Need help choosing $200 and below headphones for bass/rap/hip-hop, please.
Nov 16, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #16 of 42
Thanks you guys for all the replies. Though I am considering the Audio Technica Ath-Pro700Mk2 most likely paired with an amplifier, probably fiio e11 (this combo has received a ton of praise), the Beats Studio with some sort of amplifier if anyone has suggestion and if one would actually benefit them, or the Sennheiser momentum. The momentums might not have enough bass for me (maybe they will, idk), so I may want an amplifier. The momentums look like they wouldn't be too hard to modify into a counterfeit Beats pair of headphones (or at least attach the beats headbands to the sennheiser cans) What do you guys say regarding amplifier combos with these?

Also, I would be using an iPhone 4, a Galaxy Note 3 in the future, and my toshiba satellite laptop.

Thanks! And please excuse my weakness for Beats style

Nov 16, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #17 of 42
From my personal research over the last week or so I have found these: SONY Stereo Headphones MDR-XB1000.

Take note that these headphones are in the upper echelon so to speak of the headphone market and will run you around $300.

Give them a look.

Nov 16, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #18 of 42
  Thanks you guys for all the replies. Though I am considering the Audio Technica Ath-Pro700Mk2 most likely paired with an amplifier, probably fiio e11 (this combo has received a ton of praise), the Beats Studio with some sort of amplifier if anyone has suggestion and if one would actually benefit them, or the Sennheiser momentum. The momentums might not have enough bass for me (maybe they will, idk), so I may want an amplifier. The momentums look like they wouldn't be too hard to modify into a counterfeit Beats pair of headphones (or at least attach the beats headbands to the sennheiser cans) What do you guys say regarding amplifier combos with these?

Also, I would be using an iPhone 4, a Galaxy Note 3 in the future, and my toshiba satellite laptop.

Thanks! And please excuse my weakness for Beats style

No issus, the PRo700 is a great bass heavy headphone, and yes PLEASE use an amp with it. also consider getting your self a
 DigiZoid, bass boosting amp. With the DigiZoid amp the Pro700 should be able to blow an eardrum... literally the amp can shove out like +20dbs of BASS BOOSTING power. But yea that is a very nice combo. ANd I doubt the Momentums will have enough bass for you. 

I think you should enjoy the Pro700 :D with either the E11 or DigiZoid 2.x amp 

From my personal research over the last week or so I have found these: SONY Stereo Headphones MDR-XB1000.

Take note that these headphones are in the upper echelon so to speak of the headphone market and will run you around $300.

Give them a look.

THE XB 1000 are a bit over priced imo, I iwned the XB 700 and at the time it was in production. For $80 it was a STEAL. How ever it nor the 1000 are made so I'd stick with the ATH Pro700

Nov 16, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #21 of 42
  Will an amplifier make up for the recessed or lacking mids and highs in either of the two (Studio and 700mk2)? Or just improve bass?

Amps are needed for like all headphones for the general quality.

Nov 16, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #22 of 42

Amps are needed for like all headphones for the general quality.

The best way to maintain quality

Is to use a Line out from ur music player into an amp. 

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #23 of 42
Alright, I think these are my finalists: Audio Technica ATH Pro700MK2   vs   JVC HA-S500. I intend to get the FiiO e11 amp as well no matter which one I get (if it will benefit both). Which one would you guys pick for nice, hard bass and with overall sound clarity/quality? Please refer to my initial post at the beginning of the thread to see things you should consider.

Beats are off the table now, I think for the better.

Thanks a ton in advance

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #24 of 42
  Alright, I think these are my finalists: Audio Technica ATH Pro700MK2   vs   JVC HA-S500. I intend to get the FiiO e11 amp as well no matter which one I get (if it will benefit both). Which one would you guys pick for nice, hard bass and with overall sound clarity/quality? Please refer to my initial post at the beginning of the thread to see things you should consider.

Beats are off the table now, I think for the better.

Thanks a ton in advance

Go with the Audio Technica's definitely buy an amp and a DAC if you intend to use these with a computer.

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #25 of 42

Go with the Audio Technica's definitely buy an amp and a DAC if you intend to use these with a computer.

Or Or, you could get teh AUdio TEchnica and buy a Fiio E17, which is both a Dac and Headphone amp! Use the Amp with ur Phone and the Dac/Amp with ur Pc :3 

Nov 17, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #27 of 42
My advice is just get the Beats Studios.  I think it's probably the product you'd be happiest with.  

Before you spend a chunk-o-change on a portable amp, I suggest taking your cans to a head-fi meet.  There you can see what your hp's sound like on all kinds of gear, without anyone trying to sell you anything.

Nov 17, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #28 of 42
  My advice is just get the Beats Studios.  I think it's probably the product you'd be happiest with.  

Before you spend a chunk-o-change on a portable amp, I suggest taking your cans to a head-fi meet.  There you can see what your hp's sound like on all kinds of gear, without anyone trying to sell you anything.

Another good idea, 

Although I'm never a fan of recommending them seeing as for less you can get something that sounds better, but alas I'm not any sort of visual guy... I don't have any real idea on what "looks" good so xD if you want a fashionable headphone, then beats are pretty tough to beat 

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #29 of 42
Hmm. I managed to find a guy who tried out both that I have narrowed it down to, and he said to skip both and get the Logitech UE6000 (Ultimate Ears). Will these really be better? With an amp too?

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #30 of 42
  Hmm. I managed to find a guy who tried out both that I have narrowed it down to, and he said to skip both and get the Logitech UE6000 (Ultimate Ears). Will these really be better? With an amp too?

Actually lucky for you, if you can wait a few days I have an Logitech UE 6000 on my way to my house! I can give you pictures of it and I'll do a review. So if you can wait I'll let you know first hand. Although I don't have any "un amped" sources to test it with... I have a Hifiman HM 801 and well that won't help you much testing it out of that...

what I can do though is test it with my LapTop. My laptop has a very inexpensive $30 Dac/Amp with it so... that unit a Berringher UAC 202 should be comparable. That said, I will let you know shortly :D 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back