com/KRK-KNS8400-Studio-Headphones/dp/B004ARUO2S

Nov 3, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #10 of 28
  i think u should look at the KRK KNS8400...( its got a MONITORing pedigree :p)
its rock solid, its comfy, its clear sounding, it wont leak much sound..its quite compact for u to slip a hood over it :p
its not tat costly...maybe 100bucks?
Also v easy to power this can, any fone...or sansa clip will do.

http://www.amazon.com/KRK-KNS8400-Studio-Headphones/dp/B004ARUO2S

Thanks for the thought!! I ought choosing something either from my trusted seller or another trusted seller who I can trust, IF i think your choice is good?

Nov 3, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #11 of 28
  To be clear, portable does not mean foldable. Everything is portable to me, but the cellphone tells me that he cannot have proper drivers installed.

MODDING IS NOT A PROBLEM if I can get what is needed.

yea I also carry around giant headphones and well lot's of stuff portably I feel u there lol 

ONLINE AND STILL WAITING for response to post #1... Though can fall asleep without preventing :D. I cannot know whether the link below is a up-to-date fully covering the criteria list. Sorry for troubling(

Tell me please if what I have choosed until I was awaiting responses FITS all my criteria above. (still waiting your opinion from the criteria given, please!)
Note that I am only supplying links to tell the prices of found products!!! 
(Looked in http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-108-portable-headphones-reviewed-denon-dn-hp1000-added-09-07-13)

1. I've checked that side and found nothing good... tell me please where I can possibly supply with the given criteria in post #1....

2. Audio-Technica ATH-M50 - liked them as hell! Good option with the criteria given above?? To be clear, with that link being given, I have set two variables: isolation and sound quality. I wish build and price as PLUS.
 Other options: Numark PHX pro, Superlux HD668B, Sony MDR-ZX700, MDR-V6 (hope i can find them, seem outdated)
Where can I buy that beauty? :frowning2:
Sony MDR-ZX700 - second priority.
Numark PHX Pro - third priority if first two not available. 

So Myg shot me a PM

I'll give you some tips based on what I like 

1) Beyerdyanmic makes a very nice sounding headphone and they are really warm actually [Velour ePads] 
now for sound the Dt 880 sounds very nice! I like it but it's open so it won't isolate you from outside noises 

I've also heard some positives about the DT 770 but I've never heard them ]

actually... one of my favorite headphones for portable use [not sure how warm they are but they are closed] ar e the Sound Magic HP 100. They cost $200 new, you can get them for less used

I would how ever suggest that you use a hat... I'm not sure how sub freezing temps will.. affect headphones... and use a big hat >.> 

Nov 3, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #12 of 28
  yea I also carry around giant headphones and well lot's of stuff portably I feel u there lol 

So Myg shot me a PM

I'll give you some tips based on what I like 

1) Beyerdyanmic makes a very nice sounding headphone and they are really warm actually [Velour ePads] 
now for sound the Dt 880 sounds very nice! I like it but it's open so it won't isolate you from outside noises 

I've also heard some positives about the DT 770 but I've never heard them ]

actually... one of my favorite headphones for portable use [not sure how warm they are but they are closed] ar e the Sound Magic HP 100. They cost $200 new, you can get them for less used

I would how ever suggest that you use a hat... I'm not sure how sub freezing temps will.. affect headphones... and use a big hat >.> 

Lol :D
Thank you so much! I am trying to find some in-depth review of the desired products! I've found reviews in the link from post #3.
Which resource can I trust meaning a trustful MAN, not forum or site. To be clear, perfectly, I would like some nicknames of famous (for their balls-deep analysis and objectiveness) reviewers.

What would you say regarding ATH-M50, Denon DN-HP700, Sony MDR-ZX700 and YAMAHA RH10MS(ultrasone hfi-450) compared to your choices? 
Say, from the perspective of my music chocies. As I stated, I wish the bass to be juicy, but I would trade extra-bass for clarity.
You totally have my respect!
Also, velour is nice! I would be angry if my earcups would have sweat of some kind of low-quality leather build. (meaning no breathing at all)

Nov 3, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #13 of 28
  Lol :D
Thank you so much! I am trying to find some in-depth review of the desired products! I've found reviews in the link from post #3.
Which resource can I trust meaning a trustful MAN, not forum or site. To be clear, perfectly, I would like some nicknames of famous (for their balls-deep analysis and objectiveness) reviewers.

What would you say regarding ATH-M50, Denon DN-HP700, Sony MDR-ZX700 and YAMAHA RH10MS(ultrasone hfi-450) compared to your choices? 
Say, from the perspective of my music chocies. As I stated, I wish the bass to be juicy, but I would trade extra-bass for clarity.
You totally have my respect!
Also, velour is nice! I would be angry if my earcups would have sweat of some kind of low-quality leather build. (meaning no breathing at all)

A lot of ppl like the DT 770 Pro 80ohm for nice bass and good sound quality

how ever I've not heard any of the headphones you mention >.> 

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #14 of 28
  A lot of ppl like the DT 770 Pro 80ohm for nice bass and good sound quality

how ever I've not heard any of the headphones you mention >.> 

Sorry for bothering, but will be able, as example, the phone "Sony Xperia M" to manage this kind of resistance?
Doing balls-deep analysis, I need the amperage of the battery to keep it up (if the audiochip allows such current).  Do you have any info regarding that?

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #15 of 28
As far as I analysed info, a 80 ohm model will be nearly 3x more quiet on a 32 ohms supporting mobile phone... Is there so much room to not use that loudness??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back