Need help choosing a pair of durable, budget(< $150) open or closed ear over-ear headphones. Gaming and music.
Sep 25, 2013 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Orion519

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I posted here about a year back in the recommendation megathread, but I ended up just replacing my broken Razer Carcharias with a breaking Plantronics Gamecom 777. I have finally decided it is time to pull the trigger.

1. Headphones, not headset.
  2. Max budget is $150. I don't even really want to spend that much. I'd me much more comfortable spending something in the $50 range. If you can convince me it would be worth it to break the $100 barrier, I might be willing to go a little higher.
  3. The headphones will stay at my desktop. They don't need to be portable. I'd prefer over-ear to on-ear. They can be open or closed. I don't really understand the difference between the two. I know that a closed will have less leakage, but that isn't a problem. I know that the open has a better soundstage, but the two headphones I listed above are the best quality headphones I've ever listened to and I couldn't tell you if I like headphones with a better soundstage.
  4. They'll be used for some gaming. I don't really need to be competitive with them. I don't need to tell someones position, but it would be an added bonus. The current game I'm playing is Final Fantasy 14.
  5. They'll additionally be used for music. I listen to a bit of everything. Classical, Classic Rock, Pop, Dubstep, etc. If I'm 100% honest, I don't own a ton of high-quality music so most of what I listen to will likely come from various music streaming applications/sites(spotify/pandora/etc.)
  6. Sound is coming from my Z77 Extreme4 motherboard. If I need to get an amplifier/dac/sound card, I can, but it will be coming out of the headphone budget.
  7. I have a history of headphones breaking on me. I'm not overly rough with them. I think the most often point of failure is the cord. When they start to break, I'll be able to move the cord and it'll come back for a bit.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks,
Adam

Sep 27, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #2 of 6
Update: I actually have the Plantronics Gamecom 367 instead of the 777.

I don't want to taint and possible recommendations, but the headphones I've been looking at lately are the Sennheiser HD 558. These are at the top of my price range and I do have a few concerns with them. I don't believe I'm a basshead and the 558s will probably have more bass than any headphones I have owned before, but I do listen to some dubstep and I am a little concerned about lack bass. Additionally, I'm concerned about durability. As I have mentioned in my previous post, I have a long history with cheap headphones breaking on me. The most common point of weakness is where the cord goes into the ear area. Sound will usually go out in on ear before finally going out in both ears. The cord can sometimes be wiggled to get the sound back, but that only delays the inevitable. 

Any recommendations are appreciated. I'm not at all sold on the HD 558 yet so please feel free to offer other suggestions.

Thanks again,
-Adam

Sep 27, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 6
Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80) headphones, $50 on eBay.
Asus Xonar DG sound card, $27 and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month (Amazon).

The HD558s do have bass, but not a heavy bass, for me the bass is decent enough.

Oct 2, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 6
  Any additional recommendations? I've begun to think that the HD558s are a little expensive for what I need.

Superlux HD681, $30 or HD681 EVO, $45
Samson SR-850, $50 (made by Superlux)
You can get different types of ear pads for these headphones for $16 each, eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back