Need help choosing $200 and below headphones for bass/rap/hip-hop, please.
Nov 15, 2013 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

cabrown3

New Head-Fier
Before I start, please forgive my lack of headphone/audio vocabulary.
I listen to primarily rap and hip hop (maybe 85%), then the rest is alternative rock, dubstep, or metal. I am going for heavy, somewhat vibrating bass but I would like it to be sharp. It would be cool to have decent highs and mids of course. Keep in mind that I am willing to buy an amplifier such as the fiio E6 to make any headphone better. I'd like them to have some style as well. I will be using them mostly for lifting/running.

I tried out the Beats Studio at BestBuy with my iPhone and my songs and I was honestly impressed, given the many negative reviews by experts/audiophiles. I may have been biased by the style though, because they definitely are the best looking in my opinion. The bass just seemed to hit really hard to my satisfaction. I really liked this "type" of bass. If an amplifier will make these much better all around that would be great, as goes with all other headphones. I am hesitant to buy them because word on the web is that there are better headphones for the price out there that are all around better, and have awesome, hard-hitting bass.
Side-question - how hard would it be to get a fake Beats studio body, and put very good/ugly headphone guts into them?

I also tried out the SOL Republic Master Tracks. I'm not too sure about them though. They seem to sound nice but the bass wasn't really there.

I tried out the Logitech Ultimate Ears 6000 and the Sony MDR-X10 and really wasn't impressed. I felt the Beats Studio were simply better. BUT, I wasn't able to use my iPhone on the UE or Sony since Best Buy didn't have a jack exposed for them. So I had to settle for lame demonstration music. Only the Beats and SOL Republics had a jack for me.

What do you guys think about the Yamaha 300/400/500 and SOUL SL300 by Ludacris series?

I have come across the Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 multiple times online and always hear good things about them. I come close to buying them, but I can't tell if they look good enough or not, and they got a review score of a disappointing 60/100 from FindTheBest.com.

Thanks for reading and potentially helping me decide! I am sorry for being picky, I just don't want any regrets of course.

Feel free to suggest more too!

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 42
Consider getting JVC HA-S500 closed,on-ear, folding headphones, $60.
And a Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier, $63.
(The E11 comes with a bass boost)
Also get an LOD cable, to connect the iPhone's LOD port to the line-in on the iPhone.
(unless you have one of the newer iPhones that comes with a Lightning port).

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #3 of 42
How would these compare to the bass effect and quality of the Beats Studios with or without an amplifier? The JVC's don't look too bad either, and the internet has good things to say about the JVC's too.

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 42
Look into the Ultrasone HFI-580. Very good bass: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534029/fight-the-beats-hype-ultrasone-hfi-580-hfi-580-appreciation-thread

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 42
Hi!

You should also consider V Moda M100. You can read a lot about them in this forum.

Best Luck!

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #6 of 42
  How would these compare to the bass effect and quality of the Beats Studios with or without an amplifier? The JVC's don't look too bad either, and the internet has good things to say about the JVC's too.

Over all audio quality should at least equal the Beats.
I normally use my JVC HA-S500-Z (GunMetal Gray) plugged directly into my Sony E465, i use to use a FiiO E6, but really did not help enough, to compansat for having to deal with daisy chaining, E465>E6>JVCs.
(For someone that likes metal, might be nice to use headphones with the word "Metal' in it's description)
The JVC's should be easier to carry around.
The JVC's would not normally have the bass "loudness" of the Beats, but with using the Fiio E11, your getting something that should be better at driving headphones, then the iPhone, plus the E11 has a bass boost setting.
If down the line you decide your not happy with the JVCs, they are easy to sell off, for a decent return on your cash.

Another option in the Fiio X3, $200, should improve audio quality over your iPhone, plus should work fine without needing an add-on amplifier.

There might be some AT (Audio Technica) headphone that would work well for what you want, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know which offer the bass your looking for.
But the ATs should have not problem offering better over all sound quality, then the Beats.

Nov 15, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #9 of 42
You know, I would buy the Ultrasone HFI-580 right now, but they look ridiculous in pictures on people wearing them. How hard would it be to put the innards of these into a counterfeit pair of Beats Studios or Solo HD's?

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #10 of 42
You know, I would buy the Ultrasone HFI-580 right now, but they look ridiculous in pictures on people wearing them. How hard would it be to put the innards of these into a counterfeit pair of Beats Studios or Solo HD's?

I'll ignore the insult to all of us who like the look of the Ultrasones. LOL

You can't just swap stuff out that easily between headphones. If nothing else, enclosure design affects how drivers preform. Put drivers in another headphone, and it might not sound the same.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #13 of 42
I'll also have to vote on the V-Moda M-100s. The owner of V-Moda really prioritizes style, ruggedness and a "club" sound. Tons of colors and decals to choose from too. Check them out!

EDIT: Little history lesson - V-Moda has been doing the 'stylish' headphones long before Monster came on the scene with Beats :)

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #14 of 42
I wear and enjoy my Ultrasone HFI-780's to the grocery store all the time... While the others there are listening to canned Muzak and kids screaming! I am enjoying some Infected Mushroom, Blackmill and lately a lot of Disturbed and A7X.

Uber comfy HM5 Pads, Colorfly C3 DAP and FiiO E11 with the Bass Boost on 1... :)

But my recommendation to you my friend is to go back down to BestBuy and pick yourself up a pair of Beetz Pro as they will give you that sloppy muddy bass slam your looking for...
But the most important factor it seems for you is looks, so the Beetz Pro will indeed give you what you crave!
rolleyes.gif

beerchug.gif

Nov 15, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #15 of 42
Yes for style I would go with the V Moda M100! They have a lot of stylish options, additionally the Yamaha M500 looks very much like the beats, and it's getting very positive reviews! It may a good option for you. BUT there is also the UE 6000, which is for sale for about $100 in a number of online store, a UE 6000[100] + an E11 [60] + the price of a fiio X3 would put you right at about $360! I think the upgrade to a better music player will lead to a MUCH more enjoyable sound over all, additionally I hear a lot of postives about the UE 6000 [and I'g going to test a pair of them my self in the next week] 

Still... If you hate teh look of the UE6000 again a Yahama M500 is getting positive reviews on NICE bass, and they do look a lot like beats! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back